Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-26-2015, 01:57 AM
Horror > Everything

Great topic! Surprised I haven't see it sooner. How about...

The farmhouse in Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)- Brilliant and influential designs by Robert Burns. Unforgettable.

The movie theater in The Blob (1958)- When the monster oozes through the grates and the crowd freaks out and tears out of the theater and into the street... Horror bilss.

The Orca in Jaws - The scenes on Quint's fishing boat are epic. We see a lot of activity all over the vessel, so by the end of the movie the audience is familiar with every inch of the floating set. It's a great movie with a memorable setting for sure.
Honorable mention to The Rita, Captain Lucas's fishing vessel in The Creature From the Black lagoon. Another great on-water set.

The Cabin in Evil Dead (1981)- That creepy basement, the flimsy creaking doors, a porch swing that suddenly stops swinging for no apparent reason, the possessed woods surrounding the structure...man, I can put myself in this location just by visualizing it.

Every set and location in Nosferatu (1979) - Yes, EVERY. That settles that. Okay, a lot of it may be the stunning lighting and cinematography...but still, every.

The dance academy in Suspiria - The building is an enigma, which makes it a fitting set/location for this beautiful and puzzling Argento film. How those odd rooms and hallways make up a single structure, I have no idea but it all pulls together in a gorgeous but slightly askew way.

and my latest..

Allerdale Hall in Crimson Peak - You can feel the chill in this place! Its a cavernous, tragic and highly detailed set, and it contributes greatly to the films gothic awesomeness. The use of the mansions decay as metaphor is classic goth/romance. I can't wait to get back to the theater this weekend for a second watch. I'm looking forward to giving the look of the movie, and the Sharpe's home in particular, more attention.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:06 AM
The Big Bad Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo'd View Post
Great topic! Surprised I haven't see it sooner. How about...

The farmhouse in Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)- Brilliant and influential designs by Robert Burns. Unforgettable.

The movie theater in The Blob (1958)- When the monster oozes through the grates and the crowd freaks out and tears out of the theater and into the street... Horror bilss.

The Orca in Jaws - The scenes on Quint's fishing boat are epic. We see a lot of activity all over the vessel, so by the end of the movie the audience is familiar with every inch of the floating set. It's a great movie with a memorable setting for sure.
Honorable mention to The Rita, Captain Lucas's fishing vessel in The Creature From the Black lagoon. Another great on-water set.

The Cabin in Evil Dead (1981)- That creepy basement, the flimsy creaking doors, a porch swing that suddenly stops swinging for no apparent reason, the possessed woods surrounding the structure...man, I can put myself in this location just by visualizing it.

Every set and location in Nosferatu (1979) - Yes, EVERY. That settles that. Okay, a lot of it may be the stunning lighting and cinematography...but still, every.

The dance academy in Suspiria - The building is an enigma, which makes it a fitting set/location for this beautiful and puzzling Argento film. How those odd rooms and hallways make up a single structure, I have no idea but it all pulls together in a gorgeous but slightly askew way.

and my latest..

Allerdale Hall in Crimson Peak - You can feel the chill in this place! Its a cavernous, tragic and highly detailed set, and it contributes greatly to the films gothic awesomeness. The use of the mansions decay as metaphor is classic goth/romance. I can't wait to get back to the theater this weekend for a second watch. I'm looking forward to giving the look of the movie, and the Sharpe's home in particular, more attention.
I've been looking for a great response like yours since I started this thread like a year ago. Superb choices my friend.

Do you think I'm Spooky? -- Fox Mulder

I will not die born. -- Travis Meeks
Old 01-30-2016, 02:06 PM
Evil Dead

The Crimson Peak mansion (the only good thing about the film), Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Madmen plus the farmhouse from House of 1000 Corpses, and of course The Shining hotel.

Last edited by favabeans; 01-30-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:00 PM
Horror > Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog View Post
I've been looking for a great response like yours since I started this thread like a year ago. Superb choices my friend.
Nice of you to say, GhostDog. It was an excellent question to consider.