Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Evil Dead

I revisited the Bride of Frankenstein. Now that I have netflix I will be watching a lot more! :D I really like this film. I think it is funny when Minnie screams at the sight of the monster. The dramatic screaming is the best.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Demon from Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
Definitely with you on this. Sardonicus is a sadly overlooked film in Castle's body of work.
Yeah, that one and Homicidal are my two favorites of Castle's that I've seen.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:41 AM
Cranky

Not a horror film, but I recently saw The Criminal Code, a 1931 prison film about a young man who gets sent to jail for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Something seemed familiar about the guy who played the young man's cell mate, and when he spoke, his voice gave it away. The Criminal Code was one of 14 films Bpris Karloff appeared in, in 1931 alone, before he played the Creature and rocketed to stardom as the King of Horror.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 04-07-2013, 06:11 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Not a horror film, but I recently saw The Criminal Code, a 1931 prison film about a young man who gets sent to jail for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Something seemed familiar about the guy who played the young man's cell mate, and when he spoke, his voice gave it away. The Criminal Code was one of 14 films Bpris Karloff appeared in, in 1931 alone, before he played the Creature and rocketed to stardom as the King of Horror.
Isn't it the movie that Sammy and Orlok were watching at the hotel room in Targets?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 AM
Cranky

I didn't know that.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Pirate of Bengal

X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (1963)

"My friend, I'm closing in on the gods"

It's always a great treat to watch Don Rickles on any movie but the magic here comes along from none other than the director B-Horror king Roger Corman who was alone capable of doing such thoughtful & engrossing low budget sci-fi classic with such a seemingly cheesy title! Loved it! And one of the best performances of Ray Milland also, IMO.

>>: A-

Son of Frankenstein (1939)

Yeah..I should have seen it long time ago! Wow! What a cast and a superb follow up to James Whale's genre-defining 2 consecutive masterpieces! It's really become very rare to see such a great cast (Karloff-Lugosi-Rathbone!) wonderfully working together in a 3rd installment for a horror franchise. Lionel Atwill was also great in the role of Inspector Krogh with 'an arm torn out by the roots'! Along with its very smartly written script & direction the one other thing that I loved about this movie was its simple but very atmospheric, dark set design for Baron's old castle.

This very first "3rd entry" is not just another forced or potentially money making sequel for a horror movie series; I like to add it as one of the all time best in the genre that I have seen so far. A true Universal masterpiece.

>>: A
Old 04-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Cranky

Yay! Glad you liked it Roshiq!

Old 04-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Hellraiser

Watched Fritz Lang's "M." Peter Lorre is awesome.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 AM
For Vendetta

My first time watching this. My little Princess was adoring Dorothy throughout the film, and let out yelps of joy every time Toto hit the screen. I am glad I caught up with this classic - one of the finest films ever made, IMO. Need to get the Blu Ray asap.

* * * * ½
Old 04-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Evil Dead

I loved that scene also. I'm a devoted western fan and it was nice to see Franco Nero "pass the torch" to Jamie Foxx.
Speaking of westerns, here's my latest film:

"Six Black Horses" (1962)
-Audie Murphey, Dan Duryea

Plot: Audiemurphey.com

Saved from being hanged as a horse thief by Frank Jesse, (Dan Duryea), Ben Lane (Audie) and Frank meet up with Kelly (Joan O'Brien) who pays them to take her to a little town to be with her husband. In reality, Kelly is setting Frank up and wants to kill him because he killed her husband in a shootout. Encounters with Indians makes Frank decide he doesn't want to go further.(SPOILERS) Eventually, it comes to a showdown between Ben and Frank and Frank is killed.

Phantom's Review: Enjoyable, little "B" movie. Beautifully filmed, good acting and plenty of action. The plot is predictable, but not bad. Murphey is fine as his usual heroic self and Duryea seems a little more calm in this role than he has in others,
An entertaining Saturday afternoon film.

Last edited by _____V_____; 11-29-2013 at 12:44 AM.