Old 11-19-2017, 05:20 AM
No, fuck YOU

Thumb resize.

"The Show" 6/10

A good horror concept made totally wrong. Read the storyline and tell me you don't think "horror" instantly. Well... it isn't.

It's always a shame when a lot of famous faces doesn't make a movie any better.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:27 AM
Evil Dead

Under the Bed
Old 11-19-2017, 10:09 AM
Little Boo

Talking The Void, 2016, by J. Gillespie S. Kostanski

Long story short : I dig it as I love good old body explosion from the 80's (Braindead etc.) combined with a lovecraftian background and small budget that still provides efficient effects most of the time and...I love the animatronics, guys what else could I say ? It's fucking real, you feel like you can touch it and well...it's sticky, gruesome, dark, nothing like an Avengers movie !

Many references that I found even though I'm not such a horror connoisseur but there was definitely something from Carpenter. As for the plot I don't want to say too much, it begins with a mysterious religious group attacking a hospital (somewhat reminded me of the original-the good one- "Assault on Precinct 13") then supernatural events happen.

Yet there are flaws, obviously. Critics said that it lacked the ambition from the films it pays tribute to. Not so sure about this but in two scenes I thought the effects were...lazy. The plot is not perfect, characters may not be developped enough but to be honest I totally don't care : cool story, strange creatures, Lovecraft... it's still the deal.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:32 PM
ventricle

Two DVD rentals:

Split (2016)
7/10

A guy captures three young ladies.

Written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan. As the title may suggest, the lead antagonist has multiple personalities and is played, dare I say a tour de force performance, by James McAvoy (played the young Professor X in Xmen First Class and Future Past). But beyond that, it's simply mildly entertaining and surprisingly cliche. The writing has some depth, but not nearly deep, sharp or emotional enough that we ever care or take much notice. Lot's of old, old ground here.

Hacksaw Ridge (2016)
8/10

A true story, during WWII an young American Seventh-day Adventist Christian joins the Army to be a combat medic, while also being a conscious objector who will not kill, nor even carry a weapon. His fight begins in basic training and ends in the Battle of Okinawa.

Directed by Mel Gibson, including stars Vince Vaughn, Hugo Weaving and Sam Worthington, the film was nominated for many awards including Best Picture. The film is well made, and a very interesting true story. The film is packed with vicious Pacific War combat scenes. The script felt a bit simple and the characters largely caricatures of real people, but not to the extent that it was ruining my film immersion.

Netflix offering:

The Dinner (2017)
7/10

Two brothers, one a US congressman (Richard Gere) and their wives meet at a restaurant to discuss what to do about their teen boys who have gotten into some very serious trouble.

I haven't seen this level of character and background exposition in a film perhaps since Ordinary People. It's based on a Dutch novel of the same name, which explains the extensive novel-esque exposition. It has a bit of a The Great Gasbey going on. Has plenty of witty dialogue. For some reason the film leaves an ending issue unresolved. Along with that the ending is a bit unsatisfying.

Last edited by Sculpt; 11-20-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:58 AM
This is a test

The Dinner*(2017)

This sounds good. I liked "Ordinary People".
Old 11-20-2017, 06:21 PM
Evil Dead

Long time no see!! Here are my most recent movies, I think I might be missing a few......

The Dinner
1/10

Thor: Ragnarok
9/10

Justice League
10/10

Killing Ground
7/10

Atomic Blonde
10/10

Wind River
8/10

Jungle
8/10

Wish Upon
9/10

Jackals
6/10

Kidnap
5/10

War of the Planet of Apes
10/10

Annabelle: Creation
10/10

Bushwick
7/10

The Devil's Candy
7/10

Shot Caller
9/10

Brawl in Cell Block 99
10/10

Old 11-20-2017, 06:28 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Good Time (2017)

>>: A-
This one is on my list. It looks and sounds very interesting to me. I read in an interview with Robert that he actually lived in a dark, nasty basement while filming this movie so he could truly relate to his character and that this was his most challenging role thus far. I have a feeling that it won't disappoint me.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:37 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Two DVD rentals:

Split (2016)
6/10

A guy captures three young ladies.

Written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan. As the title may suggest, the lead antagonist has multiple personalities and is played, dare I say a tour de force performance, by James McAvoy (played the young Professor X in Xmen First Class and Future Past). But beyond that, it's simply mildly entertaining and surprisingly cliche. The writing has some depth, but not nearly deep, sharp or emotional enough that we ever care or take much notice. Lot's of old, old ground here.

Hacksaw Ridge (2016)
7/10

A true story, during WWII an young American Seventh-day Adventist Christian joins the Army to be a combat medic, while also being a conscious objector who will not kill, nor even carry a weapon. His fight begins in basic training and ends in the Battle of Okinawa.

Directed by Mel Gibson, including stars Vince Vaughn, Hugo Weaving and Sam Worthington, the film was nominated for many awards including Best Picture. The film is well made, and a very interesting true story. The film is packed with vicious Pacific War combat scenes. The script felt a bit simple and the characters largely caricatures of real people, but not to the extent that it was ruining my film immersion.
Well hello stranger! I do have to disagree with the two above choices....

I thought Hacksaw Ridge was an incredible movie and I felt the emotional attachment through the entire show. I thought the cast was an excellent choice, true to their characters. I had to buy it!!

Split was kick ass!! I love his portrayal of each personality; turning each character on and off in an instance. I guess I am bias too because he also happens to be one of my favorite actors! I will be buying it in the near future.....

Old 11-20-2017, 07:15 PM
This is a test

EXTINCTION 2015

3 survivors of a past zombie apocalypse fight to survive a new plague of zombies. The cold and snow and isolation was a bonus.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:43 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfantasy View Post
Well hello stranger! I do have to disagree with the two above choices....

I thought Hacksaw Ridge was an incredible movie and I felt the emotional attachment through the entire show. I thought the cast was an excellent choice, true to their characters. I had to buy it!!

Split was kick ass!! I love his portrayal of each personality; turning each character on and off in an instance. I guess I am bias too because he also happens to be one of my favorite actors! I will be buying it in the near future.....
Howdy, tfantasy! Nice to see ya about the place! Got a big family Thanksgiving meal planned?

Tags
movie