Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-18-2017, 10:47 AM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
If hiking & camping are in your near future.....it's best to avoid this movie.

Some really intense moments
Or places where bears live.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:03 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
I haven't done one of these in a while, but I have a lot to say about this movie.

***Minor spoilers***

The Bye Bye Man (2017)

"Three friends stumble upon the horrific origins of the Bye Bye Man, a mysterious figure they discover is the root cause of the evil behind man's most unspeakable acts."

The Bye Bye Man actually started out pretty decent. The opening scene was alright, and there were a couple of scenes with legitimate suspense, even though the acting wasn't very good. I thought it would be a pretty good teen thriller at first. After the first act though, it devolves into the usual bad jump scares and nonsensical plot. This could have been a decent movie if they kept the simplicity of the first act and didn't try to get too loud and flashy with the scares. The editing was also some of the worst I've seen. Several scenes ended halfway through conversations or awkwardly cut away from the violence to secure a PG-13 rating which was noticeable throughout the movie. Another glaring issue was the writing. The dialog was so awful in some scenes that it killed any tension and made that scene unintentionally funny. The characters seemed to forget everything they learned about the Bye Bye Man whenever they need to use that information. One big frustration was that Elliot, the protagonist, learned that if you realize you're not afraid of the Bye Bye Man, then you take his power away (yes, it's exactly like the Babadook.) However, instead of a harrowing climax where Elliot saves his friends by showing no fear in the midst of evil, everyone is just running around screaming acting like they have no clue what to do. The vague and shoddy backstory of the spirit, which is really just a couple flashbacks to some guy in the 60's who said the name and killed a bunch of people, is never used by the characters to their advantage and just seemed like an excuse to put in a bunch of gun violence. Because that's the REAL horror! The Bye Bye Man did have glimmers of hope early on, but it's just a sloppy effort to create a boring new horror villain.

3/10
That's too bad. I saw a film trailer -- with a scene of a dude changing sitting at a table, and it was really well done. Had my interest. It's too bad they couldn't just run with that, like 'The Ring' did. Nice review. Bye Bye Man getting the smack down.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:56 PM
Horror > Everything

Tremors
Old 01-19-2017, 06:20 PM
病気の

The Fall of The Krays, 2016. 5/10

Old 01-19-2017, 09:30 PM
No, fuck YOU

"La La Land" 2/10

1 for the vibrant colors and 1 for Ryan Gosling.

I'm not a big fan of musicals, but the few ones I do like have one thing in common. Catchy and memorable songs. La La Land just had singing and dancing to cover up a paper thin story it seemed. Movie also contained a lot of jazz... God..
Old 01-20-2017, 06:07 AM
Evil Dead

THE THING (2010)- Very good prequel to the 1982 John Carpenter classic that paid close attention and gave answers that were unknown in the JC film-like the ax in the wall, the two headed thing etc. Good acting and Mary Elizabeth Winstead is adorable. ****
Old 01-20-2017, 08:34 AM
Evil Dead

Borgman (2013)
I.M.D.B.
A vagrant enters the lives of an arrogant upper-class family, turning their lives into a psychological nightmare in the process.

Interesting movie. I wish it was a bit clearer what was going on, as I didn't quite get all of it, but despite the confusion I really enjoyed the movie. Bit of a thinker, this one. It kept me interested throughout. Worth a watch.
8/10
Old 01-20-2017, 09:28 AM
Evil Dead

Hollow Man
Old 01-20-2017, 09:34 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
"La La Land" 2/10

1 for the vibrant colors and 1 for Ryan Gosling.

I'm not a big fan of musicals, but the few ones I do like have one thing in common. Catchy and memorable songs. La La Land just had singing and dancing to cover up a paper thin story it seemed. Movie also contained a lot of jazz... God..
Havent seen it yet but i listened to a few of the songs and there is nothing unique or memorable about them at all. Cant be too good a musical if the songs suck plus Ryan Gosling has a really awkward way of singing

Old 01-21-2017, 05:04 AM
Evil Dead

The Wolfman 2010
We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story

Tags
movie