Old 12-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
One of my most cherished series. Can watch all 4 movies umpteen times and never get bored.

1) Raiders
2) Last Crusade
3) Temple of Doom
4) Crystal Skull

TBH, I have forgotten most bits of Crystal Skull, except that fantastic CGI-filled ending. As for chase sequences, three immediately come to mind:

1) Indy on a horse taking on ze Germans and their tanks to rescue Dad Connery in Last Crusade,

2) Young Indy being chased over a moving train (with bogies filled with circus shows, one had a snakes pit) in Last Crusade.

3) Indy and Dad Connery chased by Germans in motorcycles, again in Last Crusade.

Not so much as a chase sequence, but the one in Raiders where they are running around the streets of Cairo with Karen Allen loaded into a tall basket, culminating with the vegetable market scene.

Another good one is at the beginning of Raiders - Indy, booby traps, huge chasing boulder, natives and Belloq.

Those are all great moments and I'd also add the bar shoot-out, truck chase and Ark opening in Raiders, the opening of TOD and the bridge showdown in TOD.

It's one of my favorite series to marathon in one day. Though I usually like to watch them chronologically because even with TOD being a prequel, I feel it works better watched after Raiders because of it's incredible pace.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Hellraiser

Cool idea for a thread. Love Indiana Jones. Here goes-- my ranking and justification:

1. The Last Crusade

This comes first purely for nostalgia reasons-- it was the first Indy movie I saw. The sense of adventure in Crusade is massive. I love all the different locations, I love the epic mood of it. When viewing Crusade in context, I still think it holds up as a sequel. There is a scene in the beginning of the film, the transition between young Indy to older Indy where Ford says a line like 'I said... this belongs in a museum!' and then the familiar theme swells on the soundtrack. It's pure movie magic.

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark

The original, though I don't necessarily think the best. That beginning temple sequence, and then the chase through Egypt, it's all good.

3. Temple of Doom

A lot of people don't like this movie, but I do. I like how the second act takes place entirely indoors and underground, and then just explodes to the great outdoors with that stunning bridge sequence.

4. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I didn't like this one at all. Too much CGI. No cool moments.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:12 AM
Evil Dead

Nice summarization of the films though I do like the fourth much more than quite a few others.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:46 AM
That fucking Guy...

As a kid, I'd hadn't seen many things I'd consider as exciting as Temple.
Though now, I find it grates on me a little. My mind has it held as the "dumb" one, of the real parts of the series.

These days I'd probably rate them -
3, 1, and 2 slightly ahead of 4, which I didn't like too much for different reasons.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:10 AM
Evil Dead

If they make a fifth one how would you like to see it done? I'd like to see it darker in tone like TOD was and use a different mythology. I always thought the lost city of Atlantis would've been awesome for Indy to pursue for a final quest.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:12 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
If they make a fifth one how would you like to see it done? I'd like to see it darker in tone like TOD was and use a different mythology. I always thought the lost city of Atlantis would've been awesome for Indy to pursue for a final quest.
If there was a 5th one, I'd like to see a new young actor. It could just be a "prequel". It's really hard to top the Ark of the Covenant as far as archeological discoveries.

I think finding the city of Atlantis would be a good overall premise. He could find key artifacts acrosss the world before ending up there. Could have some extra terrestrial or secret society connection.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Evil Dead

I don't know if a prequel could be done, since the Young Indy TV series covered pretty much everything that could be done with a younger Indy. But maybe they could squeeze in another chapter.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:20 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
I don't know if a prequel could be done, since the Young Indy TV series covered pretty much everything that could be done with a younger Indy. But maybe they could squeeze in another chapter.
They, whoever owns the rights, can do whatever they want, and nobody would blink an eye. (Current post company excluded. ) They could just allude to it being 1938, and Indy is trying to find Atlantis. This isn't Star Wars or Star Trek. Nobody would care if that somehow appeared to contradict the timeline of the Young Indy TV series. Fans would just be very happy Indy films didn't die with Harrison Ford's age.

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-30-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:19 AM
Evil Dead

There's all sorts of cool artifacts that could be tied into the Atlantis mythology too for Indy to pursue.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Pepper's Ghost

Send a message via AIM to knife_fight
Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
One of my most cherished series. Can watch all 4 movies umpteen times and never get bored.

1) Raiders
2) Last Crusade
3) Temple of Doom
4) Crystal Skull
This is the same for me, except I like to pretend Crystal Skull doesn't exist. I have the same attitude about it as the Star Wars prequels.