Old 11-28-2020, 10:22 AM
Evil is Better

HDC Movie Fights

So i tried this once before and it failed but i think a large portion of that was i didn't explain the rules well enough so i'm going to try again and give a better explanation of the rules and try to adapt it a little better to make it more inclusive and more fun.

The game will work thusly:

There will be three judges, myself being one. If you'd like to be a judge for the first fight, all you need to do is post interest. The first two people who are interested will be my fellow judges. The same goes for the competitors. The first three people who show interest will be the competitors for the first fight. Each fight will change judges and competitors (Except myself as Host and Judge) thus giving many different people the chance to play and judge depending on what you would like to do.

The game will be a best of 4. Each round i will state the question which me and my fellow judges will come up with. The competitors will then give their answer with NO elaboration. Simply state your answer. After all competitors have given their answer, each competitor will have the chance to provide an opening statement on why they feel their answer is the best. Turns will be announced by myself to keep things in order. After all the opening statements have been given, the competitors can then begin to argue against the others choices while also defending their own. Once i feel enough time has gone by, i will call time and each competitor (Once again in turns, decided by me) will give their final statements. Nothing can be said after giving your final statement so if you go first others can comment on things you said during your statement but you can not have a rebuttal. The order in which you give your opening and final statements will change each round in order to keep things fair.

After the final statements have been given, myself and the other two judges will provide our answers based on who gave the best argument. Not necessarily who had the best choice, but the argument they provided. All the judges will be asked to stay impartial and to not choose based on their own personal preference but on the arguments provided.

The judges will give their choices once again in turn which will change each round to give the judges a chance to speak. If the first two judges each pick the same competitor, that competitor will win a point and we will move on to round 2. If the first two judges provide different choices, the third judge will pick a winner between the two choices we picked and not on the third competitor who got no votes. This will eliminate the chance of a 3 way tie.

First player to 4 points wins the fight and will be announced the HDC Movie Fights champion. They will then defend that title in the next movie fights against two new competitors.

The next movie fight will feature new competitors and judges for whoever wants to participate. I have considered having the two losing competitors from the previous round serve as judges for the next round but only if those players want to be a judge.

Since this is a horror movie forum, the questions will start off horror related but since we do branch out here and talk about other things, we will have questions that do not feature horror.

Some of the questions will hopefully invoke serious intellectual debate but some might also give way for silly answers and silly debates since this is also about having fun.

The point of this thread is to have fun and have debates about film and i will ask anyone participating to be respectful. I will not tolerate competitors insulting each other for their choices or becoming angry and unruly during the debates.

Some more things for clarification. The last time i tried to do this, there was some confusion on how this works. If there is a question that asks what is the best/worst movie etc. You do not have to have watched every movie from that year/director/genre etc. You simply have to pick one and argue for it. Were not trying to create a best of list, your answer does not have to become the definitive answer to this question, just simply an answer you are giving which can then be debated. So don't worry if you haven't seen every movie associated with this question, just pick one you like or don't like and argue why.

Also, it doesn't matter if you actually agree with your arguments or not. A fellow competitor might pick an answer that you actually agree with. As i said, the point of this is not to form a best of list or come up with definitive answers to movie questions but merely to come up with an answer and argue for it. There may be times when you have to argue against a movie or an answer that you actually agree with. Feel free to place arguments that you might not actually agree with in order to win. However your arguments must be based in truth. After each round before the judges give their answers, i will be fact checking the arguments to point out anything that was factually incorrect so lying will not help your argument.

If anyone has any further questions i can elaborate. If anyone wants to play, please say so and if anyone has any suggestions for how the game can be better, i am all ears as well. The point of this is to have fun debates and not devolve into arguments and any input is appreciated.

I really hope others will show interest in this as i feel like this could be a fun new game for us to play that can be played indefinitely.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:02 PM
ventricle

Good deal Villain! I'm a debate aficionado. I'd be happy to participate at either judge or debater. I can start with debater.

Last time there were some questions I didn't think were very enticing, or otherwise problematic. May I suggest you consider making a few questions and getting feedback from the other two judges, who might pick the best questions, suggest a tweak to the questions, or maybe offer a question themselves.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:24 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Good deal Villain! I'm a debate aficionado. I'd be happy to participate at either judge or debater. I can start with debater.

Last time there were some questions I didn't think were very enticing, or otherwise problematic. May I suggest you consider making a few questions and getting feedback from the other two judges, who might pick the best questions, suggest a tweak to the questions, or maybe offer a question themselves.
Thank you. This time i will be coming up with the questions with the other judges to take some of the pressure off me and to come up with more interesting questions

Old 11-28-2020, 05:35 PM
Evil is Better

We have our first competitor:

SCULPT

We still need two more competitors and two judges

Old 11-28-2020, 09:55 PM
HDC Idol

Jesus Christ. tldr me.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 11-29-2020, 01:46 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Jesus Christ. tldr me.

3 Competitors, 3 Judges.

We ask a question, competitors give us their answer with no elaboration. After everyone has given their answer, competitors give an opening statement on why they chose that answer. Once everyone has done that, competitors can argue about the picks until i call time. Then everyone gives one last final thought to close out the argument. You may not respond after giving a final thought. Judges decide individually who won based on the arguments. First to 4 points win.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:06 PM
Immortal horror fan

I'm confused and this kind of sounds like a court room trial.

But you got ChronoGrl to come back with that long post. Perhaps V will be next.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:08 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
I'm confused and this kind of sounds like a court room trial.

But you got ChronoGrl to come back with that long post. Perhaps V will be next.
If theres anything youre confused about, i can answer it. Sorry the post is long but i wanted to make sure everything was laid out and explained and the rules were established

Old 12-01-2020, 09:47 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
If theres anything youre confused about, i can answer it. Sorry the post is long but i wanted to make sure everything was laid out and explained and the rules were established
It just sounds overly long, complicated, and drawn out. All the opening statement and argument stuff over a forum. I'll watch and see how it works. But those simple contests that you guys had years ago seemed easier.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:12 AM
Evil is Better

Im basing this off a movie fights show on youtube and thats how the format works there. It works well that way because it gives order and allows everyone to talk but just forget it. We've had complicated contests here before such as HDC Idol and Battle Royale. This is simply a debate game.

This is why this forum is dying now. Nobody wants to participate in anything anymore. Nobody wants to do anything to make the forum grow. Enjoy endlessly posting about what movie you watched most recently and nothing else.

Im done

Closed Thread