Old 08-08-2018, 06:38 PM
ventricle

"A Quiet Place" Angra Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Those two movies are very different in many ways.

There’s a lot of “why’s” in A Quiet Place. No traps. No fighting back. People has just adjusted to these very limited but deadly creatures. And where did they come from, I have no idea.

I need more people to watch this movie so we can discuss it.
I saw A Quiet Place last night. It's out for rental now. Let's open for discussion.

The "issues of the time" shaped the way I viewed the film, which is I thought it was an allegory: is a metaphor in which a character, place or event is used to deliver a broader message about real-world issues and occurrences.

I couldn't help but see it as an allegory to the censorship of Free Speech we are seeing in the United States. In the film if they speak and "make noise", the creatures kill them. They're mostly safe if they speak in areas where there is an "equal volume" to they're speech -- as where the dad and son could yell in the waterfall.

I'm not sure what the waterfall represents in the real world, but apparently it's soon not going to be Facebook, YouTube and Spotify, as the creatures are now censoring Free Speech with the new mask of "Anti Hate Speech", and other characterizations, rather than debate or ignore it, which is what Free Speech and the Free Market Place of Ideas requires if Free Speech is to survive; and without which liberty and representative democracy cannot survive. We can hate and debate racism and other negative thoughts without engaging in censorship. That was my view of the film.

Last edited by Sculpt; 09-21-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:49 PM
Banned

I thought the acting in cinematography was nice but the actual writing in the story had so many plot holes. For example, the creatures would have heard the mother and father playing the music. The creatures would have heard the father and the daughter talking outside. The creatures would have killed the mother when she was screaming in the bathtub and they would have killed the baby that was making noises right next to one of them. And then at the end they act as if they finally found a way to kill them like no one ever tried shooting one of them before. I'm sorry, but the writing this movie is just so fucking lame I feel like someone with absolutely no credibility in screenwriting wrote this.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:40 PM
ventricle

SPOILERS BELOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningriser View Post
I thought the acting in cinematography was nice but the actual writing in the story had so many plot holes. For example, the creatures would have heard the mother and father playing the music. The creatures would have heard the father and the daughter talking outside. The creatures would have killed the mother when she was screaming in the bathtub and they would have killed the baby that was making noises right next to one of them. And then at the end they act as if they finally found a way to kill them like no one ever tried shooting one of them before. I'm sorry, but the writing this movie is just so fucking lame I feel like someone with absolutely no credibility in screenwriting wrote this.
Yeah, there were those physical inconsistencies, especially where the baby was making noise right next to the monster and it didn't hear it.

It was the tone from the girl's hearing aid that disabled the monsters which allowed the family to shoot them, whereas otherwise they would be too fast. They did that in Godzilla vs Monster Zero, and other films too. Nothing too original there.

I enjoyed it, and found the silence and sign language refreshing, but it was just OK.