Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Alone in Empy Town

Send a message via Skype™ to masterj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
A lot of sci-films happen in the future, why would you want it to look like today?
maybe It didn't came out right... That's what I wanted to say:
What we think about future is realised in those movies that are not very old... Because during years our thoughts about whole future era is changing, we are evolving, our whole culture is changing. Somethings that were impossible years back now are reality. And movies are part of our culture.
Some older movies even shows our future (for example, year 2000 :)) as controled by robots. But year 2000 has already happened and it wasn't like everyone predicted it to be.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Evil Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterj View Post
why would you compare something like that? Everyone has his or hers likes and dislikes. I really liked almost all the sci-fi movies from 90s that i watched. For me it is kinda hard to watch movie and 'feel' the horror when you see cars/atmosphere/people clothes from 70s. You see all those people and think: "cool clothes, disco age, dude, look at his hair" and it is good thing for adventure movie or even comedy, but when you're watching horror you kinda want to image what would you do when something like this happened
Most of the great horror movies are pre-1980. I just think that you're limiting yourself when you refuse to watch them. Sure, I was born in the 80s, but I have come to realize that just because a movie is older, that definitely does not mean that it's inferior. By watching older flicks, you get a better idea of the evolution of film and where we are headed. Plus, I kind of find that the poorer picture quality in itself adds some ambiance to a horror movie and makes it somehow scarier. Excuse the comparison, I'm an oddball and difficult to understand at times :D .
Old 11-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Alone in Empy Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painfulldeath View Post
Most of the great horror movies are pre-1980. I just think that you're limiting yourself when you refuse to watch them. Sure, I was born in the 80s, but I have come to realize that just because a movie is older, that definitely does not mean that it's inferior. By watching older flicks, you get a better idea of the evolution of film and where we are headed. Plus, I kind of find that the poorer picture quality in itself adds some ambiance to a horror movie and makes it somehow scarier. Excuse the comparison, I'm an oddball and difficult to understand at times :D .
I was born in 80s too :) By the way, I saw Night of the living dead from 60s (black and white version), Zombi, Day of the dead :D but I think I just don't like older movies. There I said it :) Of course looking 10 years back I'd be happy to see again first Alien or another zombie movie, but now I just want some 90s (Armageddon - THE BEST movie for me) :) maybe after 10 years I'll be watching only '00s (God, that would be a really short list of movies if compared to 90s...)

Last edited by masterj; 11-15-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Evil Alive

Quote:
I was born in 80s too :) By the way, I saw Night of the living dead from 60s (black and white version) :D but I think I just don't like older movies. There I said it :) Of course looking 10 years back I'd be happy to see again first Alien or another zombie movie, but now I just want some 90s (Armageddon - THE BEST movie for me) :) maybe after 10 years I'll be watching only '00s (God, that would be a really short list of movies if compared to 90s...)
That's cool. At least you're honest about it. I used to be the same way. Just watch out, there's a lot of vintage movie fans on this site that'll want to hang you for those comments.:D
Old 11-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Alone in Empy Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painfulldeath View Post
That's cool. At least you're honest about it. I used to be the same way. Just watch out, there's a lot of vintage movie fans on this site that'll want to hang you for those comments.:D
Okey... Gonna hide now :D
Old 11-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Okey... Gonna hide now :D
Nah, you're entitled to your opinion. Some may offer movie suggestions that you could find entertaining that are a bit older though so don't be incredibly closed minded. There are films out there that were way ahead of their time.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Can you dig it ?

Why ask for recommendations to watch and then tell people you don't want to see them ? You know everything about every movie apparently because you watched a few from the 80s so don't ask :rolleyes:
Old 11-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Alone in Empy Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSadistro View Post
Why ask for recommendations to watch and then tell people you don't want to see them ? You know everything about every movie apparently because you watched a few from the 80s so don't ask :rolleyes:
actually I said in first post: "I want something sci-fi/mystery from 1985-present"
:)

And I really hope that there are at least few good movies that I haven't saw from asked timeline. That's why I asked you guys for your help :)

There were few good recommendations that I haven't saw:
Funhause 1981 <- isn't really from 1985 but at least from 80s
Stephen King's Desperation 2006 <- trailer looks really promising and film is from 2006!

Last edited by masterj; 11-15-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Alone in Empy Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
Nah, you're entitled to your opinion. Some may offer movie suggestions that you could find entertaining that are a bit older though so don't be incredibly closed minded. There are films out there that were way ahead of their time.
I'm not really that close minded :) I always review all the suggestions and watch all the trailers of these films... If trailer looks interesting to me, then I'm ready to watch the movie :o
Old 11-16-2008, 05:09 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Chat Noire View Post
Is the movie pretty good? I tried reading the book and just couldn't get into it, which is weird since I usually love his books.
I REALLY liked it...It can't live up to the book, of course...But, the book starts out kinda slow, building the atmosphere, characters and storyline (typical of King), the movie just jumps right in there...I definitely recommend it (for what that's worth :p)...There were several times when it reminded me of Koontz's Phantoms, especially in a couple of police station scenes...It also made me think of King's Storm Of The Century in a few spots

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be

Last edited by bloodrayne; 11-16-2008 at 05:17 AM.