Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-03-2009, 04:26 AM
HDC Idol

Fantasy Game Recommendations - XBox 360 or PS3

Since you guys have always done me right in the rec department, I thought that this would be a good source for Fantasy game recommendations.

Turns out, I'm a PUSSY when it comes to horror games, so I think I'm going to try something more in the Fantasy genre. I have both an XBox 360 and a PS3, but I would prefer to get something on the XBox.
  • I've played Fable 2 and thought that it was REALLY disappointing.
  • I've also played some Obvlivion and found it kinda boring with some choppy UI (but I REALLY liked Fallout 3, so I think I need to give Oblivion another chance).
  • I've played Balder's Gate and Balder's Gate II all the way through and enjoyed both of those, but I want a fantasy game with a bit more story.

Any good recs for fantasy role playing games on the XBox 360? Or even the Xbox; I believe that my system is backwards compatible.

Thanks in advance.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 11-03-2009, 05:11 AM
Midnight toker

Dragon Age: Origins is probably a game you'll want to check out. Doesn't get released until Friday over here in the UK so I haven't played it, but it might be what you're looking for. Sounds like it has a deep story line and has been billed as the 'spiritual successor' to the Baldur's Gate series. Combat looks like point and click type of fighting so its not going to be as intense as Fallout 3, but you should definatley check out a few reviews and see what you think of it.

Other than that, I can't think of much that will match Fallout 3 or Oblivion. You might like the Morrowind series, I think there was a version released for the Xbox (not 360) but can't really remember, maybe worth a look. Oblivion is probably worth another look as well, once you get going, some of the sub stories are pretty good.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:26 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straker View Post
Dragon Age: Origins is probably a game you'll want to check out. Doesn't get released until Friday over here in the UK so I haven't played it, but it might be what you're looking for. Sounds like it has a deep story line and has been billed as the 'spiritual successor' to the Baldur's Gate series. Combat looks like point and click type of fighting so its not going to be as intense as Fallout 3, but you should definatley check out a few reviews and see what you think of it.

Other than that, I can't think of much that will match Fallout 3 or Oblivion. You might like the Morrowind series, I think there was a version released for the Xbox (not 360) but can't really remember, maybe worth a look. Oblivion is probably worth another look as well, once you get going, some of the sub stories are pretty good.
Thanks, Straker! I will definitely check out Dragon Age: Origins. I've heard good stuff about Morrowind and I think that I actually have an XBox copy lying around - I'll have to dig it up. When I tried to play it before, I wasn't ready to get into the RPG aspect of it, but I think that I am now.

Have you or anyone else gotten into Final Fantasy? I haven't played a single one, but I know they have a huge following. I'm currently looking at FFXI because of the online aspect of it - Kinda looks like WOW, which really appeals to me (my at home PC sucks, so if I'm going to do a MMPRPG I'd prefer to do it on the XBox 360).

Edit: Just read a few scathing reviews of FFXI - Maybe I should look at other ones...

Final Fantasy feedback would be great to hear, too - I'm really curious about this series and am only starting to scratch the surface of online review and the whatnot.

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 11-03-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:44 AM
HDC Idol

Holy SHIT Dragon Age: Origins looks awesome:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/...s-video-review

*adds to Amazon Wish List*

Old 11-03-2009, 06:04 AM
Midnight toker

Thought you would probably like the look of Dragon Age. I wouldn't mind getting it myself, but with Left for Dead 2 and Modern Warfare 2 coming out this month I got some tough gaming choices myself.:confused:

As for Final Fantasy, I haven't played one since FFVII so can't offer much advice, although I did enjoy it and the story line was good. I've heard mixed reviews about FFXI some people love it, especially the online aspects, but there's enough terrible reviews out there to make it a gamble purchase. FFXIII is released sometime in 2010 though and the previews of that look impressive so maybe hold off FF series until FFXIII. Problem is there just isn't a lot of choice out there for fantasy/ rpg fans on the consoles and when compared to PC versions they usually come up short.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Holy SHIT Dragon Age: Origins looks awesome:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/...s-video-review

*adds to Amazon Wish List*
Getting it this month myself. :)

My brother in law just lent me Lost Odyssey and swears it's great (despite the load times).

Have you tried Mass Effect at all? It's more sci-fi but it's pretty well done, kind of fun.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straker View Post
Thought you would probably like the look of Dragon Age. I wouldn't mind getting it myself, but with Left for Dead 2 and Modern Warfare 2 coming out this month I got some tough gaming choices myself.:confused:

As for Final Fantasy, I haven't played one since FFVII so can't offer much advice, although I did enjoy it and the story line was good. I've heard mixed reviews about FFXI some people love it, especially the online aspects, but there's enough terrible reviews out there to make it a gamble purchase. FFXIII is released sometime in 2010 though and the previews of that look impressive so maybe hold off FF series until FFXIII. Problem is there just isn't a lot of choice out there for fantasy/ rpg fans on the consoles and when compared to PC versions they usually come up short.
Yeah, I think I might wait for FFXIII - It sounds as though MMORPG games might need to remain on the PC for now; I don't feel like buying a USB keyboard or paying the monthly fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
Getting it this month myself. :)

My brother in law just lent me Lost Odyssey and swears it's great (despite the load times).

Have you tried Mass Effect at all? It's more sci-fi but it's pretty well done, kind of fun.
I'll have to check out Lost Odyssey - Thanks for the rec. Have you had a chance to play it yourself? What's your feedback?

I own Mass Effect and couldn't get into it when I bought it; I think because I wasn't ready for an RPG at the time. Also, I'm REALLY bad at shooters and got my ass kicked a lot really early on, which was frustrating. I might give it a try again, though.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
I own Mass Effect and couldn't get into it when I bought it; I think because I wasn't ready for an RPG at the time. Also, I'm REALLY bad at shooters and got my ass kicked a lot really early on, which was frustrating. I might give it a try again, though.
I need to get back into it, I played for a few hours and quit without saving so I didn't go back. What I played was interesting though. I'm glad it's fall/winter now and I'll have time to play games again. I may need you to take a break from fantasy land so you and Ferret can walk me through Left 4 Dead Crash Course ;) .
Old 11-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Minister of the Sinister

Mass Effect was a blast, but if you struggle with FPS games... then I'de check out; Lost Odyssey*, Eternal Sonata, or Star Ocean: The Last Hope. Those are fun turn based RPGs.

(*= highly recommend)

--The Piz is watching you--
Old 11-06-2009, 12:14 PM
No, fuck YOU

If you're a WOW nut, i'd recommend Sacred 2.