Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-16-2009, 06:23 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally Posted by VampiricClown View Post
Nah, I haven't yet. Honestly, I wasn't aware that there was a novel.

Is this the one you're talking about?

Amazon Link

I'm going to order some stuff from Amazon soon, hopefully. I may add it to my cart as well.
That would be the one.

You'll find the plot is pretty much identical, but the characters and events are more fleshed out and the imagery is just stunning. One of the few books that genuinely disturbed my sleep.

That said...now I'm building it up for you, so you'll probably wind up in the same boat as you did with the movie...err, sorry about that :o
Old 07-16-2009, 06:48 PM
She's under the stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampiricClown View Post
The Exorcist (1973)

My first time watching this.

My Review
I just can't believe you hadn't seen it before. It's like this guy today asking me who sings that song that goes ... 8 days a week I love, love,love,love you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
Because you want his maggot ridden dick dontcha
Old 07-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Tenant

I've liked The Exorcist more and more every time I've watched it over the years, and now its one of my very favorites. I think the key revelation for me was when I realized that this was less a cheap-shock horror movie and more an intense personal drama about a priest thrown into a world of unknown on a very normal street corner. The film is called The Exorcist, not "The Exorcism", "Reagan", "The Demon", etc.

I don't even look at it as a horror movie anymore. Instead, I see it as one of the most interesting blends of sincere dramatic realism and disturbing supernaturalism ever put to celluloid.

And Return, I still stand by my opnion that you should give the film another try. You liked The French Connection- absorb Friedkin's style in this one; the gritty nature of the cinematography, the quiet moments. The performances by Von Sydow and the rest of the bunch are enough to make the film something special.

I do agree that years of hyping could ruin the first viewing experience for someone- probably because the film has been hyped for all the wrong reasons.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:43 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)

Hysterical! Can't believe I waited so long to see this - a modern comedy classic for sure.

I wish it hadn't bothered so much with the narrative though...the "real" sequences were absolutely brilliant, but the scenes with just Borat and Azamat were mostly pretty inept. Still, it wasn't enough to detract from the film and I was in awe of how far Cohen went past the limits of good taste. A comedian with serious balls - I've always enjoyed the Ali G show, and now that I've finally watched this I'm pretty stoked to check out Brüno.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:49 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post
And Return, I still stand by my opnion that you should give the film another try. You liked The French Connection- absorb Friedkin's style in this one; the gritty nature of the cinematography, the quiet moments. The performances by Sydow and the rest of the bunch are enough to make the film something special.
I've re-watched it a couple times since when we had our debates about it...found a new appreciation for it, definitely. There's no question that it's a great film - still, like VC, I don't find it "scary" in the least, and personally I think I'll always prefer the book.

But yeah...I've learned to love it since the times I used to bash it back in the day, heh. (But for the life of me I still can't convince myself to sit through Jaws again, as much as I want to like it ;))
Old 07-16-2009, 08:29 PM
mostly ghostly?

Last Year at Marienbad (1961)

Seeing this on Criterion is like seeing it again for the first time.

It is a giant maze. A tangled web.
Haunting, surreal, and a timeless puzzle.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:30 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

The new HARRY POTTER & THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE

Nice tone. Excellent comedy. Weak action. Terrible finale.

2nd best in the series behind PRISONER OF AZKABAN - but I'm still hoping for something "magical" from this franchise.

7/10

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 07-17-2009, 04:16 AM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
Last Year at Marienbad (1961)

Seeing this on Criterion is like seeing it again for the first time.

It is a giant maze. A tangled web.
Haunting, surreal, and a timeless puzzle.
I'm going to sit down with my copy this weekend. :)
Old 07-17-2009, 07:46 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

The Baron of Arizona

A classic b/w period drama from Sam Fuller starring Vincent Price as a swindler/con-man trying to claim the entire Arizona territory for himself through forgery & lies. Price is fantastic as a not-so-villianous crook and this slice of history is entertaining and enlightening, but the story-telling is a bit limp.

A fun film, not a great one but recommended for fans of Price.

6.5/10

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post
The new HARRY POTTER & THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE

Nice tone. Excellent comedy. Weak action. Terrible finale.

2nd best in the series behind PRISONER OF AZKABAN - but I'm still hoping for something "magical" from this franchise.

7/10
I can't think of a franchise that has sustained the level of quality that Harry Potter has for six films...