Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-30-2014, 07:00 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
The Grudge

8/10
Good, I've wanting to see this for awhile. Plus, I would pretty much watch Sarah reading the Constitution.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:00 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
Somebody doesn't like Ed Wood flicks...

I just saw Intersteller and I really liked it, not as much as some people (I thought it was a bit slow) but I'd say it's easily one of the best movies I've seen this year.
I had plans to see it, but I never got around to seeing it... I've been looking forward to Interstellar for a while now.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:04 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Good, I've wanting to see this for awhile. Plus, I would pretty much watch Sarah reading the Constitution.
I was really surprised by it. After it was over, I almost wanted to watch it again. That's a guaranteed DVD buy for me.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:42 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
I rewatched A Tale of Two Sisters, and I understand what happened now. That's some crazy stuff.
I don't tend to go for films like this -- "back from mental institution, strange things happen at home".

I'm not going to see this. Would you tell me what were the "surprising revelations and shocking conclusion"?

Old 11-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I don't tend to go for films like this -- "back from mental institution, strange things happen at home".

I'm not going to see this. Would you tell me what were the "surprising revelations and shocking conclusion"?
I'll put it in white.

Su-mi had multiple personality disorder, and the stepmother and her sister were her other personalities. Almost the entire movie was a hallucination. The sister was dead the whole time, and the stepmother wasn't actually there until almost the end of the movie.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:37 PM
Evil Sweat

The Maze Runner (2014)
C+
Little bit better than I expected.
Everything else is quite typical and predictable for a movie like this.

Asmodexia (2014)
B+
"Five days in the lives of an exorcist (Eloy Palma) and his granddaughter (Alba), working in the Barcelona area."
Not your average exorcism flick. Quite original and better than I expected.
I recommend it.

I just read that is the first full length movie from this director/writer so I'm keeping an eye on him.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:21 PM
Immortal horror fan

Some late mini reviews of movies that I watched during the Halloween month. It was a first for everything except for Hellraiser and Halloween H20. I put all the Hellraiser movies here since they start in the 80s and continue up to almost now.

Hellraiser -

I didn't remember as much of this movie as I thought. I did remember the Cenobite with the teeth. He's just a freaky character. This movie is crazy. The practical effects are impressive and the ending way out there. It reminded me of The Golden Child. I read the wiki on Hellraiser and the notes about the book. I think I might read the book as the movie doesn't make it clear why Frank is looking for that cube puzzle. It's kind of funny that if the wiki is correct and he's looking for wild sex and these Cenobites show up, that's messed up. Kind of like the ultimate form of what might happen if you go looking for hookers or those "To Catch a Predator" episodes when the weirdos show up looking for underage girls and find the reporter and cops. It's funny how they call them "predators." Like they are The Predator but they are just a bunch of sick people.

Anyway, this is the only movie in the series I saw before and it got me excited for the rest this time around. It's one of those don't get involved with the wrong woman type of stories. I look forward to the remake now because if Clive Barker is doing it, there shouldn't be a major problem. It could be awesome using someone who would be a modern day Frank. Have him cheating, lying, stealing, committing crimes, etc. Bring in the wild stuff you can find online without even trying. The remake could be crazy good. The idea that a guy that's not all there or under the influence could think that there is a box that could open up new fantasies. It's like hearing about a new drug or the real existence of a lamp that grants three wishes. It's sounds crazy but what's the harm in trying?

I don't see the remake turning out to be a Platinum Dunes type of remake. But I do believe that the original is the best in the series after watching almost all of the movies. There is something in the look and feel of the movie that makes it an old school horror movie. A gritty realism to it. Very classic. The soundtrack is good too. I'm listening to it as I type these reviews. I like Ashley Laurence as the daughter. She's very pretty. Her style in the movie is very 80s and familiar. But I can't place it. Overall I like this one a lot. It's a real dark horror movie.

Hellraiser 2 -

I didn't like this one as much as the first. And after watching all of them, either here or really with Hellrasier 3 is where the series starts a downward slide. I thought this sequel pushed the horror fantasy a bit more. The hospital was way too dirty. I something that I didn't like about the original. And the ending twist with the new Cenobite wasn't that good. I do think the story of the puzzle box lends itself to many other stories. But perhaps these stories should be like Friday the 13th type stories. What happens when people break the rules or go too far, in the example of Hellraiser, which lead to Pinhead showing up. But l like the continuation with Kirsty Cotton. She's a character that you are attached to from the minute you see her in the first movie.

Hellraiser 3 -

Here's where things go bad. The lead actress is one of the women from Star Trek Deep Space Nine. I thought she was fine in that TV show. But her acting here seems more like model who just became an actress. Maybe that's kind of what it's supposed to be though. As her apartment seems pretty luxurious for someone who isn't getting that many news stories. Also, I had to look up the date of this movie. I don't watch the news much but when I used to at times I realized that something was wrong with it. That the lower networks usually had more women leg shots. It's funny that it's mentioned here and the movie is from the early 90s.

I will say that the sex while smoking a cigarette scene is just so seedy awesome that it's cool. And what Pinhead does to that club crowd at one time tops anything from Jason, Freddy, or Michael Myers. But then it's also out of character even though they kind of give a reason for it. Yet Pinhead to me isn't really a slasher type character. He's a punishment character. Similar to Jason in a sense but darker. Once Pinhead and his gang shows up there should be no escape if you've gone down that route. And in this movie the humanizing and slasher stuff seemed to get away from the original intent of the first movie. And the new Cenobites just like in Part 2 were lame.

Hellraiser 4 -

It seems like Pinhead beat Jason to space. I didn't really like this one much. It was cool seeing the origin of the puzzle box and how the story continued. But yet more new uninspired Cenobites and a surprising conclusion made this one seem a bit like a cash grab sequel.

Hellraiser 5 -

I was surprised that this one has no reference to Part 4. I guess it's supposed to be in the time between. But the movie feels like a 90s serial killer B movie right down to the ending credits music. Which isn't bad but just goes to the whole feel of the movie. At one point it got so crazy that I felt like I was watching a David Lynch movie. The movie has one of those ending twists I talked about in a review from a month or so ago but it's ok here because we are dealing with demons. Yet still it's a odd movie coming after Part 4. You would think they would have gone for a full reboot.

Hellraiser 6 -

This movie has one of the better twists that I've seen. I thought I was ahead of the movie and was upset through the majority of it. The movie felt like a repeat of Part 5 too just with a different tone and from the perspective of an office worker instead of cop. The main character also somehow lives in a rundown apartment with high end or replicas of high end furniture. Go figure. But I did like this one because of the return of a main character from the first two movies.

Hellraiser 7 -

I didn't get the ending to this one or how the one character was doing what he was doing using the puzzle box. It was kind of sad though because at least you care about the main character and her journey. I read on the wiki that this movie and the previous two were turned into Hellraiser movies. That they weren't originally written as Hellraiser movies. I guess that's ok as long as you make a good reason for Pinhead to be in the movie. Part 6 wasn't that bad. But with this one, it doesn't have a good explanation for what's happening. Or how Pinhead allowed it to happen. The ending didn't make much sense either.

Hellraiser 8 -

Easily the worst of the series. I wanted to like it too but the twist is terrible. So is the storytelling. I saw a few reviews mentioning how bad this one is. But I thought maybe they were wrong. But they aren't. The Hellraiser videogame is bad too. I think if you don't have the budget or creativity to design something resembling a computer interface or videogame that's supposed to be popular you probably shouldn't even try. Totally unbelievable.

Hellraiser 9 -

I didn't see this one. It's not up on Comcast. From what I understand it's crap and the guy who played Pinhead in every other movie declined to be in this one. I watched the trailer and it looks to be the lowest quality one. Maybe I'll check it out one day. But I'm not going to go out of my way to see it.

Last edited by ImmortalSlasher; 11-30-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Immortal horror fan

Hellraiser Thoughts -

Overall, I like Pinhead and the idea of the puzzle box. The first movie is the one to see. Perhaps Part 2 and 6 if you are curious about some of the sequels. But the others, unless you like horror movies and the Cenobites, can be missed. I will say that these are dark horror movies and not much fun like a Friday the 13th, Halloween, or some Nightmare on Elm Street movies. I can see how Hellraiser movies would be for a different sort of crowd. I searched for real life Hellraiser clubs even though I read somewhere that Clive Barker was just influenced by S&M clubs. It would be kind of cool if there was a Hellraiser cube styled club out there. Not the full on S&M as I find the whole girl in leather mask with piercings everywhere kind of odd. But something like that building at the end of Part 3 and in Part 4.

Another thing, I had a few strange sexual dreams after seeing these movies. I remember meeting the devil in one. He was masquerading as a social worker / helper type. I was looking for some place to live. It was cold and snowing in a rundown area, a few blocks outside of a big city. I remembered that he offered me a one bedroom in an apartment building. It was weird that this white rectangular building was around all these so so or abandoned homes. There was a nightclub with beautiful women at bottom of the building. That was the plus. I said no. It's kind of funny that I turned him down because I was thinking that all my stuff wouldn't fit in a one bedroom apartment.

As I walked away I remember seeing the blue and red flashing lights of the club and hearing the hum of loud music and thump of bass. In the windows I saw many beautiful women but they seemed sad not that I was walking away but that they were trapped there. Like they were cursed to live repeating the same life of club hookups and sleeping during the day forever. Thinking about it now the building was in the shape of an "L" with the apartments being the main "|" part and the lower level and club being the "_" part. Very weird.

Also, for the Halloween month Sideshow Toys released this Pinhead statue for order. I know there are puzzle box props out there too. But like a Freddy statue, I can never see myself owning this.

-----

Halloween H20 -

I think this is an ok movie if you like Halloween 2 or the idea that Laurie and Michael are related. The feel and tone of the movie is definitely different from the original Halloween. Michael even moves and fights differently. But I like the setting and boarding High School campus. It does seem too influenced from Scream at times. The humor killing in the opening in particular. For some reason I had a problem with the killing of the kids in this movie vs. the original. It didn't seem like they broke any rules. Perhaps they came off as younger than the kids in the original as well. This movie should have been the end of the series. It seems like they wrote it to end the series too. It's not a bad ending either.

A week or so after watching this one, I had a dream with I think a mixture of Laurie and Jamie Lee Curtis. I'm not sure. But sadly I had multiple dreams during it that when I tried to separate them afterwards I lost the details of the one with Laurie.

Last edited by ImmortalSlasher; 11-30-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:25 PM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Hellraiser -

I think I might read the book as the movie doesn't make it clear why Frank is looking for that cube puzzle. It's kind of funny that if the wiki is correct and he's looking for wild sex and these Cenobites show up, that's messed up.
I saw the movie some time ago and I think he mentioned it to the woman when they were talking. She was looking at the dirty pictures and I think he said something like "It's never enough..." or "Always more and more."
Something among those lines.
I only saw the first 3 movies and I haven't read any of the books so I know it has to be in one of the movies.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:06 AM
Great with a machete

What We Do In the Shadows 2014

9/10! What a great film. Super witty and clever. Excellent actors, committed to their roles. I thought this was refreshing and fun and I loved every minute of it. Viago was awesome, but Peter was my favourite character. Definitely recommend!!

Tags
movie