Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-07-2021, 01:39 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
The Letter (1940)
7/10

The Lady of this Indonesian rubber plantation (Betty Davis) just shot down a visitor on his way out of the house. She says it was a rape attempt, but since it's going to trail, we're just going to have to see how it all works out.

This film is nicely shot and acted, but is it really that enjoyable to watch? And how satisfying is the conclusion? This is a highly regarded film, nominated for all the big Oscar awards. I don't want to give anything away to anyone who may want to see it. I'll just say I didn't find the narrative particularly engrossing, nor the characters intriguing. I think the ending is depressing all around the block. As a sci-fi and horror fan, I can tell you I don't necessarily mind a non-happy ending, but this ending wasn't satisfying to me.
But honestly, Sculpt, did ANY Better Davis movie have a happy ending. Some great acting here by Herbert Marshall (hubby), James Stephenson (Lawyer) and Victor Sen Yung (the Oily aid)

HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1959)
Old 07-09-2021, 04:12 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
The killer shrews
Old 07-10-2021, 03:27 PM
Evil Dead

Attack of the crab monsters
Old 07-11-2021, 02:58 PM
Evil Dead

The unearthly
Old 07-11-2021, 11:42 PM
Evil Dead

THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1959)
Old 07-12-2021, 01:40 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
But honestly, Sculpt, did ANY Better Davis movie have a happy ending. Some great acting here by Herbert Marshall (hubby), James Stephenson (Lawyer) and Victor Sen Yung (the Oily aid)
LOL! I can't think of any happy-ending Betty Davis films, but I was happy enough with the ending Of Human Bondage.

I've seen All About Eve, was cool enough with the ending. I saw Baby Jane twice... and I really didn't like it either time.

Last edited by Sculpt; 07-13-2021 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 01:10 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
LOL! I can't think of any happy-ending Betty Davis films, but I was happy enough with the ending Of Human Bondage.

I've seen All About Eve, was cool enough with the ending. I saw Baby Jane twice... and I really didn't like it either time.

I think Everyone was happy with OF HUMAN BONDAGE finale! AAE is excellent and WHTBJ hasn't aged well.

THE BAD SEED (1956). Not as good as when I was 9...Patty McCormick is creepy as the seemingly "perfect"little girl who has seriously sociopathic tendencies, as well as being cloying...can almost see her as a VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED child. Biggest problem with the whole film is it's very stagey and pretty much moves like the play. Nancy Kelly for one is so manic in so many scenes that the impact is lost...also a very unflattering hairstyle/dress sense, reminding Me of late Judy Garland; and She was an attractive woman. For Me, the best scenes involve Eileen Heckart (Oscar winner for 1972's BUTTERFLYS ARE FREE), whose drunken grief is almost overpowering. ***
Old 07-25-2021, 06:24 PM
Penthouse Pauper

Sudden Fear-1952.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:48 PM
Evil Dead

Dead men walk
Old 07-31-2021, 12:57 AM
Evil Dead

I can't help but love films like The Fly*.

By today's standards, horror films of the fifties and sixties have a certain undeniable camp factor to them. Not that hard with all the "Oh Darling"-lines and all. But it would be unfair to claim that that makes them less ejoyable.

Also, Vincent Price is growing on me. His delivery, his voice, his look,... I'm starting to see the charisma and the style that turned him into the icon that he is today.

In comparison to the Cronenberg version, the story is more focused on drama and less on effects and gore. That said, the fly vision with the many faces of Patricia Owens is pretty impressive. And the special effect at the end was well done too. Props to the make up department there.

A last thing that struck me was the fact that the film was set and filmed in Montreal. Wonder if there was a particular reason for that. Early form of tax shelter? Or just practical? Anyway, you don't really notice, apart from the names of the characters and the fact they throw in a few French wordsevery now and then - though you cannot really hear the Quebec accent.