Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-12-2021, 02:39 AM
Evil Dead

MAY (2002). Angela Bettis is very good as the extremely lonely girl. who decides to follow her Mom's advice when little; "If You can't find a Friend, Make one." Decent support from Anna Faris and Jeremy Sisto and pretty gruesome in parts. ***
Old 09-12-2021, 10:53 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
And obviously, why remake Black Christmas? The only answer is for the producers to make money (off the name) and for crew/actors to work.

And damnitall, if you're going to be lame enough to "remake" Black Christmas, then take advantage of the opportunity to re-imagine it into something different
When it comes to cinematic quality, there is no reason to remake Black Christmas because the original still holds up.

That said, one of the (unintentional) qualities of the original is that it talked about a then groundbreaking subject, not in the least because it was right after Roe v Wade. So in that light, you can perfectly see where the 2019 remake comes from and, as you said, you can add something.

But the first thing to do is make an entertaining piece of cinema. I remember one review calling it "a script written by Lisa Simpson". Not to diss Lisa, but I can how that does not keep you on the edge of your seat.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:44 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
I also really liked the concept of the sound causing the zombies (as I recall) -- symbolic, I think, of an idea causing a threat.
What are your thoughts on the idea that the characters had to avoid terms of endearment?
Old 09-12-2021, 03:14 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
Malignant
Old 09-12-2021, 05:52 PM
病気の

C.O.R.N., 2021 7/10

Director: Robin Christian

Thumb resize.

I liked this. The characters where natural and the gore pretty good.

The Curse of Humpty Dumpty, 2021. 7/10

Director: Scott Jeffrey

Thumb resize.

Yessssssssssssssssss! I love this kinda stuff!
Old 09-12-2021, 07:32 PM
Evil Dead

Clubhouse detectives
Old 09-13-2021, 02:26 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
What are your thoughts on the idea that the characters had to avoid terms of endearment?
Sorry, it's been a long time since I've seen it. I hadn't heard anything about that. How'd that scenario go?

Old 09-13-2021, 05:14 PM
Evil Dead

Just like dad
Old 09-14-2021, 07:26 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
Funny how most people knew smoking was bad way before 1992. I always thought cigarettes were adult candy in the old movie days. But it would still be years before that and that inside movie about cigarette companies before laws against smoking would start. Also preventing ads towards children.

Anyways, I'm going to watch the original before the new one as well.
Quote:
Funny about smoking...

When I was in grammar school we were taught about oral cancer and lung cancer with all the disgusting pictures. That had an impact on me not to smoke.

But probably bigger impact was my folks didn't smoke. My grandpa pretty much chained smoked. That ashtray odor didn't smell good, but the house also always smelled like sautéed onions.

Also, as a young adult on, I bummed cigarettes all the time from my friends who smoked, especially when drinking. They wanted me to smoke with them. I never really got anything out of it besides the physical routine which satisfied my fidgeting habit. I never had the desire to go out and buy a pack. I guess I'm somehow immune to nicotine addiction, or whatever desired effect it's supposed to have. I don't know how rare that is.
I guess it's a case of growing insight and that can take it's time. For the young, it does not grow fast enough and for the old, it grows too fast. I grew up with slogans like "Smoking? As long as it's civil". A generation that grows up with anti smoking adds will look at that differently.

This add is a good example. From my generation, knowing the drugs these two have done, my first thought is: And you're going to tell me not to smoke? Really? Whereas someone from a later generation might be more likely to say; Does not matter, they're right.

And I can only speak for my own experience, but in the meantime, there seemed to be a time (about a decade) where people were somewhere in between. Yeah, we know it's bad, but it's bad in a too much booze is bad kind of way. For a lot of people, it might have still felt more like a vice than as something genuinely dangerous.

Plus from the way I quit, I realise it's easy for me to say, because I was never really addicted or felt that way.

Last edited by Tommy Jarvis; 09-14-2021 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:03 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamahorrorfan87 View Post
Malignant
What'd ya think, Bama? I like Wan's work for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
I guess it's a case of growing insight and that can take it's time. For the young, it does not grow fast enough and for the young, it grows too fast. I grew up with slogans like "Smoking? As long as it's civil". A generation that grows up with anti smoking adds will look at that differently.

This add is a good example. From my generation, knowing the drugs these two have done, my first thought is: And you're going to tell me not to smoke? Really? Whereas someone from a later generation might be more likely to say; Does not matter, they're right.

And I can only speak for my own experience, but in the meantime, there seemed to be a time (about a decade) where people were somewhere in between. Yeah, we know it's bad, but it's bad in a too much booze is bad kind of way. For a lot of people, it might have still felt more like a vice than as something genuinely dangerous.

Plus from the way I quit, I realise it's easy for me to say, because I was never really addicted or felt that way.
For sure. I'm thankful I didn't get hooked. No credit to me. I have lot's of friends who are hooked and wished they weren't.

Tags
movie