Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-17-2013, 07:26 PM
Evil Puppy

This Halloween, you have 8 movies to introduce somebody to horror.

So your buddy doesn't know anything about horror... it's a shame I know, you're not even sure why you're friends with that person but that's beside the point. The point is that this week your friend wants you to introduce them to the horror genre. That sounds fun right? Kind of, they've set aside time to watch two movies a day, every other day for one week starting on Monday. You have 8 movies to show your friend the classic side, the gory side, the crazy side, the funny side, and all the aspects of horror cinema that you can squeeze into eight flicks. Which eight do you pick?

I think I would go with...

Nosferatu
Bride of Frankenstein

Night of the Living Dead
Evil Dead 2

Creepshow
Suspiria

The Thing
Cabin in the Woods

But even while typing those eight I came up with so many others I could put into each and every spot. I know these "top horror movie" threads have been done to death... and I don't care.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Cranky

Classic
Frankenstein- Though Bride is my favorite horror film, I think without the first film as a pelude a lot would be lost, so I'd start with the original. Plenty of time later to get to the sequel.
Horror of Dracula- Bring on the other iconic monster with Hammer's masterful take on the tale, and introduce two iconic personalities, Cushing and Lee.

Gory
Well, my gory films won't actually be that gory. I'll reinterpret this category to mean films that up the ante with violence and scares.
Halloween- a near perfect masterpiece of terror.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre- Not that gory, but still violent and shocking.

Crazy
Repulsion- I'll go literal with this selection of a true masterpiece film depicting a woman's descent into madness.
Carrie- Original version. Some cheese factor, but Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie elevate this film to brilliance.

Funny
Beetlejuice- It just doesn't get much funnier than this film while still managing some scares.
The Raven- My friend probably won't get why this film is so funny, but I don't care. I'll just be geeking out the whole time about Price, Karloff and Lorre.
I didn't choose Young Frankenstein because he needs to know more about horror before he sees that.

Nice post, Despare. It will be interesting seeing people's lists.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff

Last edited by neverending; 10-17-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverending View Post
Classic
Frankenstein- Though Bride is my favorite horror film, I think without the first film as a pelude a lot would be lost, so I'd start with the original. Plenty of time later to get to the sequel.
Horror of Dracula- Bring on the other iconic monster with Hammer's masterful take on the tale, and introduce to iconic personalities, Cushing and Lee.

Gory
Well, my gory films won't actually be that gory. I'll reinterpret this category to mean films that up the ante with violence and scares.
Halloween- a near perfect masterpiece of terror.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre- Not that gory, but still violent and shocking.

Crazy
Repulsion- I'll go literal with this selection of a true masterpiece film depicting a woman's descent into madness.
Carrie- Original version. Some cheese factor, but Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie elevate this film to brilliance.

Funny
Beetlejuice- It just doesn't get much funnier than this film while still managing some scares.
The Raven- My friend probably won't get why this film is so funny, but I don't care. I'll just be geeking out the whole time about Price, Karloff and Lorre.
I didn't choose Young Frankenstein because he needs to know more about horror before he sees that.

Nice post, Despare. It will be interesting seeing people's lists.
Great choices! Ugh, I'd have to kidnap them and forcefeed Halloween to their eyes... or replace something on my list with it like a normal person would do...

As for the categories, you don't have to go with what I wrote, just throwing out some very general sub-genres within horror.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Spookshow

Halloween (original)
Night of the Living Dead

Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein

Dracula (Hammer)
The Mummy (Hammer)

House on Haunted Hill (original)
House of Usher

"Enjoy that dead girl's body"

Last edited by DrFrankensteinsGirl; 10-17-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Evil Dead

Eight is tough. First of all I wouldn't limit yourself to only two of these arbitrary types, crazy, funny, gory, etc, because the best tend to overlap in those respects, and also it is a narrows your selection and potentially eliminates some terrific movies that might be more compelling to someone unfamiliar with the genre. Here is a list of eight that I think gives a newbie a good introduction to a nice cross-section of horror and a good reason to seek out more:

Them
Night of the Living Dead (original)
The Reanimator
Evil Dead 2
The Haunting (original)
The Thing (82)
Audition
Black Sunday (Bava)

The classics I selected were the kind I thought would be more palatable to a modern viewer whose attention span might not make them amenable to the Universal classics or the German Expressionist classics. I also tried to avoid movies which are so brutal they might be a turn-off to the uninitiated, but I suppose Audition might be an exception to that, except everyone I have shown that to were blown away by it.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:00 AM
HDC's old chick

Classic:
Frankenstein
Son of Frankenstein

Gory:
Brain Dead
Dog Soldiers

Crazy:
Repulsion
Paranoiac

Funny:
Shaun of the Dead
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein
Old 10-18-2013, 06:53 AM
A little glass vial?

Send a message via MSN to nightmare_of _death Send a message via Yahoo to nightmare_of _death Send a message via Skype™ to nightmare_of _death
Tough to choose just eight. I try and introduce horror to people year round. I tend to choose.

Suspiria
Audition ( most people i show this to get bored,or dont like subs.) I love them personally.
Evil Dead
Repo! The genetic opera (funny,scary,and a musical)
Frankenstein
Jaws
Zombi
Psycho
Old 10-31-2013, 09:56 AM
Horror Fan

Just strapped in some friends and am playing I Spit On Your Grave. Guys, this is awkward...

Old 10-31-2013, 12:48 PM
A little glass vial?

Send a message via MSN to nightmare_of _death Send a message via Yahoo to nightmare_of _death Send a message via Skype™ to nightmare_of _death
it was awkward when I showed friends "Martyrs" I think that one scarred them for life.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:42 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
I've not looked at anyone else's choices (except Despare's) so I'm not influenced/put off saying what I would say to be more original :p

Classic
Nosferatu
The Curse of Frankenstein

Gory
The Thing
Hobo With a Shotgun

Crazy
Basket Case
The Abominable Dr. Phibes

Funny
Brain Dead (Dead Alive) - also equally suited to gore
The Cabin in the Woods - the last one I'd show so that hopefully they got a few more tropes.

The Ferrets like it...