Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
I've loved Tremors since I was a kid even though scary movies terrified me as a kid
It's one of the few less serious horror movies that I genuinely enjoyed.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Pirate of Bengal

Quote:
I've loved Tremors since I was a kid even though scary movies terrified me as a kid
Same here. It's always been a part of my wonderful fun childhood days! Even few weeks back it was showing on a TV channel and I had a blast to revisit this one of my favorite all timers!!

Beast from 20,000 is also another great fun monster flick, it was even released just a year before when the Big G conquered Japan for the very first time!

Troll Hunter is a modern day masterpiece in Monster flick genre, IMO! Totally got me amazed how they pulled the idea and made it such cleverly & interesting way. The effects were great also.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:03 AM
HDC Idol

SO. Watched Poltergeist last night and it didn't disappoint. It's been a while since I've seen it but certain horrifying scenes, like the flesh peeling out has always stuck with me and definitely still freaked me out.

A couple of things that I picked up on for this viewing:

Typically in horror movies (and action movies in general), I hate it when you have multiple endings... The tension seems to end and THEN... and THEN... The Grudge remake is a perfect example of this that drives me crazy.

As for Poltergeist, though, after Carolanne is recovered, the tension picks up again - The hauntings continue - And these scenes are really, truly scary - The scene of the wife falling into the pool with the corpses - Ugh, yet another scene that has always stuck with me and it absolutely creeped me out this time as well - Disgusting and horrifying. I also love this woman's struggle to get to her children, the monster that appears in front of their door, and how she ultimately saves them.

I loved it.

I think there was something else I was going to write about but for the life of me I can't remember.

Bottom line: Still successful and horrifying after all these years.

I tried watching Part II last night but ultimately gave up - I couldn't get into it, I thought that some of the dialogue was just awful and there was no tension. Sorry, but I didn't bother with Part III either.

Quote:
And now the next week is......

GIANT MONSTER WEEK

Every horror fan has a subgenre that they call their own, a personal favorite that they feel strongly about. For me, it's giant monster movies. With that, here are the three movies i will be watching for this week:

Hope everyone can watch as well and share your thoughts. I'll be sharing mine as i watch them.
Well this is exciting! I'll make an effort to watch Troll Hunter, at a minimum. And I'll weigh in on the Tremors discussion when it comes up.

If Beast is streaming somewhere free I'll check it out as well!

Join my Facebook Horror Group!
Old 09-21-2014, 12:36 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
SO. Watched Poltergeist last night and it didn't disappoint. It's been a while since I've seen it but certain horrifying scenes, like the flesh peeling out has always stuck with me and definitely still freaked me out.

A couple of things that I picked up on for this viewing:

Typically in horror movies (and action movies in general), I hate it when you have multiple endings... The tension seems to end and THEN... and THEN... The Grudge remake is a perfect example of this that drives me crazy.

As for Poltergeist, though, after Carolanne is recovered, the tension picks up again - The hauntings continue - And these scenes are really, truly scary - The scene of the wife falling into the pool with the corpses - Ugh, yet another scene that has always stuck with me and it absolutely creeped me out this time as well - Disgusting and horrifying. I also love this woman's struggle to get to her children, the monster that appears in front of their door, and how she ultimately saves them.

I loved it.

I think there was something else I was going to write about but for the life of me I can't remember.

Bottom line: Still successful and horrifying after all these years.

I tried watching Part II last night but ultimately gave up - I couldn't get into it, I thought that some of the dialogue was just awful and there was no tension. Sorry, but I didn't bother with Part III either.

Well this is exciting! I'll make an effort to watch Troll Hunter, at a minimum. And I'll weigh in on the Tremors discussion when it comes up.

If Beast is streaming somewhere free I'll check it out as well!
I actually like the fake-out ending. Where you think everything is okay and everyone is safe and then BAM!!! Never gets old for me. Yeah i don't blame you about the sequels, like i said i just watched those for the wife. Not a huge fan of them. Hope to hear from you about the new movies.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Evil is Better

Tremors

I love this movie. I have ever since i was a kid. This is my kind of movie, cool monsters that look really good. Likable characters and good dialogue and i love that they get trapped. That doesn't happen enough in monsters movies. Plus i loved that there were rules. The monsters could only sense vibration so there were certain things that the protagonists could do to escape them. I also love the ending, very suspenseful and exciting. A great homage to 50's monster movies and a damn good one itself.

9/10

Old 09-21-2014, 12:57 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
I actually like the fake-out ending. Where you think everything is okay and everyone is safe and then BAM!!! Never gets old for me. Yeah i don't blame you about the sequels, like i said i just watched those for the wife. Not a huge fan of them. Hope to hear from you about the new movies.
I guess it depends on the movie and the fake-out ending; With Poltergeist, it absolutely worked. OMG the pool scene...

Old 09-21-2014, 01:03 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
I guess it depends on the movie and the fake-out ending; With Poltergeist, it absolutely worked. OMG the pool scene...
For me the scariest scene was the part where the dad rips off his face.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:10 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
For me the scariest scene was the part where the dad rips off his face.
Yeah - Absolutely stayed with me and STILL creeped me out even now... It wasn't the dad, though, it was one of the camera guys... But still.

I've had nightmares like that!

Old 09-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Yeah - Absolutely stayed with me and STILL creeped me out even now... It wasn't the dad, though, it was one of the camera guys... But still.

I've had nightmares like that!
Anything happening to the skin always creeps me out.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Sometimes dead is better

Well, I managed to watch the film the Beast From 20,000 Fathoms today. At first, I was not sure as it seemed to have a slow start, but once it got going I really enjoyed it. It is definitely a classic 1950s monster movie. Interestingly, the film was released the year before the original Godzilla. While Godzilla certainly surpassed Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, there is little doubt that Beast From 20,000 Fathoms was a high quality film. One can easily see that this film helped to establish the standard for these types of films that would be used for decades to come. Despite this, the story was really solid and it definitely drew me in. The special effects were not the best, but they were certainly pretty good for a film in the early 50s. In addition, I felt there was some solid character development. I particularly liked the female lab assistant and the main character, the professor. I would have liked to have seen more destruction particularly in New York, but considering how early this film was, I am not surprised. Overall, an excellent film, I throughly enjoyed it.