Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies

Old 05-07-2018, 08:14 PM
ventricle

High Noon (1952)
8/10

Quote:
A town Marshal (Gary Cooper), despite the disagreements of his newlywed bride (Grace Kelly) and the townspeople around him, must face a gang of deadly killers alone at high noon when the gang leader, an outlaw he sent up years ago, arrives on the noon train.
Fairly suspenseful Western with a good pace. It doesn't really need to be any more complicated, but it's a simple film, demonstrating how people are. Long noted as being an allegory to how Americans turned their backs on those being blacklisted during McCarthy Red Scare.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:49 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
High Noon (1952)
8/10

Fairly suspenseful Western with a good pace. It doesn't really need to be any more complicated, but it's a simple film, demonstrating how people are. Long noted as being an allegory to how Americans turned their backs on those being blacklisted during McCarthy Red Scare.
Cooper is quite good here (Second Oscar win) and enjoyed the brief but effective supporting turns by Otto Kruger and Lon Chaney Jr.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:47 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
Cooper is quite good here (Second Oscar win) and enjoyed the brief but effective supporting turns by Otto Kruger and Lon Chaney Jr.
I think this was Lon's best acting performance by leaps and blasts.

It's funny, it took me awhile to realise who the stunning blond was.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:34 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I think this was Lon's best acting performance by leaps and blasts.

It's funny, it took me awhile to realise who the stunning blond was.
True, Grace Kelly was dressed plainly (probably because her character is a Quaker) when she was usually Razzle Dazzle.

RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE (1944). Love Bela Lugosi and he's pretty good as the title creature, but story is pretty bland when he is offscreen (Sound familiar?) and the Werewolf flunky has got to go! **1/2
Old Today, 04:25 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
True, Grace Kelly was dressed plainly (probably because her character is a Quaker) when she was usually Razzle Dazzle.

RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE (1944). Love Bela Lugosi and he's pretty good as the title creature, but story is pretty bland when he is offscreen (Sound familiar?) and the Werewolf flunky has got to go! **1/2
I didn't even know this existed. Looks like a good rainy day movie.