Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Compilations and Pastimes

Old 09-17-2008, 09:49 AM
For Vendetta

VINCENT PRICE

"“Darkness falls across the land, the Midnight Hour is close at hand;
Creatures crawl in search of blood, to terrorize y’alls neighborhood...

Immortalized forever in Michael Jackson’s perennial Halloween classic “Thriller”, Vincent Price enjoyed one of the longest, most varied and most illustrious acting careers in horror history.

Price’s early film career is an interesting one – his first starring role in a horror film wasn’t until 1953’s House of Wax, but he was active in films long before that. One of his earliest notable roles was in Tower of London, a rather loose adaptation of Shakespeare’s Richard III, where he played the Duke of Clarence opposite genre masters Basil Rathbone and Boris Karloff. (Many years later, Price would appear in another film version of the story, this time playing the villainous Richard himself). Despite his small role here, he appeared in the titular role the next year in Universal’s The Invisible Man Returns, a role which showcased Price’s superb voice – the one feature which he is arguably most remembered for.

Early in his career, Price also starred in many non-horror roles, including The Song of Bernadette, which was nominated for an incredible 12 Oscars in 1944 – sadly, Price was overlooked, though his performance in the film is doubtlessly one of the greatest in his career.

By the 1960’s, Price was working almost exclusively in horror. He famously teamed up with Roger Corman for a series of films based on the work of Edgar Allan Poe – a string of films that are among the greatest in either man’s resumes.

Vincent Price is remembered by most as a schlocky, over-the-top actor that starred mostly in B-grade horror flicks. While that is true of most of his films and performances, it’s most certainly not because he was untalented, or because he was a one trick pony. No, he was an actor that always looked to have fun with his roles, and put that above everything else. His love for acting shows through in every single one of his roles – be it as a hambone actor killing off his critics, a bedridden old west prospector, a kindly old inventor, a millionaire playboy planning a rather sadistic party, or a nobleman descending into madness, Price was always having the time of his life in front of the camera.

Not only was he a master of his craft, he is a huge inspiration to young actors such as myself: he proves that whether the role is dark, brooding and serious, or campy, cheesy and over-the-top, the key to a great performance is to always have fun, above all else. This is one of the most important lessons that I’ve learned, and I give full credit to my hero and my idol :- Mr. Vincent Leonard Price, Jr." - The Return

WES CRAVEN

WILLIAM CASTLE

WILLIAM GAINES

WILLIAM PETER BLATTY

Last edited by _____V_____; 09-29-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:49 AM
For Vendetta

Honorable Mentions

• Anne Rice
  • Anthony Hopkins
  • Bernard Herrmann
  • Edward Munch
  • Freddie Francis
  • Himan Brown
  • Joan Crawford
  • José Mojica Marins
  • Paul Naschy
  • Sigourney Weaver

A very respected and honorable Shout-out to each of the above.

Last edited by _____V_____; 10-01-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
First comment...

WOO! Great list. The judges did well with that! And well done everyone who chose them. So many I forgot but am glad you didn't. Thanks V for another great thread!

The Ferrets like it...
Old 09-17-2008, 11:33 AM
HDC Resident Cynic

Great Job by everyone involved.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:59 PM
No, fuck YOU

Kafka????

What horror has he ever done?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Political paranoia, body horror, a very squirmy prison. He changed horror forever. Kafka was a master of the genre.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:20 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Faustus View Post
Political paranoia, body horror, a very squirmy prison. He changed horror forever. Kafka was a master of the genre.
In what book?
Old 09-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
In what book?
For one thing, horror's 100 Greatest Books edited by Stephen King and Kim Newman includes the Trial. The politics and the persecution complex show an influence on films like M. The transformation and dehumanization of Gregor Samsa in the Metamorphosis heralds a lot of similar situations in the future. Need I point out how fond Cronenberg is of insectoid imagery for example? In Joe Hill King's 20th Century Ghosts are several stories pointing out the genre's debt to Kafka, including a blatant riff on the Metamorphosis. Inside the Penal Colony contains a lot of horror. Lastly, he made fiction weirder, more expressionistic and more tense, creating an atmosphere for movies like Eraserhead. Oh, and the HWA lists Kafka's work among their favorite books here:
http://www.hcpl.lib.tx.us/booklists/hwabest.htm
Old 09-18-2008, 01:07 AM
Pirate of Bengal

Thumbs up

Excellent!

Congrats & thanks to the Judges:) . Hats off to you.

Now, waiting for the Honorable mentions.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Day of the Dead

Pretty awesome dedication to the makers of the genre. Great work all!

Excellent job, V! Kudos, mates!