Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

Old 10-15-2014, 01:28 AM
Little Boo

Lightbulb How do you think women are usually portrayed in horror films?

I'm doing an A Level project to do with feminism in film and I would like to know what you guys think about female stereotypes in the horror genre?

Old 10-15-2014, 04:33 AM
Evil Dead

Well, I think that it differs from film to film.

Examples:

Scream - dumb girls doing stupid things

Resident Evil - Alice is the heroine

Underworld - Selene knows how to kick some serious ass!!

Orphan - psycho girl

I guess most teenage and campy horror films are going to portray most of the females as lacking brains or any type of courage. Higher grade horror films tend to portray females as heroines, psychos, the last one standing, or as someone who at least appears to have sense.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:46 AM
Midnight toker

Horror movies don't fair too badly when compared to other genres. While there is a fair slice of misogyny thrown into plenty of horror movies there have also been some great representations of women and great female role models/ heroines too. It kinda depends how you want to approach the subject, there are plenty of positives and negatives. Even in the movies with perceived 'strong' female leads, its really easy to look a little deeper and question whether those characters are as strong or deep as they appear.

Personally, I think one of the biggest problems is that there just aren't enough writers who understand well enough how to write for women and make the characters three dimensional, which is why there is an imbalance in cinema. That's why you sometimes end up with these bizarre movies that try to have strong female leads but often end up in this weird place where the characters are still defined by the men in their lives, even if the woman is 'on top'. That applies to all genres, and isn't specific to horror.

That said, if you apply The Bechdel test to recent horror movies there are a few great examples to be found, such as The Descent and Innkeepers. I don't put a lot of stock in the test myself, even though it seems the 'go-to' benchmark. Its much more relevant to me if the characters are multi-layered and have legitimate depth than fulfilling a set of very basic criteria. If you look at a movie like, say, Alien, that barely passes the test, but probably has one of the strongest, most positive female role models in cinema. The same can be said for Halloween.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Evil Dead

Wow, that's a great post. Straker, have you done research on this subject?

Old 10-16-2014, 09:13 AM
Midnight toker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giganticface View Post
Wow, that's a great post. Straker, have you done research on this subject?
No, not really.... I did pick up a bunch of sociology modules at university though, but that's mostly because I thought the classes would be easy and full of women.

To be fair, its actually a really interesting subject and something everyone should have an interest in, at least on some level. I think most everyone would say they aren't sexist, but we still live in a world where there is a gender imbalance and its important to discuss it and be aware of it.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:22 PM
Synthetic Flesh

I think women are generally portrayed pretty poorly in horror films. But I don't think horror movies are alone in this, and I don't think they are the worst either.

Unfortunately, there is still a strong undercurrent of misogyny in most of society, no matter how civilised and progressive we claim to be. Horror movies (like many other genres) reflect this.

Slasher films are a good example. Girls who have sex get murdered. Girls who maintain their virtue survive. It's like a modern day fairy tale, where girls that stray from the "right path" are brutally murdered. Those with the "strength" to resist are victorious in the end. Sure, guys are murdered to, but it's not because they lost their virtue.

Dracula is another case in point. Sure, it was written over 100 years ago, but the basics of the story remain popular with modern filmgoers. Is it a tale of xenophobia? It may be seen that way - a foreigner comes to the "civilised world" and infects local girls, thereby spawning a race of evil. Women are the victims, but they must invite Dracula into their room at night before he is able to spread his seed. So women are again seen as weak, but also as the potential point of downfall of the human race. A bit like Adam and Eve. If not for virtuous and true males, they are seen as somewhat willing prey for the vampire.

Women are often portrayed as physically weak, weak in morals, and dependent on men. It is only those women who are morally strong that stand a chance. But this imparts the message that women who aren't Madonnas are only worthy of rape/torture/murder. A very disturbing message in my mind.

Sure, I'm not talking about every horror movie out there. But it seems to be a general undercurrent in the genre.

Likewise, men are often portrayed as being a slave to primitive urges. However this is often portrayed as tragic, or beyond their control. Werewolf movies are an example of this. The (usually) male protagonist is attacked by a werewolf (usually a foreigner) and is then a slave to his baser instincts. He tries to resist, but it's seen as tragically beyond his control. There is usually considerable sadness and tragedy around his death. This is quite different to the woman in horror who gives in to her baser instincts. She is murdered mercilessly, without it being seen as a tragedy (she deserved it, right?). Likewise, in many movies that depict male murderers, there is usually some tragic past event revealed to explain (but not excuse) their behaviour. As opposed to the woman that loses her virtue. She is not explained, only relegated to the death count.

Not that other genres are much better. Comedies often make fun of the "undesirable" or immoral female character, however applaud male characters who are behaving in basically the same way (or worse). Girls who are not virtuous are often seen as sex objects, and no-one really cares much if they are lied to/taken advantage of/abused in some way. The world is a fucked up place.

I could go on. But I think film reflects the undercurrents of society's psyche. So I don't think we can really blame horror films or any genre for that matter. Society is fucked up, and film reflects that. Unfortunately, society likes seeing this sort of shit, so this message will keep getting reinforced.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:08 AM
Horror Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManchestrMorgue View Post
Women are often portrayed as physically weak, weak in morals, and dependent on men. It is only those women who are morally strong that stand a chance. But this imparts the message that women who aren't Madonnas are only worthy of rape/torture/murder. A very disturbing message in my mind.
I think it's a great message, though I think you are mislabeling a number of complex characters. Would you have them emulate the Kardashians. Young girls, like young boys, need role models. Horror can help here.

Food for thought: why are the ruthless and crazy killers in horror films usually cast as men. What does this say about misandry and society's perceptions of men? Let's write a paper on that.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:24 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
I think it's a great message, though I think you are mislabeling a number of complex characters. Would you have them emulate the Kardashians. Young girls, like young boys, need role models. Horror can help here.

Food for thought: why are the ruthless and crazy killers in horror films usually cast as men. What does this say about misandry and society's perceptions of men? Let's write a paper on that.
WHAT?!?!!?! People discriminate MEN???
Old 10-21-2014, 07:23 AM
Midnight toker

Quote:

Its definitely fair to say the idea of a sleazy man trying to impale a virgin with a variety of phallic objects is fairly common in horror.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:12 PM
Synthetic Flesh

Quote:

I'm not sure why this is a great message. Are you saying that young women should be taught that if they aren't chaste they deserve to die?

And yeah, the killers usually are cast as men. There would be little value in casting a woman in the role in most instances. Because in our society, it's only women that have to be chaste. Men apparently have different rules. Is this still a good message to impart on young girls?

Tags
female horror, feminism, stereotypes, virgin, women