Old 01-02-2020, 03:46 AM
Evil Dead

Cool

One of the Starz Encore channels showed "Cujo" again last night, and I ended up looking back at that one again. That is another solid favorite for sure. The dog actor sure did a great job at playing that role, along with how all of the attack scenes looked real when they had to use a real dog to do the real stunts, including ramming his head into the car because they had no CGI or anything like that back then, just real props, real make up, real stunts, real staged combat, real scenery, etc. That's not to mention the realistic outlook on how UNRELIABLE those Pinto cars were back when they were still around... Another great timeless classic that never old...
Old 01-03-2020, 12:50 AM
Evil Dead

I NEVER SANG FOR MY FATHER (1970). Might have changed the title, but very well made film dealing with a Son who loves his Father, but doesn't like his Dad. Gene Hackman very good as the Son who wants to move on with his life, but unsure how to break the strings, while Melvyn Douglas (who always played jaunty types in his early career and went on to win an Oscar for HUD) compelling as the bitter, abrasive Senior. Final scene between them is excellent. Look for a young James Karen (POLTERGEIST, RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD) here. ****
Old 01-06-2020, 05:44 PM
This is a test

LAND OF THE MINOTAUR 1976

I thought i might be in for a treat as it stars Peter Cushing and Donald Pleasence but it was quite a dull story about missing tourists being sacrificed by a cult of minotaur worshippers.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:13 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
LAND OF THE MINOTAUR 1976

I thought i might be in for a treat as it stars Peter Cushing and Donald Pleasence but it was quite a dull story about missing tourists being sacrificed by a cult of minotaur worshippers.
I actually saw that, or some of that, one evening on TV, and I remember that was not good.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:37 PM
This is a test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I actually saw that, or some of that, one evening on TV, and I remember that was not good.
And Donald's character kept calling the "minotaur" the "mynah- tire". I couldnt figure out what he was talking about.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:18 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloof View Post
And Donald's character kept calling the "minotaur" the "mynah- tire". I couldnt figure out what he was talking about.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:05 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
You aren't just a woofin'! Not good at all and waste of two of my favorite actors.

SAVAGE STREETS (1984). In a FANGORIA interview around the release of REPOSSESSED , Linda Blair mentioned how She felt CHAINED HEAT (1982) was the worst film she had been in, but didn't;t mention this. HEAT is pretty bad on it's own terms, but awesome cast and truly a guilty pleasure.
Not as guilty as this one is Linda and her clique of girlfriends play a prank on an extremely butch/fey Guy gang leading to serious ramifications, meaning Linda will suit up in leather and lipstick, get some heavy weaponry and open a giant can of whoop ass.
Pretty bad all around, but so bad, it's enjoyable, but some tasteless moments. Especially the pivotal scene involving Linnea Quigley ...her acting has been criticized through the years, but she is quite good here, although said scene is pretty offensive.
Just about every exploitive theme in films is hauled out here and thus,You just have to check it out. ***
Old 01-12-2020, 02:26 AM
Evil Dead

DIRTY HARRY (1971). The best Clint Eastwood has ever been, as the gritty Homicide Detective, who won't hesitate to bend or break the rules if necessary. The film was dubbed "Facist" by Pauline Kael of THE NEW YORK TIMES,more than likely for Harry's determined search for Scorpio , which culminates in Kezar Stadium-a thrilling moment.
Deservedly, Eastwood became a big Star after this and appeared in several sequels, becoming a part of Americana. Kudos must also be given to Andrew Robinson (later in HELLRAISER) playing an absolutely despicable villain and in his film debut also. Have heard that for many years after this, He received threats from people who couldn't separate actor from character. ****1/2
Old 01-12-2020, 07:25 AM
Evil Dead

Thumbs up

I finally got my DVD copy of "Four Flies On Gray Velvet," a rare and early film from Dario Argento, about a drummer with a stalker whom he confronts and believes to have accidentally killed, only to have have another stalker taking pictures of this incident, wanting to blackmail him and his girlfriend with the evidence, only it is not the money the stalker wants. The stalker refuses to state what they actually want. This one takes a lot of twists and turns, making it look as if the stalker is one person, then reveals it is actually somebody else, multiple times throughout the film. There are even twists and turns showing what originally appeared to be is not how it actually is multiple times as well. It is also well shot, well directed, and well edited to look good, interesting, and intense throughout the whole film in the classic old school done right artsy and gory format. The characters are also well developed with the actors all doing very good jobs at portraying their roles. There is also a shocker at the end, showing the actual killer and stalker to be somebody entirely different from who most of its audience thought it was, no spoilers being revealed here. Even the kill scenes in this film are very clever, well thought out, and well performed, not to mention well directed, well shot, and well edited. Those into Dario Argento's cult classic from the 1970s and 1980s should not be disappointed in this film.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:30 PM
Evil Dead

AIRPORT 1975 (1974). Loved this when I was 13, but time has really not been kind to it. Reasonably decent plot dragged out with irritating characters and quite sexist behavior by many of the male players, particularly Charlton Heston's endless and condescending use of "Honey" to Karen Black.
The good points...the Mountain scenery is stunning and as per the course for these kind of films, a LOT of actors I like including Norman Fell (THREE'S COMPANY, BULLIT, THE KILLERS), Linda Harrison (PLANET OF THE APES< BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES, COCOON) as Gloria Swanson's asst, Beverly Garland (IT CONQUERED THE WORLD, PRETTY POISON, THE ALLIGATOR PEOPLE, MY THREE SONS), Dana Andrews (NIGHT OF THE DEMON, LAURA, CRACK IN THE WORLD, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES), Austin Stocker (BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES, THE TWISTED BRAIN, ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13), Myrna Loy (THE MASK OF FU MANCHU, THE THIN MAN0 and of course, Karen Black (TRILOGY OF TERROR, FIVE EASY PIECES) who steals the film with her hysteria...also love how she sticks out her tongue while trying to pull the first rescuer into the plane.
A big selling point for this was Linda Blair, right after THE EXORCIST..cute as can be, but truly the most overly cheerful Kidney transplant patient ever. And You'll be slack jawed with Helen Reddy's turn as a Singing Nun.
So really not a good film at all...truly a low point for many of the actors here, but so campy that it's least one look, for all the names, at least. **