Old 12-24-2018, 10:13 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
ATTACK OF THE PHANTOMS (1979). By 1978, KISS was IT for Me. Loved Alice Cooper Group, Led Zeppelin, Ted Nugent, The Runaways, Aerosmith, etc, but NO ONE got my blood pumping like they did. Had four full scrapbooks, posters all over the bedroom, every album, the Bubble Gum cards and God only knows what else.If anything, this mania made me more industrious, working whatever odd job I could supplement my allowance with to afford this stuff.
VERY disappointed by the movie when we saw in in Oct 1978...even at 16, felt it was awfully juvenile and stupid. Even more annoyed was one of the Movie Tie In magazines listed the songs that would be performed and really, only "I Stole Your Love" sounds live and pretty good too.
AOTP is inside KISSOLOGY #2 and while it has some music from the Solo albums instead of the canned TV music, still awful script, acting and it's embarrassing to be able to see stunt doubles for Ace and Peter, even with the makeup on. certain charm and definitely of the period, but just a Stinkbomb overall. For a more entertaining view, watch THE TOMORROW SHOW 10/31/79 where an inebriated Ace steals the proceedings, much to Gene's very obvious displeasure. *
I watched Attack of the Phantoms on TV during their craze. I was young enough to sort of appreciate the superhero powers of the Kiss members. I'd take a guess only kids would have appreciated it a little bit. There was a lot of silly television on at the time. Watch an ep of Six Million Dollar Man or Wonder Woman, it's hard to believe adults watched some of this stuff. Not that there weren't some good Bionic Man eps, but I watched a little as an adult, and it's surprising.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:10 AM
Evil Dead

DELIVERANCE (1972)>>>>>>>>>>SPOLIERS>>>>>>>>>>>

Four friends (one is a Macho survivalist, the other three much less so) take a Canoe trip down a wild river that will dammed soon. Their weekend jaunt quickly becomes a nightmare as they have to battle unforgiving Mother Nature and a couple of Mountain Men looking for Love in all the wrong places, literally and figuratively.
Despite a lot of copying by many films, this has held up remarkably well, with great performances by Burt Reynolds (never better), Ronny Cox and Ned Beatty in one of his first films and what must have been a difficult shoot to say the least (the jury's still out on Jon Voight). And much Kudos to Bill McKinney and Herbert "Cowboy" Cowards for being two of the most frightening screen villains EVER.
Back in the early 2000's when there was remake after remake coming out, was sure this would have one of them. If it had been done, think Ryan Reynolds (Lewis), Jeremy Renner (Ed),the late Phillip Seymour Hoffman ( Bobby-he definitely would have had the balls to play this to the hilt) and Mark Wahlberg as Drew. For the villains, Sam Rockwell (especially after THE GREEN MILE) and maybe Steve Buscemi, kind of stuck for the "Toothless" man. ****1/2
Old 12-25-2018, 11:33 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
DELIVERANCE (1972)>>>>>>>>>>SPOLIERS>>>>>>>>>>>

Four friends (one is a Macho survivalist, the other three much less so) take a Canoe trip down a wild river that will dammed soon. Their weekend jaunt quickly becomes a nightmare as they have to battle unforgiving Mother Nature and a couple of Mountain Men looking for Love in all the wrong places, literally and figuratively.
Despite a lot of copying by many films, this has held up remarkably well, with great performances by Burt Reynolds (never better), Ronny Cox and Ned Beatty in one of his first films and what must have been a difficult shoot to say the least (the jury's still out on Jon Voight). And much Kudos to Bill McKinney and Herbert "Cowboy" Cowards for being two of the most frightening screen villains EVER.
Back in the early 2000's when there was remake after remake coming out, was sure this would have one of them. If it had been done, think Ryan Reynolds (Lewis), Jeremy Renner (Ed),the late Phillip Seymour Hoffman ( Bobby-he definitely would have had the balls to play this to the hilt) and Mark Wahlberg as Drew. For the villains, Sam Rockwell (especially after THE GREEN MILE) and maybe Steve Buscemi, kind of stuck for the "Toothless" man. ****1/2
LOL Good casting choices, Frye!

The film has it's own odd deliberate pace, as lots of 70's films do, you don't know what's coming when or how. It's fairly adventurous and exciting.

Last edited by Sculpt; 12-25-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:01 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
LOL Good casting choices, Frye!

The film has it's own odd deliberate pace, as lots of 70's films do, you don't know what's coming when or how. It's fairly adventurous and exciting.
Thank You, Sculpt

INVASION OF THE BEE GIRLS (1973). Quite silly exploitation fare with William Smith (who was in a lot of these type films) plays a Detective investigating a company involved in some mysterious goings on, aided by Victoria Vetri (ROSEMARY'S BABY, WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH and 1968 PLAYBOY Playmate of the Year).
Seems many of the deaths in the town, all of prominent members, died of..shallWe say, Sexual exhaustion
Lots of nudity and I guess if SE was the way You had to go, there are worse ways to depart the Earth. As said, pretty cheesy, but it's fun and definitely different from a lot of films of the period. ***
Old 12-30-2018, 06:30 PM
病気の

Desperate Teen Love Dolls, 1984. 7/10

Old 12-31-2018, 02:55 AM
病気の

Horror Hospital, 1973. 7/10

Old 01-01-2019, 12:35 AM
Evil Dead

ZOMBIE (1979). There are some slow passages, but on the whole, the film has held up quite well over the years with really good camera work, an increasing sense of dread and some truly outlandish gross-outs. ***1/2
Old 01-01-2019, 03:41 AM
病気の

The Godfather, 1972

Old 01-04-2019, 12:54 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadbeatAtDawn View Post
The Godfather, 1972

What an excellent film that is! Truly an all time classic

STRAW DOGS (1971). >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

For most of its running time, SD appears to be a character study. One thing fo sure, these are not characters I would want to be around. Dustin Hoffman plays an incredibly smug milquetoast who has left America to live in his new wife's English village. Said wife (played by Susan George who is very good here) is quite the flirtatious type with many of old boyfriends/admirers who remember here and within ten minutes You can see how incredibly mismatched these two are. It doesn't help that the majority of the villagers are thuggish drunken louts.
You will need some patience, but stick with it and the last third of the film really pays off and I think is quite frightening-even the first time I saw it on regular late night TV with expected cuts. This drew lots of criticism on its release for the violence, which is quite extreme, even for Sam Peckinpah whose films were usually full of it. It may not be your cup of tea, but film is worth seeing. ****
Old 01-06-2019, 05:41 AM
病気の

Nekromantik, 1987. 10/10
Director, Jörg Buttgereit