Old 02-18-2005, 08:00 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to Gojira
As I recal Mighty Peking Man a.k.a. APE here in the USA was made in Korea in 1976. Other Korean Giant monster movies include Pulgasari 1985 filmed in North Korea and Wangmagwi a Kong like monster with a horn on its head made in 1967 the same year another famous Korean monster movie was made Yongary Monster from the deep. In 1999 an adaptation of Yongary was made titled Yonggary 2001 a.k.a. Yonggary vs. Cyker.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Backyard Waterfall

Those two are different films, although I have only seen "Mighty Peking Man" (it's terrible, and a lot of fun).

"A*P*E" (as its title was featured on some posters) was made in 1976 in 3-D, and was filmed in Korea. It features an ape-versus-shark fight scene, and a painting of this scene actually graced the cover of Famous Monsters magazine long long ago (see image!).

In a later issue in the "Letters" column, an angry reader criticized FM for using the "rediculouse" painting featuring "a shark with an ape riding on the back of it."

"Mighty Peking Man" was made in Hong Kong in 1977...

Last edited by filmmaker2; 02-20-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Evil Dead

Lets not forget Toho studios 1955 classic Half Human the story of the Abominable Snowman. This movie seemed to have a KingKong feel to it. Of course if there were any type of giant hairy monsters that were probley more impressive than Kingkong it would have to be imo the movie Sanda Tai Gaira a.k.a. War of the Gargantuas 1966. This movie is also the sequel to Frankenstein vs. Baragon 1965 a.k.a. Frankenstien Conquers The World.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:55 PM
Backyard Waterfall

I've never seen "Half Human." I would love to, though. I hear it's pretty neat.

I liked both "Frankenstein Conquers the World" and "War of the Gargantuas." Great stuff when I was a tyke.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Evil Dead

I think I was 9 years old when I first saw War of the Gargantuas at the drive in back in 1970. I saw it again at a theatre double billing with MonsterZero. I think Ishiro Honda directed Half Human in 1955. I think when Ishiro Honda was asked if he would direct Godzilla Raids Again in 1955 he said no because he already said yes to directing Half Human. Honda did give Motoyoshi Oda the director who directed Godzilla Raids Again some advice. I think any horror movie fan today who grew up watching horror movies at the drive in when they were young were very lucky in seen some of the best horror movies fans regaurd as being true classic today. I feel kind of sad for those who can only watch those classics on dvd or vhs an not know the feeling of going to a drive in to watch a movie. Ahh the good ole days
Old 02-20-2005, 11:43 PM
Backyard Waterfall

I totally miss going to drive-in theatres! There are still a few of them around here and there, but it's not like it used to be. There was a special feeling to the drive-ins.

For those who can't get to a drive-in, the Something Weird DVDs often have drive-in shorts and trailers, popcorn and candy ads, and so on, which evoke the experience. Those things are great to watch nowadays.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:36 PM
grapedonaldson

Possible sites for King Kong from Edo

Have you tried the Video Station in Boulder, Colorado? Its one of the largest Video Outlets in the world.... they're up to 53,000 titles(?). They've got a pretty good horror collection...
Old 02-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Evil Dead

Thanks for the info I just bookmarked Video Stations site movies Unlimited has a few good movies as well.