Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies

Old 01-04-2008, 05:23 PM
HDC Idol

Recommend Me Some Asian Horror Movies, Please

So once a month a few of my girlfriends and I hold a Ladies Horror Movie Night, involving solely Asian Horror movies.

Because I'm the only one with a Netflix account, I am responsible for bringing the movies, and need a little help.

Here are some of the movies that either I or the group have seen and what we think of them:

• Audition - My friend Amy introduced me to this film. Very slow starting, but then delightfully macabre and then horrific. I give it an A-/A.
  • The Grudge - I know that some of you are going to criticize me for this, but I actually like the remake better than the original. I feel as though the original was long, drawn out, and had a lot of it that was superfluous. I feel as though the remake gave Takashi Shimizu the chance to cut the fat with the remake, to tell you the truth. I give the original a B, with extra points for being so influential in this genre of film.
  • Reincarnation - SPEAKING of Takashi Shimizu, here's another one of his that I really enjoyed. I thought that the direction was fantastic and I honestly did not predict the twist at the end (and I really LIKED the twist at the end)... Not to mention, he had a knack for choosing incredibly talented foley artists. A-
  • Cinderella - A bit slow-going with nothing really new. The reveal is pretty horrific, but it takes a LONG time to get there... I'd say B, depending on my mood (some of the images are REALLY horrific, and seriously, the reveal is fantastic).
  • Arang - I thought that the direction was actually really good, and it was impressive to see a very strong female lead (usually in Asian horror, females are either Evil or Helpless, so it was great to see a strong one). I give the movie a B-/B.
  • A Tale of Two Sisters - Honestly, I had REALLY high hopes for this movie. I thought that the direction was incredible, but one of the reveals was predictable while the second one... Didn't make sense (and felt as if it were just thrown in to add a twist). All in all, though, I would probably see this movie again, as I did enjoy the visuals, overall. B+/A-
  • Tetsuo - Quintessential Asian Horror. Honestly, I was impressed that such a sexually explicit and imagistic film was not only produced but released in Japan in the late 80s. I give it an A-/A for pure balls (but I can't say that I necessarily LOVED it... it reminded me of Eraserhead).
  • Three... Extremes - Oh, how I adore this triad of horror films... While Dumplings is a little slow and disappointing, I definitely enjoyed the latter two, both for different reasons. That reminds me - I really need to see it again. I give it an A/A+
  • Battle Royale - I'm not sure if I'd necessarily classify this as purely horror, per say, though it definitely has some macabre elements. I loved it. A.
  • The Host - SO refreshing to see a modern monster movie. Also a good combination of horror and comedy. A/A+. I need to own this film.

I hope that this is enough to go by to judge my horror movie taste. I would really LOVE if you guys could recommend some more (next horror movie night: January 19th!). If you don't mind providing a small movie synopsis and why you enjoyed the film, I might just keep you for my own unholy growing army of the night.

Thanks so much.

Join my Facebook Horror Group!

Last edited by ChronoGrl; 01-05-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Banned

"The Eye" is a good one..catch it before the remake comes out.

You should get some good feedback on this thread....Angra will have some suggestions fer sure.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:22 PM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
"The Eye" is a good one..catch it before the remake comes out.
Damnit, I do really want to see that movie (the original - I haven't been sold on the remake yet). But through some bizarre and cruel twist of fate, it is NOT available on Netflix (which is confusing because The Eye seems fairly canonical from what I hear)... I might just have to break down and rent it from Blockbuster. :(

Old 01-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
Damnit, I do really want to see that movie (the original - I haven't been sold on the remake yet). But through some bizarre and cruel twist of fate, it is NOT available on Netflix (which is confusing because The Eye seems fairly canonical from what I hear)... I might just have to break down and rent it from Blockbuster. :(
Watch it in surround sound if you can.....this is one movie where the audio really has an effect on the scare factor.......one scene in particular comes to mind....sends a shiver down my spine every time I see it.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:35 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Kwaidan
Wild Zero
Versus
Save the Green Planet (not horror, but AWESOMELY WEIRD!!!!)
Riki Oh - The Story of Ricky (not horror, but pure grindhouse!)
R-Point

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 01-05-2008, 01:17 AM
Evil Dead

I certainly echo some of the above recommendations by Newb and Rod here are some that have not been mentioned that I like ...

Korean-

The Vengeance Trilogy (All great films although personally I think Oldboy is the best)
Black House
H
Memories of Murder
Tell Me Something

Japanese-

Ju-On The Grudge 2 (Less slow moving than the first;) )
Death Note/Death Note 2
One Missed Call
Suicide Club
Lady Snowblood
Ichi the Killer

Chinese

The Eye 2(Seems to be a love it or hate it film,I love it:) )
Re-Cycle(Another Pang Bros movie and their best imo,a must see)

Thai

Shutter(If you like movies that make you jump then you will love this )

That's the best I can think of but I've probably missed a few great ones that I will think of later ...:)
Old 01-05-2008, 05:08 AM
HDC Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post
Kwaidan
Wild Zero
Versus
Save the Green Planet (not horror, but AWESOMELY WEIRD!!!!)
Riki Oh - The Story of Ricky (not horror, but pure grindhouse!)
R-Point
Kwaidan - This. Looks. Awesome. I think that I might have to grab it for the next Movie Night.

For the remaining 5, I think that they're movies that I'll put on my personal Netflix queue, but I'm not sure if they're movies that the group would like (I think that they have certain expectations of what "horror" is and should be). I'm a movie snob. I know that I definitely am more open to different movies than most. Are your friends like that? Not necessarily people that you would show SOME movies to?

Save the Green Planet looks AMAZING. I'm excited about that one. And R-Point looks fairly intense.

Movies that I came across while looking these up (Has anyone seen them?):

They've caught my eye... Has anyone seen them? More importantly, would you show them to your friends?

DP - That list looks GREAT. I'm going to look up each of them, but, alas, I must work (yes, on a SATURDAY MORNING)... I will return. :)

Also, I forgot to mention, I LOVED The Host. I will add it to my list now.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Therapy?

The Eye is one of my favorite movies, loved the sequel too.
Infection is amazing
Red Eye is another one I enjoyed
Tomie: Rebirth
Kairo
Phone
One Missed Call
Premonition is worth a watch

and suicide club is worth watching, I didn't like it as much as some people but I still enjoyed it.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:00 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelakillsluts View Post
The Eye is one of my favorite movies, loved the sequel too.
Infection is amazing
Red Eye is another one I enjoyed
Tomie: Rebirth
Kairo
Phone
One Missed Call
Premonition is worth a watch

and suicide club is worth watching, I didn't like it as much as some people but I still enjoyed it.
I agree with you about Suicide Club many people hate it mainly because it doesn't always make a whole lot of sense.What saved it for me was some quite unique scenes and some hilarious dialogue!Oh and how the hell did I forget Kairo?:o
Old 01-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via ICQ to Smackytherabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP McCoy View Post
I agree with you about Suicide Club many people hate it mainly because it doesn't always make a whole lot of sense.What saved it for me was some quite unique scenes and some hilarious dialogue!Oh and how the hell did I forget Kairo?:o

HAH
Yeeeeaaaa boooooyyyyyy found my password