Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-08-2015, 02:39 PM
Hellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake.Ashworth View Post
I disagree, with most of that. First I don't look at Nightmare as a Slasher. To group him in with Jason isn't quite right. The nightmare movies where made to be more fun and less serious than your basic slasher. By far not my favorite, but most of the movies achieved their overall goal, which was to make horror more fun and interesting to a group of people who may not love the strong silent type as is the case with just about every other slasher. He was different in a genre that, at the time, was mostly just variations on the same character in different settings. Oh and Dream Warrior was by far the best, the first one was a bit to meh for me. The second was kind of a joke, but after that, there was some good times. I just finished my first round of all of them with my 8 year old. That's what Freddie is good for, me and my boy can watch them without me having to cover his eyes due to tons of boobies or it being way to over his head story wise. Its a simple horror movie with a great premise. Stop overthinking and enjoy the fun.
although the nightmare on elm st series did go down hill until new nightmare, its still considered a slasher movie because it has all the slasher element. lets break down a slasher: A killer who kills teens, The teens have Premarital sex, And the virgin was the one who survives.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:42 PM
Horror Fan

Freddy is great. There are bigger things to hate on in horror.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:50 AM
Evil Dead

yup there are. Maybe if he wasn't seen as an icon, it wouldn't irritate me as much. However, i still think my point is a valid one

Last edited by neilold; 09-09-2015 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:41 AM
Hellraiser

I'd say the series had two major turn-offs to me, which came at the same time: the slap-stick, and the "dream powers." The latter bothered me a lot more. It was like I was watching a very bloody Saturday Morning cartoon about superheroes, rather than a slasher film.

The dream powers just gave the victims way too much power to fight back directly, instead of getting clever.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:15 AM
Horror Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpenthrope View Post
I'd say the series had two major turn-offs to me, which came at the same time: the slap-stick, and the "dream powers." The latter bothered me a lot more. It was like I was watching a very bloody Saturday Morning cartoon about superheroes, rather than a slasher film.

The dream powers just gave the victims way too much power to fight back directly, instead of getting clever.
Do you oppose humor in your horror.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:27 AM
Evil Dead

What I liked about Freddy is that he never felt like a generic bogeyman. He had a personality throughout the entire series, while slashers like Jason or Michael Myers were just disposable serial killers without any personality.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:59 AM
Horror > Everything

The key to Freddy is his domain. All accolades and criticisms aside, something that can literally kill us in our dreams, while we're sleeping, curled snuggly in our beds is F'ng scary!!
Old 09-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Penthouse Pauper

This. ^

I love Freddy. Could have done without the tv series though.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Horror Fan

Question

Who thinks Freddy would have worked better stalking Laurie Strode and Vorhees/Myers in dreamland?

Old 09-09-2015, 12:08 PM
Penthouse Pauper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMyers View Post
Who thinks Freddy would have worked better stalking Laurie Strode and Vorhees/Myers in dreamland?

LOL. Comedy. I couldn't imagine Freddy in Haddonfield. Laurie could finish him off lickety split. Michael Myers is bad enough to deal with in real life, it would be even more scary to have him popping up in dreams too! Jason went off to space once too, I imagine he's good anywhere you wanna drop him off.