Old 09-12-2015, 12:45 AM
Evil Dead

mind or sight?

Someone recently commented about the death of gage in pet cemetary and argued that even though we don't see the after effects of the accident it is still effective (less is more, its left to the imagination). My discussion is this, which is more effective and longer lasting, full blown visceral death scene, or left to the imagination. Now, often when we talk about horror, we rercall our favourite scenes which are often the most visceral and impactive ( i loved the axe in the face, i love the chainsaw in the head etc) however is this because it simply forms an image, which is simpler to remeber and recall that the actual thought process of remembering and refeeling your actual mind processing of using your imagination at the time? Or is leaving it to your imagination more valid? For example many people shudder when remembering the ear cutting scene from reservoir dogs, while failing to acknowledge that you didnt actually see his ear being sliced off, and its simply their imagination picturing it.

So is one more valid than the other, or both equal?
views please