Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing

Old 10-08-2019, 01:13 AM
Deranged, Yet Friendly.

Who Are Your Favorite Horror/Dark/Strange Fiction Author?

The purpose of this thread is to simply share with one another some of our dark literary heroes, in celebration of their works and talents, and with the intent to educate.

Who are your favorite horror/dark/strange fiction authors? Which stories/novels of these authors do you most resonate with?

Some of my favorite authors include:

Harlan Ellison. Not only was he a genius writer, the man himself was greatly entertaining. I highly recommend the documentary, "Dreams With Sharp Teeth", for folks wanting to know more about him, or to check out some of his many interviews on YouTube.

Some of my favorite stories from Ellison include: "'Repent, Harlequin!' said the Ticktockman", "I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream" and "A Boy and His Dog".

Jack Ketchum. His novel, "The Girl Next Door", is perhaps the most disturbing book I've ever read. Yet one just can't help themselves from turning the pages. The book dares you to continue reading, and you just can't pass up that dare. His novel, "Red", is also heartfelt and fantastic.

Joe Lansdale. I've not read even close to all of his work, but the few that I have read, have had a tremendous impact upon me. "High Cotton: Selected Tales" and "Edge of Dark Water" are both amazing books.

Neil Gaiman. "Smoke and Mirrors" and "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" are two favorites of mine.

Stephen King. Like many of us, he got me when I was young. "Pet Sematary" influenced me greatly as a teenager, and I ended up reading it a few times. Some other favorites of mine include his short story collections, "Night Shift", "Four After Midnight", and "After Sunset". As for novels, "Salem's Lot", "The Shining", "Duma Key", and "11/22/63" are very memorable. Of course, he's so prolific, that this list could be extended a few pages...

HP Lovecraft. He had his limitations as a writer, but there's no doubting that he wrote stories which are timeless and eerie and cosmic. "The Rats in the Walls" is currently my favorite story of his.

Edgar Allan Poe. Simply, Poe is the man, and America is a better place just for him having been in it (Yes, I've just said that). Such stories as, "The Black Cat", "The Cask of Amontillado", "The Tell-Tale Heart", "The Case of the Rue Morgue" present dark visual worlds which the reader is likely not to forget.

Joe Hill. "Horns" and "NOS4A2" are spectacular, as is "Strange Weather: Four Short Novels". Joe is one hell of a great writer and I always pay attention when he has a new book out.

Ray Bradbury. The man wrote prose that was eloquent and poetic and nothing short of beautiful. "The Martian Chroncles" and "Something Wicked This Way Comes" are personal favorites of mine.

I'll stop there! But I could on, and on, and on.

Last edited by Creature; 10-08-2019 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:17 AM
Evil Dead

Ramsey Campbell's early stuff.

Anything by Thomas Ligotti.

Robert Aickman wrote some great stories.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:34 PM
Deranged, Yet Friendly.

Haven't read any these authors, so thanks a bunch for mentioning them!
I've heard great praise for Ramsey Campbell and have a book of his waiting for me at the library at the moment. Looking forward to that.

As for Thomas Ligotti and Robert Aickman, my quick read up on them intrigues me. Especially Ligotti. I love philosophical works, and his stated influences of Emil Cioran, Kafka, and Beckett only has my interest further peaked.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:09 PM
Wanna Join?

Edgar Allan Poe
H.P. Lovecraft
Robert Bloch
Richard Matheson
Stephen King
R. Chetwynd-Hayes

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 10-10-2019, 04:27 AM
Hellraiser

While many (Poe, Matheson, King, etc.) my all-time favorite is Robert Bloch.

Criminally underappreciated (probably unknown!) by the public at large. PSYCHO, of course, is his best known work and I defend it rabidly against those who must make the "book vs. film" comparison and put the film on top.

American Gothic, Night of the Ripper and Firebug top my list of Bloch novels, and then, of course, there are those short stories. Love them. Bloch's short stories are probably what most influenced me in trying my hand at writing fiction.

Jim
Old 10-10-2019, 09:33 PM
Wanna Join?

Have you had the chance to read this yet?
Image (290).jpg
Great stuff, and perfect for this time of year.

"Within the framework of most horror tales we find a moral code so strong it would make a Puritan smile." Stephen King, DANSE MACABRE
Old 07-05-2020, 06:55 AM
Scares Little Kids

My fave horror author is probably Adam Nevill, but I also enjoy some Stephen King and lots of other authors. For short stories I'd include Robert Shearman, Richard Mattheson, Roald Dahl and Orson Scott Card.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:23 AM
Little Boo

Shirley Jackson is one of my favorite authors, lately her style and stories have been, for me of course, more captivating than other horror/dark classic stories

besides the below mentioned authors (because who does not like Poe, really), I also kind of enjoyed reading Darcy Coates and Jennifer McMahonn