Old 05-12-2018, 03:04 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
A type of vampire actually... from a virus outbreak.
Ah, well the way they were dressed in rags and banging on the boarded-up windows trying to get in reminded me of Night of the Living Dead. Maybe this movie was one of the inspirations for George Romero's zombie classic? I read somewhere that Carnival of Souls was another one of his favorites and I suspect that he took inspiration from that movie too.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:13 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
Ah, well the way they were dressed in rags and banging on the boarded-up windows trying to get in reminded me of Night of the Living Dead. Maybe this movie was one of the inspirations for George Romero's zombie classic? I read somewhere that Carnival of Souls was another one of his favorites and I suspect that he took inspiration from that movie too.
Yes, I read Last Man on Earth, Omega Man, Night of the Living Dead and I Am Legend, are all taken from the short story I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:30 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Yes, I read Last Man on Earth, Omega Man, Night of the Living Dead and I Am Legend, are all taken from the short story I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.
SPOILERS

And have you ever noticed how Barbara is very similar to the character Mary Henry from Carnival of Souls? Both are quirky young women with blonde hair who are being attacked by the undead and they loose their sanity before the ghouls eventually get them in the end.

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 05-12-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:05 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
And have you ever noticed how Barbara is very similar to the character Mary Henry from Carnival of Souls? Both are quirky young women with blonde hair who are being attacked by the undead and
Yes I did. The first time I saw the cover art of Carnival of Souls I thought it WAS Barbara. The freaked-out head-spinning expression is pretty much identical.

P.S. But you should really not reveal the ending of Carnival for those who haven't seen it. Well, I guess that goes for NLD too, but who hasn't seen that?

Last edited by Sculpt; 05-12-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:40 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Yes I did. The first time I saw the cover art of Carnival of Souls I thought it WAS Barbara. The freaked-out head-spinning expression is pretty much identical.

P.S. But you should really not reveal the ending of Carnival for those who haven't seen it. Well, I guess that goes for NLD too, but who hasn't seen that?
Lol sorry I'm the world's worst about forgetting to put spoiler alerts.

But yeah speaking of Barbara and Mary Henry I loved how they both had such eccentric characteristics. Like how Mary Henry was an introvert who worked as a church organ player despite the fact that she was implied to be an atheist (something that was probably very unusual in the 1960's), and how Barbara was a grown woman still living at home with her elderly mother and brother Johnny and how she relied on her brother to drive her back and forth to the cemetery to pay her respects to her deceased father even though she obviously had a phobia of the cemetery which her brother teased her about.

I just think it made them both really interesting as characters. There was more to them than just being the scared chick in a horror movie.

Edit: Also the strangeness of Barbara's character was shined upon even more in the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead. Her mother was implied to be somewhat abusive and controlling by her brother Johnny and it was even implied that the reason she was unmarried and still being dependant on her brother was due to her mother, yet Barbara seemed to be in denial about this and was angry at her brother for complaining about it.

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 05-14-2018 at 07:19 PM.