Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to missmacabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Cool. Loved that flick. Enlighten me on the Canadian themes!
First thing I picked up on was the weather in central Ontario, and mention of Seasonal Affective Disorder. I think that was a nice way to set up the depression, paranoia and being stuck inside. Even without "conversationalists" running around, the movie could have played out similarly.

Sense of place, and small town boredom is huge. Maybe I found that more effective because I can relate, but it was pretty apparent. Mazzy was a Toronto talk radio artist before getting fired and started working in a town as small as Pontypool. He's clearly bored, and trying to stir shit up, make the small minded small-towners think about something, anything. He was so excited when shit started happening that he didn't really think about the hysteria he was causing. I just liked that because I know first hand that people in a small town will do anything for fun/attention. (Some kids in my town beat a carny to death with a baseball bat. We're desperate for excitement and it's sad.)

French/English relations. Firstly the BBC asking if the attacks were related to separatist terrorist attacks (In the 60s a group called the FLQ would set up mailbox bombs to try to kill English speaking Canadians in Quebec). Then Mazzy's distaste for speaking french near the end of the film. Look on his face was priceless.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Evil Dead

Avatar: Yes, yes... I finally got around to seeing it. Kinda late, but whatever. :P

Visuals: Absolutely stunning. Jaw dropping. Etc. Etc. Etc.
Plotline: Tired, cliched, and overdone. I've seen it used at least 197 times before. Quite disappointing actually given the total timeframe that this movie has been in the works by Cameron.
3D: Some scenes were amazing. Others were just plain annoying. The tech has a ways to go yet. I'm looking forward to the Blu-Ray so I can watch it without the distractions of blurry, doubled images in the periphery.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:13 PM
A little glass vial?

Send a message via MSN to nightmare_of _death Send a message via Yahoo to nightmare_of _death Send a message via Skype™ to nightmare_of _death
Quote:
Originally Posted by siorai View Post
Avatar: Yes, yes... I finally got around to seeing it. Kinda late, but whatever. :P

Visuals: Absolutely stunning. Jaw dropping. Etc. Etc. Etc.
Plotline: Tired, cliched, and overdone. I've seen it used at least 197 times before. Quite disappointing actually given the total timeframe that this movie has been in the works by Cameron.
3D: Some scenes were amazing. Others were just plain annoying. The tech has a ways to go yet. I'm looking forward to the Blu-Ray so I can watch it without the distractions of blurry, doubled images in the periphery.

I still haven't seen Avatar, heck I still haven't seen the new Alice in Wonderland either.I don't get to the movies a lot, and was going to go a few weeks ago,but it would of cut time really close and my friends and I had to make it to another theatre before midnight.

I did watch 'Fanboys' a few weeks ago, that was hilarious. A must see for any sci-fi fan,I am a fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek and I laughed so hard during this movie!
Old 04-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Midnight toker

The Great Escape: One of my favourite films. Quality film and superb ensemble cast.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:05 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmacabre View Post
First thing I picked up on was the weather in central Ontario, and mention of Seasonal Affective Disorder. I think that was a nice way to set up the depression, paranoia and being stuck inside. Even without "conversationalists" running around, the movie could have played out similarly.

Sense of place, and small town boredom is huge. Maybe I found that more effective because I can relate, but it was pretty apparent. Mazzy was a Toronto talk radio artist before getting fired and started working in a town as small as Pontypool. He's clearly bored, and trying to stir shit up, make the small minded small-towners think about something, anything. He was so excited when shit started happening that he didn't really think about the hysteria he was causing. I just liked that because I know first hand that people in a small town will do anything for fun/attention. (Some kids in my town beat a carny to death with a baseball bat. We're desperate for excitement and it's sad.)

French/English relations. Firstly the BBC asking if the attacks were related to separatist terrorist attacks (In the 60s a group called the FLQ would set up mailbox bombs to try to kill English speaking Canadians in Quebec). Then Mazzy's distaste for speaking french near the end of the film. Look on his face was priceless.
Hm. Very interesting, MM ! I'll have to check this one out again and consider that context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
One of the three films of Suzuki's Taisho trilogy. Read about this but never heard from anyone.

Sounds intriguing. You have peaked my interest, Fort, thank you.

Kino release?
Definitely check it out!
Yeah, it's a Kino release. The picture's not bad; the colors are kind of off, I think the contrast is way too low and they've messed with the levels a bit. But the aspect ratio's right and everything, and the film itself seems in pretty good shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
Trouble Every Day (2001). French art-house horror at its brutal best. This story starts out menacingly slow and brilliantly unrevealing. Things just do not seem to connect, with the one exception that the viewer somehow knows that horrible things are going to come about. The story never really gets fully developed, but that does not detract from its horrify central element and allows for the imagination to fill in the blanks. There are two scenes that are worthy of special mention for a "most brutal and squeamish scene ever" nomination. The camera work is playful and original, lingering at times in a most threatening manner. The acting was wonderful, with Vincent Gallo owning the central element of this film's importance. The direction-sublime! Overall, this was simply an artful display of intimately terrorizing horror. Merci beaucoup.
derek
Great film. Such an unusual surprise from Claire Denis, but it's great to see excellent filmmakers branch out like that.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Funny People. My favorite Apatow movie yet. Funny, painful and complex with no easy answers.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmacabre View Post

That does put a different spin on it all. Thanks for sharing :)
Old 04-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straker View Post
The Great Escape: One of my favourite films. Quality film and superb ensemble cast.
I can't count how many times I've watched that film. Fantastic movie!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Cranky

The Children

Kids are scarey!

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 04-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Pirate of Bengal

The Hide (2008)

Pretty slow burn but intriguing.

>>: B+

Clash of the Titans (2010)

>>: B-