Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum

Old 06-16-2018, 07:16 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Is downloading public domain horror movies right or wrong?

I know it's illegal to download movies without paying for them but what about public domain movies like Night of the Living Dead and Nosferatu?
Old 06-19-2018, 07:03 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

I mean the way I see it if the movies are in the public domain then it should be OK to download them for free, right?

I have a USB flash drive with 7 classic public domain horror movies downloaded on it like Night of the Living Dead, Carnival of Souls, House on Haunted Hill, The Last Man on Earth, Dementia 13, Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror, and The Phantom of the Opera. The quality of the videos isn't the best but it's kind of OK since they are such old black and white movies, and it's so much easier than trying to hunt them down on bluray or DVD.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:07 PM
That fucking Guy...

Public Domain: The state of belonging or being available to the public as a whole, especially through not being subject to copyright or other legal restrictions.

The definition in itself contains the information you are asking for.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:11 AM
Immortal horror fan

There is a whole forum dedicated to preserving older movies as they were in theaters in high resolution. Public domain or not. Night of the Living Dead remake, Friday the 13th Part 9, and a bunch of other horror movies have been restored that studios haven't released properly. I don't have a problem with projects like that. On the HorrorDVDs forum there was a whole topic about that messed up Night of the Living Dead remake that Twilight Time released as a limited edition. The release from that forum was far better.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:47 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

I have a hard time downloading stuff because I don't have an actual computer anymore and I had to use my PS3 system. I found a lot of good movies on archive.org

I've had to browse through a lot of downloads and test them out to find the versions of each movie I like in a watchable form. They're not the best quality but I still enjoy them because I feel like those black and white B movies from forever ago deserve to be viewed with a little fuzziness and static. It's like flawed but beautiful.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:51 AM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
There is a whole forum dedicated to preserving older movies as they were in theaters in high resolution. Public domain or not. Night of the Living Dead remake, Friday the 13th Part 9, and a bunch of other horror movies have been restored that studios haven't released properly. I don't have a problem with projects like that. On the HorrorDVDs forum there was a whole topic about that messed up Night of the Living Dead remake that Twilight Time released as a limited edition. The release from that forum was far better.
Do you have a link to that forum? Was the Twilight Time NOTLD the extended version?
Old 06-26-2018, 10:02 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Do you have a link to that forum? Was the Twilight Time NOTLD the extended version?
I sent you a private message.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:39 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

I somehow deleted all my saved movies by accident. So darn.