Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-17-2022, 04:04 PM
Evil Dead

Smile

The 80's Horror Movie I watched was The Stuff. I've never seen it before, but I loved it, it's cheesy but I love the horror movie so much that I bought it on Blu-Ray. This is what I love about 80's horror movies.

Old 11-23-2022, 03:38 AM
Evil Dead

BACK TO SCHOOL (1986). This Rodney Dangerfield comedy of a Self Made man attending college to be closer to his son, further his education and party hard after divorcing his wife has aged quite well. Honestly, the funniest bits are Rodney just being Rodney.

He really was one of the greats-good support by Ned Beatty, Keith Gordon and lovely Sally Kellerman. ***1/2
Old 11-24-2022, 08:06 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
Home Sweet Home 1981
Old 11-24-2022, 11:57 PM
Evil Dead

FLASH GORDON (1981). Very cheesy and campy film, but quite a bit of fun and certainly worth seeing. Sam Jones is kind of wooden as Flash, but He gets great support from Max Von Sydow (Ming The Merciless), Topol, the lovely Melody Anderson AND Ornella Muti as well as the extremely hammy Brian Blessed (Prince Vultan of the Hawkmen. A lot of the silliness comes from the script by Lorenzo Semple Jr (TV's BATMAN and King Kong 1976) and the bombastic score from Queen-see if You don't find yourself shouting out "FLASH! Ahh-AAAH!" ***
Old 11-25-2022, 06:56 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
Blood Rage
Old 11-26-2022, 04:01 AM
Evil Dead

THE DOLL SQUAD (1973). Very low budget film that Aaron Spelling must have seen for the idea of CHARLIE'S ANGELS-the leader here is also named Sabrina (Francine York, who did lots of TV, is a knockout), the ladies gets instructions and some James Bond-ish elements one into place. Silly, but enjoyable and nice to see Michael Ansara and Tura Satana (FASTER PUSSYCAT! KILL! KILL!). ***
Old 12-02-2022, 10:44 AM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
BACK TO SCHOOL (1986). This Rodney Dangerfield comedy of a Self Made man attending college to be closer to his son, further his education and party hard after divorcing his wife has aged quite well. Honestly, the funniest bits are Rodney just being Rodney.

He really was one of the greats-good support by Ned Beatty, Keith Gordon and lovely Sally Kellerman. ***1/2
Well said! Back to School was a very nice surprise. Had a great mix of comedy and seriousness. Excellent casting. Helped put Morton Downey Jr back on the map, who had a mesmerizing bit part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryeDwight View Post
FLASH GORDON (1981). Very cheesy and campy film, but quite a bit of fun and certainly worth seeing. Sam Jones is kind of wooden as Flash, but He gets great support from Max Von Sydow (Ming The Merciless), Topol, the lovely Melody Anderson AND Ornella Muti as well as the extremely hammy Brian Blessed (Prince Vultan of the Hawkmen. A lot of the silliness comes from the script by Lorenzo Semple Jr (TV's BATMAN and King Kong 1976) and the bombastic score from Queen-see if You don't find yourself shouting out "FLASH! Ahh-AAAH!" ***
Agreed on all that; that's exactly how I remember it.

On the big screen it zipped along at a fast pace. Definitely wacky, but gratefully didn't seem self-aware at all. It's all very familiar but doesn't linger.

I think I tried watching once more on the small screen, and it felt like a film you might only want to see once.

Old 12-03-2022, 11:15 PM
Evil Dead

Friday the 13th (1980) ★★★★

If you look at arguable things like effects, budget, lack of originality (ie unashamedly ropping off other films like Halloween and Carrie),... there are plenty of reasons why this film should not*work.

And yet it does. Even if it's just with the anticipation of mark out moments like when Bacon gets it or the introduction of Crazy Ralph. And credit where credit is due, Betsy Palmer does show her action chops. Even if the script was a piece of...*dreck.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:16 PM
Evil Dead

Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) ★★★½

Things you notice on the umpteenth rewatch: Vicky's frog in a blender joke drowns out Vandenberg's joke about Beethoven. And while Jason is often portrayed with a chainsaw in pop culture... the only time it's actually used, he falls victim to it. Go*figure.

Pretty much a rinse and repeat of the first one, but Jason's entry and the kills add to the*fun.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:39 PM
Evil Dead

Friday the 13th Part III (1982) ★★½

The shoehorned in 3d bits do get more annoying with time and some of the acting is more than questionable. Case in point: Shelly's*deeaad.

But Jason did get his iconic mask and we got the handstand kill. So there's*that.

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) ★★★★

Things you notice on the umpteenth rewatch: Rob "Oh god, he's killing me"-'s name? Dyer. That's a bit on the nose, don't you*think?

Or the look in Feldog's eyes as he is chopping away at Jason. Makes you wonder if he was really imagining chopping away at Joseph*Zito.

Still one of the best entries in the series,*though.

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985) ★★

Over the years, I have grown to be more mild towards this one as I was in my childhood. It's not as terrible as I thought before. It even has a few bits that were kind of cool and funny in their own campy way, like Violet's girlie robot dance, the classic Regi scream or Tommy bringing back his masks. White trash Rhea Perlman was kind of funny too. And, lest we forget, them damn*echilladas.

Demon, are you okay?
Demon, are you okay?
Are you okay, Demon?
You've been hit by
You've been struck by
Them damn*enchilladas!

That said, it's still pretty bad. It still has a lot to be desired. The horny couple gets ok kills, but most kills are off screen and the some of the ones on screen - like the greaser with the flare - look more cartoonishly silly than creepy. And of course the sleazy atmosphere, where the director cared less about the*actors.

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986) ★★★★

Things you notice/wonder on the umpteenth*rewatch:

- Knowing this film (supposedly) inspired Kevin Williamson to write what later became Scream makes you appreciate the self parody bits more: the Bond intro, the dead meat conversation, American*Excess

- Am I the only one who thinks Sheriff Garris kind of looks like Xander*Berkeley?

- Is the scared little girl camper supposed to be a nod to*Poltergeist?

- Alice from part 1 is a way better drawing artist than Megan*Garris.