Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-17-2020, 12:20 AM
Evil Dead

EVIL UNDER THE SUN (1982). Great location shots (Majorca Spain), interiors and an incredible cast get buried under what is essentially a remake of the far superior DEATH ON THE NILE (1978), right down to very similar lines and situations.Campy, but not in a good way. **
Old 04-17-2020, 09:27 PM
Immortal horror fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila Munster View Post
While watching Galaxy of Terror (1981), my first thought was "ALIEN". The movie was produced by Roger Corman and it was also his second film on which James Cameron worked as a crewman. Cameron's film techniques were quite innovative at that time, I guess.

Surely, Alien (1979), directed by Ridley Scott, was an inspiration for Galaxy of Terror. It's quite noticeable. James Cameron later directed the sequel of Alien, Aliens (1986) which looks like Galaxy of Terror in some ways - as you said.
The movie is old-school and bizarre. I especially remember one scene - something 'maggot-like' raping a woman. It was gross, weird and somewhat surreal. I don't know why I have that particular scene in mind, perhaps because of all its oddity...

It's a graphic S-F flick. I also had the feeling as if I was watching a real version of a comic book. The whole movie definitely has something cartoon about it.
That maggot worm thing is down right crazy. I now think it's way worse than the scene in Evil Dead. Both the original and remake. Because I'm reading on wiki even though there is a source notation, that the worm scene was supposed to be even more blatant.

Galaxy of Terror has a good premise about your fears being manifest on this planet or near that pyramid. I read that Alien was influenced by Heavy Metal or the French version as well. I bet a directors like Ridley Scott or George Lucas just wanted to make better versions of those stories. I think George Lucas said something like he wanted to make a better B movie. Some times it works and some times it doesn't.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:27 AM
病気の

The Changeling, 1980. 9/10

Director: Peter Medak

Thumb resize.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:54 AM
病気の

The Mechanic, 1972. 8/10

Director: Michael Winner

Old 04-20-2020, 01:03 AM
Evil Dead

FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL (1974). >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The last in the series, this Hammer film isn't bad, but quite erratic. Peter Cushing is excellent as always-love the athleticism he shows when trying calm the Monster in one scene- but Shane Briant comes off as more smug than anything else and he really drags the film down, as far as I'm concerned. Madeline Smith affecting, but not much to do for most of the film.
A lot more gore here as well and a sub plot where Frankenstein wants to expand the experiment by having the Monster rape Angel truly borders on tastelessness-due to films getting more violent during that time, perhaps Hammer had to up the ante.
I do feel Dave Prowse is great as the monster...truly repellant yet extremely sympathetic....how You will feel for him when he is weeping. Great makeup on him, even if the body is right out of Ron Jeremy. ***
Old 04-26-2020, 12:56 AM
Evil Dead

Bad Taste - Granted, I know it's supposed to be campy kitsch and what not, but I admit I spent most of the first hour thinking da fuq am I watching? The last half hour or so, however, was so gloriously over the top and ludicrous that it won me over.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:37 AM
Evil Dead

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Bad Taste - Granted, I know it's supposed to be campy kitsch and what not, but I admit I spent most of the first hour thinking da fuq am I watching? The last half hour or so, however, was so gloriously over the top and ludicrous that it won me over.
Yes! That one is very weird, but also very original and interesting! If you like those old school done right(not as much as in cheesy) artsy and gory horror films from the 1970s like "Texas Chainsaw Massacre," "The Hills Have Eyes," and the like, you should definitely find that one worth a look as well. Another great one of that kind is "Motel Hell."
Old 04-26-2020, 08:58 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_horror_fan View Post
Yes! That one is very weird, but also very original and interesting! If you like those old school done right(not as much as in cheesy) artsy and gory horror films from the 1970s like "Texas Chainsaw Massacre," "The Hills Have Eyes," and the like, you should definitely find that one worth a look as well. Another great one of that kind is "Motel Hell."
One thing that struck me was how nonchalant these "soldiers" (or whatever they were) sounded. When you are used to Schwarzenegger and "get to the chopper!" and such, they really sound like "oh yeah, we'll kill the bad guys. No biggie, that's just how we roll".
Old 04-30-2020, 11:54 PM
Evil Dead

SLEUTH (1972). A long time favorite since seeing it in the theaters in the 70's, my wife and I literally watched the VHS until it broke. Michael Caine is seeing Laurence Olivier's wife and the two men meet to be broker an agreement that will benefit them both-Larry rid of the wife and Michael with some extra cash-that quickly turns into something altogether different. Very involved with some hammy acting (especially from Olivier), but fantastic dialogue and enough twists and turns to keep You staying to the end.
Frustrated that there was no DVD release (finally got a good copy from Amazon two years ago), decided to check out the remake with Michael (in the Olivier role), Jude Law and directed by Kenneth Branagh. Horrified and disgusted at how awful the 2004 version is in comparison and pissed that the garbage was so available while the diamond wasn't. ****1/2
Old 05-04-2020, 04:06 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalSlasher View Post
That maggot worm thing is down right crazy. I now think it's way worse than the scene in Evil Dead. Both the original and remake. Because I'm reading on wiki even though there is a source notation, that the worm scene was supposed to be even more blatant.

Galaxy of Terror has a good premise about your fears being manifest on this planet or near that pyramid. I read that Alien was influenced by Heavy Metal or the French version as well. I bet a directors like Ridley Scott or George Lucas just wanted to make better versions of those stories. I think George Lucas said something like he wanted to make a better B movie. Some times it works and some times it doesn't.
What scene in Evil Dead are you taking about, in both the original and remake? I've seen them both and trying to figure out what scene in those to compares to the alien worm raping the woman.

Speaking of "premise about your fears being manifest on this planet or near that pyramid", that sounds like Event Horizon and Sphere.

Actually, if you're kinda into films that appears to have influenced Alien, or those type of films in general, check out Planet of the Vampires (1965), directed by Mario Bava. You'll want to pay close attention to the dialogue.

The English dub version, which I suspect is what's most available, has voices you've heard in the Speed Racer cartoons.