Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-20-2021, 01:03 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I've actually never seen Silent Night, Deadly Night 84 (SNDN). I see you liked it. I heard it's pretty unique.

I remember seeing ads on TV. I was just reading some of wiki on it, "Television advertisements, which aired between episodes of family-friendly series such as Three's Company and Little House on the Prairie, led to parents complaining that their children were terrified of Santa Claus." During Little House on the Prairie? That's really funny. I wonder why they chose that slot? Makes you wonder if they were trying to get a reaction that would lead to some free publicity? If so, it worked.

I suppose the execs who ran the ad during Little House probably should have considered if it was appropriate for the children who'd be watching the TV show.

LOL! Oh, did they just refer to Three's Company as "family-friendly"? What kid would watch 3 Co with their parents? Who wrote this?

There were some street protests and the producers pulled the ads and pulled the film from theatres after about a couple weeks, despite good sales.

During the 'At the Movies' film review Siskel and Ebert read the names of the companies, writers and producers and said they should be ashamed of themselves. Wow.

I guess the general idea was, "An editorial published in Variety stated: "Most protests were generated by the feeling that the depiction of a killer in a Santa Claus suit would traumatize children and undermine their traditional trust in Santa Claus." "Undermine their traditional trust in Santa Claus"? What does that mean? Trust Santa about what, not to kill them? "Trust in Santa"? What an odd thought.

My folks never told us there was a Santa Claus. They let us know the gifts were from them! I'm certain I never asked if he was real; but if I had they wouldve told me he wasnt. Personally, I dont think you should lie to your kids. I never found it offensive for depicting Santa as the 80s Santa is mythical, though there was a real St Nick.

There was a short window where I might have wanted to see SNDN. Cause of my age I wouldnt have been able to see it in the theatres (R), as I wouldnt have asked my folks to see this. The local theatre did allow my friends and I see some Restricted films, but my friends wouldnt haven gone for SNDN. By the time I could rent it, I think I had soured a bit on some of the 80s horror 'crudeness for crudeness sake' stuff, just wasnt my personal taste anymore. Course, I'm just making some assumptions about SNDN... I noticed every film is different.
I saw SNDN in the theaters the first week after its release when all the
controversy was beginning to boil over. Liked it back in 1984, but seeing it almost 30 years later, really not that good. And Bloof is right about the first sequel...avoid. Not worth your time, especially when almost half of SNDN2 is rehashed from the original.
Old 12-20-2021, 01:15 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Jarvis View Post
Alligator was the type of schlocky B-movie that manages to balance between hilarious and brilliant. A perfect fit for a film that fits the slew of Jaws knock-offs that popped up in the late seventies.

Robert Forster is great as the rogue cop with the troubled past. The love intrest scientist is as predictable and typical as you would expect. And the kills are as comedically over the top as one would hope.

Ps: Also funny to see a kid wearing a t-shirt that said "I'm a pepper". Reminded me of what sculpt posted about David Naughton.
We were trying to find this yesterday on HULU! No luck, so We watched...

HARRY IN YOUR POCKET (1972). Not a classic, but worth watching. Neophyte pickpocket Michael Sarrazin (how happy my wife was!) with new girlfriend Trish Vandevere (How happy I was!) who He meets trying to snatch her watch take the advice of a fence and team up with two "Pro" pickpockets (James Coburn and Walter Pidgeon.

Good performances by the four (especially Walter ), although what they are doing is despicable. Sort of frightening to see the techniques used to snatch other people's property and in an era where Credit cards weren't the norm and no worry about losing Your Social Security card or other ID.
Also nice to see locations other than the obvious (like NYC, LA, etc) and We get good footage of Seattle WA, Victoria BC and Salt Lake City UT. **
Old 12-26-2021, 01:45 AM
I kick ass for the lord!

Halloween 3
Old 12-26-2021, 01:42 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaeKwonZombie View Post
Halloween 3
Halloween 3... what'd ya think?

Old 12-28-2021, 02:23 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via Yahoo to bamahorrorfan87
Home sweet home
Old 12-31-2021, 01:18 AM
Evil Dead

CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES (1972). Fourth film in the APES saga , revealing how Simians rose above Humans in the pecking order isn't bad, although budget restraints were beginning to show, especially in crowd scenes. Very fine performances by Roddy McDowell and Ricardo Montalban, but film seems more violent than earlier ones and pretty mean spirited throughout. ***
Old 01-01-2022, 09:52 AM
Evil Dead

New year’s evil
Old 01-02-2022, 02:12 AM
Evil Dead

Bloody new year
Old 01-03-2022, 05:16 PM
Evil Dead

Fatal games