Old 08-25-2018, 08:06 AM
Evil Dead

back on topic soon, I promise

Americans also tend to forget that 50,000 Americans died in that war, but 600,000 Vietnamese did.

Now I'll really, really get back on topic...What were we talking about? Oh, yeah, people who have never heard of Karloff or Lugosi. Well, I have heard that there are high school kids in America who can't find America on a map, and who can't answer the question "Name a country in Asia." Not knowing Karloff is not as bad as that (slightly.)
Now, I can forgive someone who doesn't recognize the name George Zucco, in spite of his long list of films. I saw his vampire film "Dead Men Walk"again a while ago, and it was better than I remembered. Non-horror fans might remember him from his playing Professor Moriarty in "The adventures of Sherlock Holmes."
Old 08-25-2018, 01:33 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvablePsycho View Post
I know this is getting off topic but I don't understand why Americans take such pride in fighting that war. They were killing their own people over a disagreement in one of the bloodiest wars in American history so I'd think that they should be more ashamed of that. Also I just don't get why people from the South go around waving a Confederate flag in one hand and an American flag in the other. What an oxymoron...

Ok I'm done with being off topic now I promise.
I don't think anyone is proud a civil war happened. They may be proud to have family members who 'preserved the union' or 'defended their homeland'. The other options were 'stay with my family', 'desertion' and 'conscientious objector'. I think it's more honoring sacrifices made, and remembering history, which is helpful in preventing history from repeating itself.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:31 PM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
I don't think anyone is proud a civil war happened. They may be proud to have family members who 'preserved the union' or 'defended their homeland'. The other options were 'stay with my family', 'desertion' and 'conscientious objector'. I think it's more honoring sacrifices made, and remembering history, which is helpful in preventing history from repeating itself.
I see it very differently. I see one side that wants to believe they were doing the right thing (The North), and I see another side that refuses to accept the fact that they lost miserably (The South).

I agree that it is important to study history so that we don't repeat it, but I also feel like obsessing over history and refusing to let go of the past can be very bad too. In fact that sort of thinking can probably cause history to repeat itself too when you think about it...

Anyways this really is getting way off topic and I apologize for that.

Back to movies on cable. The thing I hate the most about watching any kind of movie on cable is the amount of content they cut out. They don't just censor movies anymore, they cut out as many scenes as they possibly can just so that they have room to put in all those commercials that nobody cares about. Sometimes there will be huge chunks of important scenes missing out of movies so basically that makes the movie not even worth watching.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:28 AM
Evil is Better

Can we keep this thread on the topic of Horror movies on Cable please?

Old 08-26-2018, 05:56 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Can we keep this thread on the topic of Horror movies on Cable please?
I'm trying too lol
Old 08-27-2018, 07:47 AM
Evil Dead

question

does horror movies on cable mean channels you can only get on cable, or all the stations the cable company carries?

To combine cable horror movies with Vietnam: I think Deathdream is definitely worth seeing. In the horror movie book I had before cable tv, the author called that movie one of the little-known late-night classics.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:31 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoneus1957 View Post
does horror movies on cable mean channels you can only get on cable, or all the stations the cable company carries?

To combine cable horror movies with Vietnam: I think Deathdream is definitely worth seeing. In the horror movie book I had before cable tv, the author called that movie one of the little-known late-night classics.
Deathdream? Never heard of it. It's a Vietnam horror movie?