Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Little Boo

Trying to find the authors of these shorts stories.

I'm trying to see if anyone here can help me find the names and authors of these stories.

Years ago (around 2001), I was into reading a lot of horror anthologies and there are 2 stories that I loved but cannot remember the names or the authors. Hopefully someone can help me.

The first one I though was from Robert Bloch (but possibly because it had another Bloch story in it) about a woman who convinces a little girl to get into her car after school, saying that the girl's parents want the woman to look after her. They drive around for a while and the woman's behaviour starts to become more unsettling as she starts to call the little girl by another name.
A little while later, they drive near the school and the girl sees police near by. Scared, she soon finds a chance to escape and jumps out of the car and runs away. The woman yells after her, frantic and then goes to the back of the car and opens the trunk. She heaves a sigh of relief as she sees another little girl's body curled up inside and says something along the lines of "Oh, there you are. Safe and sound."

The other one comes from a collection of horror/scary stories picked by other horror writers. It has an unnamed main character with no apparent motive other than destruction. It is sort of like "Tuesday, write letter to Mr. Whatever..." and is almost like a daily planner of increasingly bizarre and harmful things that sets the neighbours after each other until they are just about to kill each other, then the unnamed characters moves. (Sounds very much like a "Needful Things" kinda plot.)
The introducing author stated that while it was not outwardly horrific, the simple act of creating havoc and pain for no reason, and done in a straightforward way, was scary and unsettling and I agree.

I've tried to provide as many details as I can. Hopefully someone recognizes these great stories so I can reread them.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:55 AM
Little Boo

I'm pretty sure the second story that you are looking for is The Distributor by Richard Matheson. This was included in a volume entitled My Favorite Horror Story and was selected by F. Paul Wilson.

The first story sounds familiar but I can't place it for certain. You may want to check an anthology titled Monsters in Our Midst that was edited by Robert Bloch.

If I remember it, I will let you know.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-07-2015, 03:33 PM
Little Boo

Thank you so much! The Distributor is one of the ones that I was looking for. My local library has a copy of Monsters in our Midst so I'll be sure to look there. I appreciate your help, now I can get those goosebumps all over again.