Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Foreign Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Banned

Started watching "Voices" from the "8 Films To Die For" series......I can't watch sub-titled movies when I'm tired...puts me right to sleep.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

sukiyaki western django
Old 01-12-2010, 03:49 AM
Bad Natured

Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion (1972). A WIP flick that takes Japanese sexploitation to the next level by turning it into art. The lead, played by the beautiful Meiko Kaji of Lady Snowblood fame, plays her coldly erotic part with aplomb. With no lack of boobs (almost every violent scenes begins with the ripping open some gal's shirt) the senseless violence and torture is captured with fun camera angles. Some of the bizarre sounds that are used only help to further the artfully disquieting atmosphere. Smoothly mixing the absurd with surrealism, this movie goes where it wants in style, almost in way comparable to the inimitable Seijun Suzuki. The setup for the prison guards to visually exploit the gals in the "walkover" scene is hilarious. If there is such a thing as Japanese arthouse sexploitation, then this just might be its flagship. Ashe.
derek

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Little Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Return View Post
Ju-On...like a month ago. The stores around here dont carry many Aisian flicks. Been meaning to check out The Eye 2 though, the 1st was great.
you should see Ju-on 2, it pwns
Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

prisoner 701 sasori
Old 01-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Little Boo

Ringu is also a good asian film, I want to the korean version, and the sequals:D
Old 01-14-2010, 03:42 AM
Bad Natured

Kill Zone (2005). This pretty much an outstanding flick on all accounts. The story itseslf was intriguing, with many elements moving it forward in meaning and depth. This was also a pleasingly dark and even artsy affair. The direction and cinematography were wonderful. The acting was solid. The ending was sublime. And the fighting was minimal but furious. The knife vs police baton fight was insanity, and the kung fu cum Brazilian wrestling ending was actually pretty cool. All in all an impressive story with some intense fighting sprinkled in. Ashe.
derek

Old 01-16-2010, 06:20 AM
Bad Natured

Alive (2002). From the guys that did Versus and Azumi, this is quite a departure from their previous work. For people that are looking for an action intensive rollercoaster of a flick, this will fall flat. It starts out light on action, but makes up for it with some pretty good dialogue, unnerving atmosphere, and pretty decent character development. The story itself, based on a comic, is pretty twisted. i love how the Japanese can take something that would be stupid or goofy if done in the states and make it into something worthwhile. The ending is action-filled, and here we can see the comic book feel coming to fruition. Being a cerebral-minded Japanese action flick that is based on a comic, this may not be for everybody; if those characteristics don't scare ya off, then it will likely be a great view. Ashe.
d

Old 01-17-2010, 03:46 AM
Bad Natured

Once Upon a Time in China 3 (1993). Another great addition to the series. Must have been both a choreagrapher's and costume designer's nightmare. Wong's sidekick really has a penchant for accidental mischief with disasterous results. Ashe.
d

Old 01-18-2010, 04:08 AM
Bad Natured

Tai-Chi Master (1993). One of Jet Li's best in my opinion, this flick has it all, from a great story sprinkled with a bit of humor to some absolutely spectacular fight scenes. Of course, some of the fighting was a bit over the top, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Jet Li does a nice job acting here as well, and his character is more than his usual stony self. Michelle Yeoh was also impressive, both as an actor and a fighter. Great stuff. Ashe.
derek