Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies

Old 06-20-2018, 08:35 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow (1999) compared to Sweeney Todd (2007)

Anybody else ever notice how the characters in both movies are very similar to each other?

The Headless Horseman/Sweeney Todd: Both were murderers going around killing people and being manipulated by an evil woman.

Lady Mary Van Tassel/Mrs. Lovett: Both were older, beautiful, scheming women who lied and murdered to get what they wanted and were also manipulating the evil villain of those two movies.

Ichabod Crane/Anthony: Both were young, handsome, and sensitive men who fell in love with a beautiful blonde girl and came to her rescue.

Katrina Van Tassel/Joanna: Both were beautiful young women with blonde hair who had a mysterious connection to all the evil doings in the two movies (despite that they were both innocent) and they both fell in love with the handsome young man who arrived in town out of nowhere.

Young Masbath/Toby: Both were orphaned teenagers who became servants to the main characters of each movie and looked up to them as parental figures.

The Town Elders/Judge Turpin: A bunch of old guys with a lot of political power who are corrupt and abuse their authority, eventually getting killed by the main villain in the end.

Ichabod Crane's mother/Lucy: Beautiful women from the main character's past who became tragic victims.

I guess maybe it's a recurring theme that Tim Burton liked using?
Old 07-11-2018, 09:28 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Were my comparisons really worthy of no comment?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:01 AM
Evil Dead

a reply

I remember seeing the original opera Sweeney Todd when it was on tv. Sweeney Todd's partner was played by Angela Lansbury, who is not my idea of beautiful. Todd and the woman seemed more like equal partners to me. I mean, even before she showed up, Todd was determined to get revenge.

I am not sure I even finished watching the Johnny Depp version. The idea of the movie seemed so unnecessary to me. Same for his version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Question about Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Why do so many tv stations see this as an appropriate family movie for holidays? I don't think the people who put this movie in the schedule have seen the movie. It's creepy and perverse, and I don't think Roald Dahl liked children. Maybe they just think that any movie which features children must be appropriate for children.

My take on the song "Candyman" is influenced by my hearing Sammy Davis Junior sing the song endlessly on the radio. It makes it hard for me to appreciate the song.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:12 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoneus1957 View Post
I remember seeing the original opera Sweeney Todd when it was on tv. Sweeney Todd's partner was played by Angela Lansbury, who is not my idea of beautiful. Todd and the woman seemed more like equal partners to me. I mean, even before she showed up, Todd was determined to get revenge.

I am not sure I even finished watching the Johnny Depp version. The idea of the movie seemed so unnecessary to me. Same for his version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Question about Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Why do so many tv stations see this as an appropriate family movie for holidays? I don't think the people who put this movie in the schedule have seen the movie. It's creepy and perverse, and I don't think Roald Dahl liked children. Maybe they just think that any movie which features children must be appropriate for children.

My take on the song "Candyman" is influenced by my hearing Sammy Davis Junior sing the song endlessly on the radio. It makes it hard for me to appreciate the song.
From what I have looked up online the musical of Sweeney Todd was based off an old murder mystery written in the mid-1800's called "The String of Pearls". It has been re-worked into many different variations of the original story and has been made into plays as well as movies.

The character of Mrs. Lovett always changes (and so do the other characters). Sometimes she is a homely old woman, and sometimes she is a beautiful femme fatale. But she is always Todd's partner in crime.