Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-27-2014, 09:07 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post

One of the finest films of it's era, and one of Burton's best.

The infallible, never-say-die spirit of the worst director of horror cinema (or cinema in general) is perfected to the T by Depp's towering performance, Bill Murray shines in a role tailor-made for him, Sarah Jessica Parker and Patricia Arquette play their muse roles to near-perfection, and Lisa Marie makes for a delectable Vampira.

But I thought the film belonged completely to Martin Landau's Bela Lugosi. Landau captures the essence of Lugosi in his last days, an ageing, forgotten superstar who yearns for the spotlight one final time, despite his long drug addiction getting the better of him. You can feel his melancholiness, his despair, his legacy of being THE Count, and his larger-than-life presence. An Oscar well-deserved, sir. Hats off!

A must-watch, if any of you haven't already. Don't make me shoot you!

Yes, excellent film. I'm a Burton fan, but oddly I didn't see this film until last year. A lot of heart, art and fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
I watched "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" today, and it was absolutely awful. I liked how they took it as a sort of courtroom drama, but that caused problems as well. There was no time to develop Emily Rose at all. Right off the bat, she's possessed, and I don't care about her because I know nothing about her. Also, the acting was subpar, the cinematography was somewhat annoying (lots of shaky cam), and it was never scary. For the most part, Emily Rose was either hallucinating about people's faces contorting (oooh scary) or practicing her Cirque du Soleil routine.

2/10
I agree with much of your description of the problems. I also felt like Emily Rose herself was a missing character. Was not a great film, but I still liked it, found it entertaining and interesting.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:21 AM
Evil Dead

What it should have done is make the Emily Rose segments more dramatic and not horror like the courtroom segments and show more of Emily than talk about her. I wouldn't have a problem if it wasn't a horror movie and was instead a straight-up courtroom drama. .
Old 07-28-2014, 06:48 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
What it should have done is make the Emily Rose segments more dramatic and not horror like the courtroom segments and show more of Emily than talk about her. I wouldn't have a problem if it wasn't a horror movie and was instead a straight-up courtroom drama. .
Personally I didn't have a problem with them not developing Emily's character because I didn't see this movie as an exorcism movie where its all about the possessed and what they're going through. It was more of a religion vs. Science debate told through a horror movie and a courtroom drama. Emily's ordeal was just the backdrop and so it wasn't too important to focus on her.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:04 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villain View Post
Personally I didn't have a problem with them not developing Emily's character because I didn't see this movie as an exorcism movie where its all about the possessed and what they're going through. It was more of a religion vs. Science debate told through a horror movie and a courtroom drama. Emily's ordeal was just the backdrop and so it wasn't too important to focus on her.
The point I'm making is that, because I know nothing about her, I don't care about her being possessed, whether she was killed or not, or whether the guy was guilty or not. I'm not really asking for like 45 minutes to build up her character because in the Exorcist, Regan spent most of her time possessed but she did have some development at the beginning of the movie, making me care about her more than if there was no development. I get your point, but I think it would have made it more effective if we knew more about her.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 AM
Evil Dead

RAMBO (2007). Third sequel in the series and directed pretty well by Sylvester Stallone. Moves quick, but incredibly violent. ***
Old 07-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Evil is Better

Quote:
The point I'm making is that, because I know nothing about her, I don't care about her being possessed, whether she was killed or not, or whether the guy was guilty or not. I'm not really asking for like 45 minutes to build up her character because in the Exorcist, Regan spent most of her time possessed but she did have some development at the beginning of the movie, making me care about her more than if there was no development. I get your point, but I think it would have made it more effective if we knew more about her.
the point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't matter if you care about her or not.the possessed girl isnt important in this story because it's not about her and it's not about her possession. It's about the priest and science vs religion and whether or not he was wrong to perform an exorcism. in the Exorcist it was important that you cared about Regan's character because it was about her and her possession. We needed to like her and care about her. its not the same for this movie. But that's just my opinion

Old 07-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Evil Dead

Then what's the point of the "jump" scares and "scary imagery"? If it was science vs religion, it didn't need to be a horror movie at all.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Evil Dead

6/10
Old 07-28-2014, 12:47 PM
Evil is Better

Quote:
Then what's the point of the "jump" scares and "scary imagery"? If it was science vs religion, it didn't need to be a horror movie at all.
Well obviously it was made as a horror movie for entertainment purposes. Exorcisms are scary and a frequent basis for horror so naturally it makes sense to make it a horror movie to showcase the exorcism parts. But not only that, a horror movie can and frequently does have deeper meanings and a point to make.

You said the movie wasn't good because they didn't develop Emily's character. I was just saying I disagreed with your review because I didn't think it was important to develop her character because it wasn't important to the movie. Like I said, just my thoughts.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Evil Dead

I guess we can agree to disagree. I felt it was important, and you don't.

Tags
movie