Old 12-09-2011, 08:07 AM
indie sludge

Quote:
Originally Posted by _____V_____ View Post
What Elvis said.

I personally prefer Martyrs to Frontier(s) as well. Frontier(s) had a similar theme to many other films before it. It was a decent little film and that's about it. But Martyrs was a lot more. Without revealing any spoilers I can safely say this, it is an experience, which rubs on badly into you and will stay for awhile.
You know, just hearing this and other comments gets me even more "excited" to see Martyrs. I'm going to really digest it when I first watch it and absorb the film.

From many people, this Martyrs seems to be a movie that people only want to see once and then never again. How do you guys feel about that? Is it really that brutal that you would never want to watch it again?

I'll tell you this: I've never been more curious and more psyched to see a film in my whole life.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Pirate of Bengal

We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011)

For me it was one of the most anticipated films of 2011. And it amazingly exceeds my expectations. But I think it won't satisfy everyone here. Anyway, this may looks like an interesting new take on an "Evil Child" story from its trailer, but this is not our typical killer kid film. Based on American author Lionel Shriver's 2003 novel of the same name, this is actually more of a very gripping & unsettling psychological drama about a mother, Eva, who was ambivalence toward maternity...about her first born child Kevin; as she wasn't sure if she really wanted a child at that time. On the other hand, Kevin, a strange, largely silent, cynical, often malevolent child who as grows older, eerily become hostile toward her mother; only Eva's husband aka Kevin's father Franklin, hoping for the best, manages to overlook his son's faults...eventually results a series of domestic disturbance from a dread mother-son relationship and we see the birth of a cold-blooded sociopath.

Masterfully directed by Lynne Ramsay, the film goes back & forth by slowly revealing Eva's tortured & emotionally devastating past & present through her everyday guilt-ridden struggle to understand & cope with her son, Kevin.
Besides the excellent figurative direction, the lead cast & their performance also amplifies the film's strength to a great deal. Particularly the child & young actors played Kevin at his two different age and Tilda Swinton, who was incredible as Eva, a terrified suburban mother bearing the ramification of her sociopath son, who later becomes alienated by guilt & anger after losing everything!

Overall, this is an arty psychological horror film (which I expected from Martha Marcy May Marlene but failed terribly) focusing an unflinching battle of wills & dominance between a petrified mother and her sociopath son.

>>: A

Final Destination 5 (2011)

Most of the death scenes weren't cool & creative, the cast & characters were very average BUT this 5th entry at least comes with a decent & better story than the earlier sequels and a pretty interesting little surprise at the end. I appreciate their effort to doing something little different this time. Though I have a doubt but this can be a good "end" to the series.

>>: B+

Balada triste de trompeta aka The Last Circus (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
Ho-lee cow.
This is one of the craziest film experiences I've had in some time. A fairly tongue-in-cheek allegory of extremes in Franco's Spain, it's told through the story of a twisted love triangle between a sad clown, a happy clown, and a beautiful trapeze artist that is at once completely absorbing, engrossing. The film just flies by.
It reminds me a bit of The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, too, in that it represents these extremes with its production. In the real sense of the word, this film completely absurd. Every frame is loaded with color and movement, the darkest humor, and (sometimes goofy) extravagant violence. It is that rare, spot-on blend of eye-rolling pulp and art-house spectacle. And it's held all together with a clear sincerity. The ideas and inspirations behind the film are strong. Performances are great, the cinematography is a marvel. Even without its commentary, The Last Circus is an unbelievable work.
However, it does suffer at times from some conspicuous CGI, but for me at least, it was easy to forgive.
Couldn't agree more and can't describe better than above...only I can say it's a totally unpredictable, magnificent mayhem of a love triangle that's a must see for everyone.

Thanks a lot for the rec, Fortu :)

>>: A-

Last edited by roshiq; 12-09-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:30 AM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Balada triste de trompeta aka The Last Circus (2010)

Couldn't agree more and can't describe better than above...only I can say it's a totally unpredictable, magnificent mayhem of a love triangle that's a must see for everyone.

Thanks a lot for the rec, Fortu :)

Awesome! Glad you liked it. And I think "magnificent mayhem" is a great way to describe the movie.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Misanthrope

Had The Last Circus sitting my computer for about a year now better bump it up the list of shit to watch.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:21 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
Had The Last Circus sitting my computer for about a year now better bump it up the list of shit to watch.
Definitely, man. Hope you dig it.

----

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia (2009)

It's taken me forever to get around to this one. Honestly, I'm not sure how I felt about it. I mean, it's certainly fascinating, but that's really all it is. And I feel like when you're making a documentary, especially one so invasive, it really should be more than that.

Last edited by fortunato; 12-09-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:17 PM
For Vendetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
Balada triste de trompeta (The Last Circus) (2010)

Ho-lee cow.
This is one of the craziest film experiences I've had in some time. A fairly tongue-in-cheek allegory of extremes in Franco's Spain, it's told through the story of a twisted love triangle between a sad clown, a happy clown, and a beautiful trapeze artist that is at once completely absorbing, engrossing. The film just flies by.
It reminds me a bit of The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, too
Quote:

Sold. My curiosity had been definitely peaked by J's rec, now Rosh has driven it up even more. Let me see if I can hunt this one down ASAP. Thanks, guys.

Quote:
We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011)

For me it was one of the most anticipated films of 2011. And it amazingly exceeds my expectations.

Overall, this is an arty psychological horror film focusing an unflinching battle of wills & dominance between a petrified mother and her sociopath son.

>>: A
Good to hear. The trailer promised a lot and the film does not disappoint. Another one to add to my must-watches soon. Thanks, Rosh.

-------------------

Edgy little suspense thriller which is a pretty decent entertainer. The premise has been done before but the leads (particularly Amber Heard's performance) add a bit of freshness to the proceedings. There are a few instances in the film where you will roll your eyes (expected since the lead actor is a gorgeous blonde), but that can be easily overlooked as minor flaws to the narrative.

Was looking forward to this ever since I caught the trailer. And the film does not disappoint at all. Slightly novel premise of mercenaries on the run after committing a daring robbery who find themselves pitted against a lone, battle-tough and half-crazed Vietnam war vet. Even if both sides are bad enough, you will find yourself rooting for the vet more than once. Reminded me of Rambo meets Wolf Creek but it's nowhere near the standards of those films. But still, where Battleground scores is a bit of novelty in the storyline, some solid cinematography and some nice kills. All in all, a film which does not disappoint.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Misanthrope

Battleground looks great. Going to check it out tonight!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Sold. My curiosity had been definitely peaked by J's rec, now Rosh has driven it up even more. Let me see if I can hunt this one down ASAP. Thanks, guys.
No problem! Very keen to hear your thoughts, too.

Quote:
Good to hear. The trailer promised a lot and the film does not disappoint. Another one to add to my must-watches soon. Thanks, Rosh.
Excellent to hear a good review for this one. Can't wait to check it out.

----

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
(2009)

I like this film more every time I see it. Completely hypnotizing and often hilarious. Some fantastic performances, too. Highly recommended.

Last edited by fortunato; 12-09-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Misanthrope

I went into Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans with an open mind but just couldn't get into it. Maybe a re-watch is in order.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:18 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Christ View Post
I went into Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans with an open mind but just couldn't get into it. Maybe a re-watch is in order.
You should definitely give it a shot. I've found it's definitely a film that benefits from revisiting it. I've seen it a few times now and I like it more each time.

Not that they're very similar, but did you like Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant?