Old 09-02-2018, 03:34 PM
Banned

I can't wait to see the remake. I haven't seen the original, and that also looks brilliant
Old 09-05-2018, 03:08 PM
病気の

Quote:
Reviews from Venice so far have been mixed. It's being called artsy and pretentious by some, while others are praising its weirdness. But the general consensus is that it isn't scary enough.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:59 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadbeatAtDawn View Post
Quote:
Reviews from Venice so far have been mixed. It's being called artsy and pretentious by some, while others are praising its weirdness. But the general consensus is that it isn't scary enough.
It's kind of funny calling it pretentious... it's a "remake" of Suspiria... can it not be pretentious?

Well, you know, I don't get remaking this film in the first place. Why not make a beautiful film not called Suspiria? The title gets the film more attention, more investors and therefore, potentially more money and other projects for the film makers. Can't blame em.

Last edited by Sculpt; 10-31-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:53 PM
Evil Dead

I'm interested in seeing the remake, but I'll keep my expectations low enough.

I am, however, going to see the original in a couple weeks with Goblin playing the score live. Been looking forward to it for a while!

http://oaklandmetro.org/event/322940

Old 10-30-2018, 03:12 AM
Evil Dead

does this make more sense than the original?
Old 10-30-2018, 04:48 AM
Banned

what is there not to understand? A ballet school is being ran by witches and the head which is going around killing everyone in Pretty fucked up and awesome ways. I'm not sure what's not to understand about that. It does get a little slow-paced at times and perhaps even a little boring but I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:37 PM
病気の

Suspiria is first in the trilogy 'The Three Mothers' then comes Inferno and Mother of Tears Each movie has a different witch in it.

Quote:
Each film deals with one of the titular "Mothers", a triumvirate of ancient and evil witches whose powerful magic allows them to manipulate world events on a global scale.
In other words what morningriser said.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:49 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningriser View Post
what is there not to understand? A ballet school is being ran by witches and the head which is going around killing everyone in Pretty fucked up and awesome ways. I'm not sure what's not to understand about that. It does get a little slow-paced at times and perhaps even a little boring but I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
So the ostrich is doing the killings you say? But surely the ostrich dies first!
Old 10-31-2018, 01:26 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgetusk View Post
So the ostrich is doing the killings you say? But surely the ostrich dies first!
The ostrich kills the wombat. Then the ostrich breaks it's ankle and has to be put down.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:16 PM
The Original Copycat

No spoilers

Well... I sure watched it, and it sure was something. But it wasn’t Suspiria.

While it certainly had more to do with what you’d expect from a dance school run by witches, this remake/imagining/boot/whatever is largely forgettable aside from some decent acting and a few great sequences.

If it wasn’t called Suspiria, I might view it more positively. But, since it is, the comparisons to the original hamstring it almost immediately out of the gate. While it has its share of disturbing imagery, it comes across as kind of passionless and drab. Gone are Argento’s vibrant colors and dreamlike imagery, in favor of World War II grays and an overall subdued palette. There are some good sequences and body horror, but the original makes you feel like you were watching someone else’s nightmare, like there is something awful around every corner that makes you hold your breath, and that is nowhere to be found here.

Another big point against it, is the soundtrack. Yes, Thom Yorke is an extremely talented musician, and seems like a decent pick. But, like the visuals, the soundtrack pales in comparison to the original’s iconic score in every way. Radiohead is a good band, but Goblin is fucking Goblin.

Not the worst by any stretch, but I’d add it to the list of uninspired and completely unnecessary remakes. My criteria for judging a remake is simple, either update and expand on a classic’s ideas, or take a bad film’s premise and fix it via modern techniques and better filmmaking. This flick does neither.