Old 09-10-2004, 09:40 PM
Banned

My advice would be to read the Manga first. Words cannot describe how much better it is than the movie. And the whole last book is one of the best comic book-ish things I've ever read. And it actually explains what's doing it. Unfortunately, it only gives a vague theory as to why, but it's a lot better than the movie gives us.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Evil Dead

Proteus wrote:

>> Has anyone read Ito's Manga titles like GYO? are they any good?

Proteus — Ito is a manga genius. Scratch that, he's a comic genius, manga, U.S., whatever.

I haven't seen the Uzumaki film, but I have seen a pair of the Tomie movies and the manga is lightyears better than the movies.

Uzumkai is his best manga available in English and is probably the best horror comic ever in any language. It's abolsutley amazing.

Tomie is, I think his second best. GYO is my least favorite work if his, but it's still very good.

I whole-heartedly recommend reading his stuff. You can order them online if your local comics shop doesn't have it.

Sam

New horror comics each month | Vols. 1 & 2 on sale now - just $15 each.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:52 PM
Undead

Thanks for the low down and I gotta agree the Tomie series of movies that is are really lack luster mind you I hear the last on part 5!!!! Forbidden fruit is the best 3 another face had a couple of neat/bizzare fx but that could save it.
So GYO is the weaker of the Three gotta remember that would amazon or chapters carry those my comic shops retarded and doesn't know a thing about comics/Mangas go figure lol
Oh any idea where I can get some imagies from the mangas?

Thanks again
Old 09-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Evil Dead

Hey Proteus - Yeah, I read somewhere (maybe Rue Morgue) that the Tomie movies got a little bit better at the end of the series.

As far as Ito manga, Amazon will definitely have all three series. Chapters might. I don't remember seeing a huge comics section at the last Chapters I was in (in Victoria, BC), but I'd guess it's different at each store.

As far as images from the mangas, I'm not really sure. I think the publishers' websites would be the best place to start.

Tomie - http://www.comicsone.com
Uzumaki/GYO - http://www.viz.com

Good luck and happy reading!

Sam

Old 09-12-2004, 08:38 AM
Undead

Again thanks for the low down I appreciate it!

Proteus
Old 09-12-2004, 09:51 AM
Evil Dead

No problem! Happy to help out.

Sam

Old 09-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Evil Dead

Uzumaki, if you liked 'House'....

I wasn't sure what to expect before watching Uzumaki this morning, I was thinking another Ringu or Ju-on clone, but this was far from those. A wild and very original movie, it reminded me of Hausu more than anything, it was a real knockout. It also reminded me of another bizarre Japanese horror film called Noroi, which is well worth seeking out if you are looking for something different. Uzumaki had a strong horror element but was delirious and dream like, in both presentation and content. We need more American movies with this sense of daring and experimentalism. Don't go watching this for something that makes a whole lot of sense, the plot has a more dream logic than conventional narrative. On the strength of this movie I have added "Long Dream" to my queue, from the same director.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:09 PM
Little Boo

Last edited by nursecaligari; 05-07-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:22 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
I wasn't sure what to expect before watching Uzumaki this morning, I was thinking another Ringu or Ju-on clone, but this was far from those. A wild and very original movie, it reminded me of Hausu more than anything, it was a real knockout. It also reminded me of another bizarre Japanese horror film called Noroi, which is well worth seeking out if you are looking for something different. Uzumaki had a strong horror element but was delirious and dream like, in both presentation and content. We need more American movies with this sense of daring and experimentalism. Don't go watching this for something that makes a whole lot of sense, the plot has a more dream logic than conventional narrative. On the strength of this movie I have added "Long Dream" to my queue, from the same director.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursecaligari View Post
I absolutely loved the Uzumaki manga by Junji Ito. It is by far one of his greatest stories. I was aching to love the film, but sadly I was disappointed. Maybe his works don't translate well to film? I also found myself disappointed by nearly every Tomie movie. I highly recommend reading the manga before introducing yourself to the movie.
I watched this a couple nights ago and thought it was pretty interesting. I like surreal stuff, and enjoyed a lot of the visuals. However, I was pretty tired when I watched it and kept falling asleep, so I think that also means it was paced a bit too slow, and also wasn't all that scary. Definitely worth a watch. I haven't read the manga.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:42 PM
Living Dead

I'll check it out.

Thought you were talking about Naruto for a second!