Old 04-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Evil Dead

The House of the Devil (2009)

Having heard only good things about this movie from critics and fans, I had to check it out. I gotta say, it certainly didn't disappoint me! The House of the Devil is essentially an 80's movie that was released in 2009. It has all the zoom shots, freeze frames, occult themes, and blood that you'd expect from one while not succumbing to the cheap jump scares and bad CGI that's present in many of today's horror films. The movie is about a college student who takes a babysitting job during a lunar eclipse. However, instead of taking care of children, she has to take care of this mysterious old woman who never leaves her room. The dark house, her employers' odd behavior, and this strange woman upstairs adds a layer of mystery to the film, but that mystery can only go on so long until it becomes boring. The slow middle act is only a distraction for what is to come, however, and the film takes a complete 180 into its third act and becomes a bloody, scary, and intense film that kept me gripping my seat for the final 30 minutes. It's on Netflix if you're interested.

9/10
Old 04-03-2015, 11:09 AM
Evil Dead

Offspring (2009)..5/10
Old 04-03-2015, 03:21 PM
Banned

My Demon Lover -- 6.5/10

We All Have Our Demons -- 7/10
Old 04-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Evil Dead

Today I watched The Nun. It reminded me of the Ring 2 but better in every way. It even had some good gore and a nun thst splashed about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raegan View Post
house of the devil was major let down Zzzzzzzzzz
It was more concerned with 70s worship than storytelling.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:57 PM
Evil Dead

The Pyramid (2014)

Before watching this movie, I set my expectations at non-existent for The Pyramid, a movie that has been claimed as one of the worst movies of the 2014 by some critics, and I can confirm that that statement is true. This film is a compilation of everything that could go wrong in a horror movie while still trying to convince the audience that it's not a parody. The Pyramid could almost be an experiment to see how many cliches they could put into a film, and that reason alone makes this movie an enjoyable exercise in bad taste. For starters, it has the exact same plot as The Tunnel, a vastly superior and terrifying Aussie found footage flick. In that movie, a documentary crew explores the abandoned Sydney train tunnels as they investigate a government cover-up until they become lost and realize something else is lurking in the tunnels. The only difference between The Tunnel and The Pyramid is the fact that it takes place in a pyramid in Egypt. This movie is also half-found footage and half-traditional. What I mean by this is: you'll see an entire scene from the point of view of their cameras, and then in the next scene, we see a scene shot like a normal movie. It's like this movie tried to shoehorn in some found footage just to include another overused horror trope. Along with the inconsistent cinematography, you'll find one of the most annoying groups of people you could ever encounter in a film. The "protagonist", if I can ever call her that, looks like she's fresh off the set of Real Housewives while another character screams "We need to find a way out!" in between every single line of dialogue. I don't think I even need to mention that the "villain" could get the award for Worst Movie Monster. It's almost amazing and certainly entertaining seeing how many things can go wrong with this movie. Just sit back, have some friends over, and laugh at this trashy, ironically entertaining atrocity. The Pyramid is ultimately a misguided and fun monstrosity of a horror film.

2/10
Old 04-03-2015, 07:42 PM
Evil Dead

Today I watched Bloodmoon in honor of the blood moon. It was pretty good despite some stupid characters and the decisions they made. I would recommend tis to most fans of stalkers and slashes.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:52 PM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
The Pyramid (2014)

For starters, it has the exact same plot as The Tunnel.
I don't think a tv-crew in less than 100 years old tunnels is the same as archeologists in an ancient underground pyramid.
But that's just me.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon View Post
I don't think a tv-crew in less than 100 years old tunnels is the same as archeologists in an ancient underground pyramid.
But that's just me.
I guess you missed the part where I pointed that out.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:26 PM
Evil Dead

My Friday night viewing:

Interstellar

10/10

I thought it was amazing; the acting and visual effects were spot on!!

Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies

10/10

I watched this in the theater and I had to view it again! I don't care what anyone says, the Hobbit and the LOTR movies will always be my all time favorites

2/10

This one was pretty bad; had a hard time watching it and it lacked a lot of everything to me. The only thing I liked was the location.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:19 PM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
I guess you missed the part where I pointed that out.
Nope. The only similarity I see is that there's a group of people trapped in underground place.

The Tunnel
Tv-crew trying to do a report.
Downtown Sidney, a big city in Australia.
Underground tunnels from the second world war.
One mysterious creature

The Pyramid
Archealogical expedition
Out in the desert, in Egypt, during a revolution
Underground building over thousands of years old.
Several creatures, all explained.

Not sure of this one but I think The Tunnel is a mix of found footage and tv footage while The Pyramid has scenes filmed in a regular way.

Tags
movie