Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies

Old 02-07-2019, 04:49 AM
Little Boo

Non-supernatural, non-slasher, non-gore focused scary movies

Hey guys, I LOVE scary movies but am very limited in which I watch by various factors. I can't stand supernatural movies since I'm very religious and it freaks me the heck out, I also hate slashers and gore focused horrors/thrillers since it's feels like (to me) it's all about the kills, the suffering, the gore etc with very illogical and stupid characters. I'm very empathetic so I find very hard to watch slashers (I'm not saying anything about anyone else, I just personally put myself in others situation and don't like watching actual harsh suffering and brutality, it makes me very emotional). I love something that's a mystery or has a good twist that works, something that's more about tension and atmosphere, with relatable characters etc.

I like being scared, not disgusted or grossed out. Now I understand completely that that's basically the definition of "horror", it shouldn't be pleasant, or chill, it's all about that anything can happen, and shock gore or disturbing/brutal themes can be scary, I get that, but it's not really for me.

Here's some movies that I love:
- 10 Cloverfield Lane
- A Quiet Place
- Signs
- Jurassic Park (the original)
- Coherence

- Super 8/Stranger Thing series (it's like 95% focused on the kids and 5% focused on the monster(s), which sucks, but still loved them)

Movies that I liked:
- The Visit
- The Village (kinda, I felt like it could have been much, much better)
- Split (I just feel really bad watching bad shit happen to young girls)
- Panic Room (was a bit meh, but I enjoyed it)
- I Am Legend
- The Invitation (wasn't a fan of the "cult" themes, but other than that I enjoyed it)
- Alien (I know it's basically a space slasher, but I don't know, it's one of the first "scary" movies I watched, and the effects and stuff were not that good, plus it felt more focused on the terrifying atmosphere than the kills, and that's why I can't stand something like AvP 2: Requiem)

I guess basically monster/mystery/psychological is what I like. I tried watching The Silence of the Lambs but I absolutely cannot stomach cannibalism, it literally makes me throw up, even the mention of it. I'm weak I know, but it disgusts me. It's a shame cause I heard that it's one of the greats and exactly what I was looking for.

I know this will be extremely hard since I've automatically eliminated like 99% of the horror/thriller genre, but if anyone could suggest something I could check out, it would be greatly appreciated. :) <3

Last edited by Riseaus; 02-07-2019 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:41 AM
ventricle

Sure, there's lots of general horror films that probably fit your description. Although it does depend on what you mean by 'supernatural that you can't stand'. Obvious question to ask you is, since you listed 4 M Night Shyamalan films, did you like, were you ok with, The Sixth Sense, which was supernatural? Maybe you can elaborate a little.

Were you ok with Psycho (1960), The Exorcist, Halloween (1978)?

But I think I know what you're talking about in general, I'll stay away from ghost/demon/slasher/gore/etc films. Sounds like you go for thrillers and sci-fi that have some horror elements, right?

Basically non-supernatural/ghost/demon:

Newer:
Chronicle (2012)
Train to Busan
Hush (more Hitchcockian thriller, has stalker-killer, but not really slasher)
The Prestige
Gone Girl (2014)
Ex Machina (2014)
Se7en
Prometheus
The Thing 2011
The Arrival
The Cube 1997
Ravenous

70s-80s:
The Thing 1982
The Fly 1987
Aliens
Predator
Terminator
Scanners
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1979

Pre-70s:
The Stranger (1946)
Thing From Another World
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956
The Invisible Man
King Kong
Night of the Living Dead 1968
Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 1931

I'd recommend 'John Dies at the End', thought it was clever, twists, funny, though there are some supernatural themes and occasional silly gore.

Last edited by Sculpt; 02-07-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:21 PM
Little Boo

Wow Sculpt, you are awesome! Thank you so much for your reply, I'm so happy to have some more movies to check out!

To clarify what you were asking about, I have not seen The Six Sense because it's supernatural, basically anything supernatural turns me off, I don't really have a line where I would or wouldn't watch depending on severity of supernatural, I just stay away from it all, just my own personal preference. The reason I liked the other movies was cause they were not supernatural at all, like my friend saw The Village before me and told me that its not supernatural even though it seemed like it (or maybe sci-fi, creatures in the forest), the ending to Split I guess was either supernatural or sci-fi depending on your view, The Visit has nothing supernatural also, just creepy old people.

I also haven't seen Psycho (1960) besides clips of the "famous" shower scene lol. Haven't seen the Exorcist either since it's supernatural right? When I'm going to watch a movie I normally just type up the name in google and check the description, and if it says "supernatural" anywhere in there I just stay away, and the Exorcist description definitely makes me keep away haha.

I've seen the original Halloween since a friend showed me it, I was like "sigh, I'm gonna hate this aren't I? Since it's basically what created the slasher subgenre of horror..." but I actually didn't mind it too much, the kills were not graphic and it felt focused more on the crazy story of Michael Myers and the stalking/tension building rather than the focus on the kills themselves, although it definitely felt like a slasher for the amount of people died. Also why do they always have to kill the dog? :(

About a few of the suggestions you made, I've seen Gone Girl, The Arrival and the Terminator movies, none of them are scary at all to me, but they are still awesome movies! I watched Hush but didn't really enjoy it. How gory are The Thing movies?

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I'm looking forward to checking some of them out. :)

Last edited by Riseaus; 02-07-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:27 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseaus View Post
Wow Sculpt, you are awesome! Thank you so much for your reply, I'm so happy to have some more movies to check out!

To clarify what you were asking about, I have not seen The Six Sense because it's supernatural, basically anything supernatural turns me off, I don't really have a line where I would or wouldn't watch depending on severity of supernatural, I just stay away from it all, just my own personal preference. The reason I liked the other movies was cause they were not supernatural at all, like my friend saw The Village before me and told me that its not supernatural even though it seemed like it (or maybe sci-fi, creatures in the forest), the ending to Split I guess was either supernatural or sci-fi depending on your view, The Visit has nothing supernatural also, just creepy old people.

I also haven't seen Psycho (1960) besides clips of the "famous" shower scene lol. Haven't seen the Exorcist either since it's supernatural right? When I'm going to watch a movie I normally just type up the name in google and check the description, and if it says "supernatural" anywhere in there I just stay away, and the Exorcist description definitely makes me keep away haha.

I've seen the original Halloween since a friend showed me it, I was like "sigh, I'm gonna hate this aren't I? Since it's basically what created the slasher subgenre of horror..." but I actually didn't mind it too much, the kills were not graphic and it felt focused more on the crazy story of Michael Myers and the stalking/tension building rather than the focus on the kills themselves, although it definitely felt like a slasher for the amount of people died. Also why do they always have to kill the dog? :(

About a few of the suggestions you made, I've seen Gone Girl, The Arrival and the Terminator movies, none of them are scary at all to me, but they are still awesome movies! I watched Hush but didn't really enjoy it. How gory are The Thing movies?

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I'm looking forward to checking some of them out. :)
All of The Thing films are sci-fi, of course. The Thing 82 is great, has excellent practical creature effects (no CGI) required for the story, I wouldn't say it's gory anymore than a child birth, you know. The 2011 is not as good, not really scary, but if you like the first two, you'd like it.

For scary, I'll recommend Vacancy, and it's not supernatural nor gory. Jaws is pretty scary, but you've probably seen it. Psycho is scary, and it's a Hitchcock thriller with twists, it's not really a slasher or gory.

Scary without supernatural or slasher is tough. I doubt you'll find many on this list very scary (maybe Night of the Living Dead), but they are still very good.

Dog Soldiers, The Howling (both werewolves); The Descent (2005) and Get Out (2017) are regarded as scary, good and not supernatural/slasher. Howling was the scariest, has one brief nude scene.

The Exorcist is usually ranked the scariest film all-time. It's about a priest who helps save a girl who is possessed. So it's generally 'supernatural'.

A Nightmare on Elm St is pretty scary. It's about a murderer who was killed by a group of parents, he then is able to attack their children when they dream.

Hope to hear what you think of the films.

Last edited by Sculpt; 02-07-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:36 AM
Evil Dead

I can't imagine being that horror-disabled. :)

And surely Halloween is supernatural. He picks one guy up with one hand! He disappears at the end after being shot SIX TIMES!

How about REPULSION?

Or this thread may be of use.

http://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68798

Last edited by fudgetusk; 02-08-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:58 PM
Little Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
All of The Thing films are sci-fi, of course. The Thing 82 is great, has excellent practical creature effects (no CGI) required for the story, I wouldn't say it's gory anymore than a child birth, you know. The 2011 is not as good, not really scary, but if you like the first two, you'd like it.

For scary, I'll recommend Vacancy, and it's not supernatural nor gory. Jaws is pretty scary, but you've probably seen it. Psycho is scary, and it's a Hitchcock thriller with twists, it's not really a slasher or gory.

Scary without supernatural or slasher is tough. I doubt you'll find many on this list very scary (maybe Night of the Living Dead), but they are still very good.

Dog Soldiers, The Howling (both werewolves); The Descent (2005) and Get Out (2017) are regarded as scary, good and not supernatural/slasher. Howling was the scariest, has one brief nude scene.

The Exorcist is usually ranked the scariest film all-time. It's about a priest who helps save a girl who is possessed. So it's generally 'supernatural'.

A Nightmare on Elm St is pretty scary. It's about a murderer who was killed by a group of parents, he then is able to attack their children when they dream.

Hope to hear what you think of the films.
Thanks again Sculpt, I watched The Fly, Se7en, Chronicle and some of The Thing yesterday. The Fly was not scary to me at all, just very gross. Se7en was a good movie, not scary but I enjoyed it. Chronicle again, wasn't scary, but it was awesome, I loved it, just bought it on blu-ray, all thanks to your suggestion! I watched The Thing up until the dogs in the cage section, but I couldn't keep going, I'm a HUGE dog lover so seeing any dogs suffering just puts me right off, John Carpenter seems to love using dogs in his movies... I've got a bunch more of your suggestions to check out that i'm looking forward to!

About some of the other suggestions, yeah I'm not a fan of werewolves since they to me, are supernatural too. Descent I heard is super gory with cannibal humanoid monster things, Exorcist and Nightmare on Elm street also really put me off from the supernatural themes.

Thanks again though for all your suggestions, you have gone above and beyond in suggestions than what I thought anyone would.

@fudgetusk

Yeah, it sucks haha. If my beliefs and childhood weren't so strict I'd have much more to watch and not have to be so picky, but everyone's different, I'm good with my beliefs and views, even though they stop me from exploring more things.

You've got a good point about Halloween, I don't really care though about that movie since I hate slashers lol, I only watched it because a friend really wanted to and convinced me since it's not a gore fest and he said it's not supernatural. But you do make some good points.

I'll have to check out REPULSION, thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited by Riseaus; 02-08-2019 at 07:00 PM.