Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Synthetic Flesh

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)

I have had this film sitting in the DVD collection, but had not watched it until yesterday. (I only recall it being on TV once in Australia - more than 20 years ago, and I missed it, and it was not available on VHS here as far as I am aware).

I must admit, Hammer Frankensteins are not my favourite films (I much prefer their vampire films) but this movie was brilliant.

Baron Frankenstein was presented as evil to the core, and Cushing played this superbly.

For example, he takes an insane doctor from an asylum - this doctor's wife finds out and Frankenstein convinces her that he has saved her husband from his insanity (implying he has done this out of altruism and for her benefit). She is very grateful, but as soon as she is gone he plots to escape her, thereby thwarting her possible reunion with her husband (who it had been claimed earlier in the movie could not be cured). This I felt was an excellent display of his sociopathy. There are many others.

There is a real "dark side" to this movie that I don't think the previous movies in this series portrayed near as well.

The movie was fast paced and well presented. Sure, it bears little resemblance to Shelley's novel, but I don't think it intended to be a representation of that work.

What do other people think of this installment in the Hammer Frankenstein series?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:15 AM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

I actually haven't seen this one in many years, so I don't remember it too well! But I love the title. I'll watch anything of Hammer.

Friend....gooooood!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Synthetic Flesh

Yes it is a great title. And very apt, given that Frankenstein is portrayed as such an evil character in this movie.

The DVD release is quite bare-bones (there is a trailer and the movie) but the picture quality is very good. Well worth taking another look at.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Evil Puppy

I loved it, one of my favorite classic horrors and a real treat to watch from the opening scene until the great ending.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Evil Dead

After reading this I it busted out from my Hammer Collection and watched it again for the first time in years.

Great performance from Cushing, I mean truly great. He's commanding and intense and maniacal. When he's in motion it's dramatic and when he's still it's nearly reptilian.

The film is a real treat for cinema fans
Old 03-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Scares Little Kids

One of my favs, I have the Japanese laserdisc. The rape scene is brutal and I heard or read an interview with Veronica Carlson about what a hard time Cushing had with it. He played it maliciously, but apparently was pretty uncomfortable with having to be rough with VC.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Synthetic Flesh

Yeah I must say that scene was a bit of a shock to see in a Hammer film of that vintage.

Do you know if the Japanese laserdisc shows more of that scene than the current DVD release? I heard that the DVD restored that scene, but the Japanese did like a little "extra" in their Hammers (eg Horror of Dracula)
Old 03-31-2007, 02:58 PM
Scares Little Kids

I'm not sure if the LD has a special cut or not, Ill try and find out.