Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-03-2009, 02:08 AM
Evil Dead

Are video games art?

While that is the title of this article it really only touches on that a little bit but does discuss a lot of social and cultural distinctions about the medium.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v31/n01/lanc01_.html

Thoughts?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Evil Puppy

I think games can be art... Ebert's views are interesting though, as are Clive Barker's.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...NTARY/70721001

Last edited by Despare; 01-03-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Evil Dead

Ebert is an idiot. To say movies are art and video games arnt is foolish. Video games tell a story have a beginning middle and end, the only thing is games are better because the alien invasion the zombie outbreak being the action hero is YOU. I love watching movies but video games you get to see it first hand you're there...in a way.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Scares Little Kids

I agree, Ebert is an idiot. Video games of course fall in the realm of art, they are composed aren't they? They are a puzzle that needs to be crafted and put together, just like a movie or a play.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:12 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfpastundead View Post
I agree, Ebert is an idiot. Video games of course fall in the realm of art, they are composed aren't they? They are a puzzle that needs to be crafted and put together, just like a movie or a play.
Personally I think videogames are art on multiple levels, but both people in that little debate make some valid points. I think Ebert just doesn't know enough about the medium to judge it. Besides, nobody can really assess if something is or isn't art.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:58 AM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
Personally I think videogames are art on multiple levels, but both people in that little debate make some valid points. I think Ebert just doesn't know enough about the medium to judge it. Besides, nobody can really assess if something is or isn't art.
I agree, a lot of the times it is hard to judge if something falls under the art category. But if they can have toilets in an art museum, but don't think video games are art, where do you draw the line. Ebert's point of view from what I heard is that he thinks because video games are interactive, they no longer are considered art. But look who he is, a critic. He likes movies but lacks the talent to make them. I therefore find his oppinion invalid.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:59 AM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfpastundead View Post
I agree, a lot of the times it is hard to judge if something falls under the art category. But if they can have toilets in an art museum, but don't think video games are art, where do you draw the line. Ebert's point of view from what I heard is that he thinks because video games are interactive, they no longer are considered art. But look who he is, a critic. He likes movies but lacks the talent to make them. I therefore find his opinion invalid.
A: I fully believe you can criticize anything without having the talent to make it. Saying that is like saying you have to be able to make a video game before you know if you like one or not and are allowed to voice your opinion on it.

B: Ebert did make a movie and it was... interesting. Go rent Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Scares Little Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
A: I fully believe you can criticize anything without having the talent to make it. Saying that is like saying you have to be able to make a video game before you know if you like one or not and are allowed to voice your opinion on it.

B: Ebert did make a movie and it was... interesting. Go rent Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.
Let's not step around the point of this thread, it isn't about if someone can criticize something they can't do themselves. Anyone can do that, your right, doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. I know very little about sports, but I can rattle off enough to make someone believe I know what I am talking about. The question is whether Roger Ebert has the right to call something art or not art. And he wrote Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, so by that he does have some sort of artistic talent, I think he should stick up for art.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Misfit

Send a message via AIM to Posher778 Send a message via MSN to Posher778 Send a message via Yahoo to Posher778
Video games are just as much art as film. The end.

If you suggest that some video games are just mindless gorefests, I encourage you to take a look at some gorefest films. There is no such thing as an absolute, but they are both art nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
oh posher, I love you.

well as much as a girl can love a squirrely little girly man I suppose.

None of this is real