Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-14-2015, 06:41 AM
Evil Dead

The Fourth Kind 9/(10
Old 11-14-2015, 03:07 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidleysDemise View Post
The Visit

Like most of Shyamalan's films: lame.
Was it entertaining, or just plain lame?

Old 11-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Evil Dead

Amalthea inspired me to watch The Fourth Kind, so I did.

The Fourth Kind (2009)

It's always a bit fun when a found footage movie affirms to be real footage and sticks with that claim throughout the film. You get to play along with the filmmakers and hopefully get a satisfying horror flick out of it. Movies like Paranormal Activity and The Blair Witch Project did this well, but some movies are a bit too ardent about their authenticity and come off as silly. The Fourth Kind fits somewhere in the ladder category. In The Fourth Kind, the town of Nome, Alaska is plagued by mysterious disappearances, murders and suicides in the early 2000's. A psychologist, Abbey Taylor, head hypnosis sessions with various patients whose stories seem to have distinct similarities, and Abbey realizes that she might be tormented by the same thing that afflicts her patients. The film mostly mixes found footage with dramatized versions of the footage, sometimes showing the "real" and dramatized portions side-by-side. For the most part, it's just aggravating. You'll hear the same dialog from two different actors at the same time on occasion, which begs the question why they didn't either go all-in with the found footage. The found footage scenes are the most intense parts of the films. Not necessarily scary, but they are visceral enough to be memorable. The dramatized scenes are melodramatic and dull. Surprisingly, the movie would have been much better if it was completely found footage. The Fourth Kind has some effective stretches here and there, but it's mostly a half-baked affair.

5/10

Last edited by horcrux2007; 11-14-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Horror > Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post

The Fourth Kind has some effective stretches here and there, but it's mostly a half-baked affair.

5/10
Perfect summation for my feelings about it. It could have been pretty great but the filmmakers needed to figure what the hell kind of movie they wanted to make and stick to it. It was kind of all over the place at moments, but managed some eerie and effective atmosphere. Sadly, not enough of it.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:34 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post

The Fourth Kind (2009)

It's always a bit fun when a found footage movie affirms to be real footage and sticks with that claim throughout the film. You get to play along with the filmmakers and hopefully get a satisfying horror flick out of it. Movies like Paranormal Activity and The Blair Witch Project did this well, but some movies are a bit too ardent about their authenticity and come off as silly. The Fourth Kind fits somewhere in the ladder category. In The Fourth Kind, the town of Nome, Alaska is plagued by mysterious disappearances, murders and suicides in the early 2000's. A psychologist, Abbey Taylor, head hypnosis sessions with various patients whose stories seem to have distinct similarities, and Abbey realizes that she might be tormented by the same thing that afflicts her patients. The film mostly mixes found footage with dramatized versions of the footage, sometimes showing the "real" and dramatized portions side-by-side. For the most part, it's just aggravating. You'll hear the same dialog from two different actors at the same time on occasion, which begs the question why they didn't either go all-in with the found footage. The found footage scenes are the most intense parts of the films. Not necessarily scary, but they are visceral enough to be memorable. The dramatized scenes are melodramatic and dull. Surprisingly, the movie would have been much better if it was completely found footage. The Fourth Kind has some effective stretches here and there, but it's mostly a half-baked affair.

5/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo'd View Post
Perfect summation for my feelings about it. It could have been pretty great but the filmmakers needed to figure what the hell kind of movie they wanted to make and stick to it. It was kind of all over the place at moments, but managed some eerie and effective atmosphere. Sadly, not enough of it.
Agreed. And this was mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
The Fourth Kind 2009

5/10

"Actual footage" together with dramatisation was an interesting concept. Worked on some levels. Was expecting much more from the story, or something more daring. Instead I found it rather simple and formulaic. The "UFO crowd" would likely find it old and shallow. Horror fans today would likely find it old hat and cliche. Pacing and acting were fine.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:40 PM
Horror > Everything

Yeah, 5 out of ten, all around. A perfectly average film. Oh well, Amalthea liked it, so it has an audience.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:53 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo'd View Post
Yeah, 5 out of ten, all around. A perfectly average film. Oh well, Amalthea liked it, so it has an audience.
It got all 4 of us to audience it. Good marketing.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:56 PM
Horror > Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
It got all 4 of us to audience it. Good marketing.
Wait, I think I work with a guy who audienced it. We're five strong now.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:23 AM
Evil Sweat

Ant-Man (2015)
C+
Has its moments but overal it was just another superhero movie.
The fighting scenes are starting to feel like the fighting in the old Batman series.
"Kapow! And it's getting boring. Or I'm getting old.

The Hallow (2015)
B/C
Could've been great.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:42 AM
Evil Dead

Final Destination 5 7/10

Tags
movie