Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Vintage Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Have you see the new House of Wax?
yes 5 45.45%
no 3 27.27%
meaning to (meant to) 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2005, 07:42 AM
darknessprevail

House of Wax

Does anyone have the ORIGINAL CASE to House of Wax. I think the film was made in 1932? If not what year? Thanks.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:50 PM
Can you dig it ?

CK
Old 07-11-2005, 08:58 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally posted by MisterSadistro
CK
Mystery of the Wax Museum was in 1932. It was remade in '53 as House of Wax:)

And Im not sure that I understand your question Darkness, but you can get a great double feature DVD that has both the '32 and '53 movies. I rented it awhile back and watched both...very similar. IMO, the '53 version is a bit better.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Return
Mystery of the Wax Museum was in 1932. It was remade in '53 as House of Wax:)

And Im not sure that I understand your question Darkness, but you can get a great double feature DVD that has both the '32 and '53 movies. I rented it awhile back and watched both...very similar. IMO, the '53 version is a bit better.
Actually, I don't think House of Wax ('53) was a remake of Mystery of the Wax Museum ('32). Different movies, I think, just similar themes.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:50 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by alkytrio666
Actually, I don't think House of Wax ('53) was a remake of Mystery of the Wax Museum ('32). Different movies, I think, just similar themes.
Have you seen both of them? Alot of stuff is nearly identical.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:27 AM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Return
Have you seen both of them? Alot of stuff is nearly identical.
Yah I guess you're right. I just always thought of them as seperate films. Maybe I was just catagorizing them with their titles.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:18 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Quote:
Yah I guess you're right. I just always thought of them as seperate films. Maybe I was just catagorizing them with their titles.
I watched the back-to-back, so I guess it was easier to spot the similarities:)
Old 07-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Undead

Quote:

Both great films, though structurally each suffers from the same problem - the most exciting scene, the burning of the wax museum, takes place at the beginning of the films. It's an up-hill battle to keep the momentum going afterwards.

Most interesting to me are the differences in the films. MYSTERY was set in the present day (30's), while HOUSE was a period piece.

Lionel Atwill's assistant in MYSTERY was a drug addict. Price's assistant in HOUSE was an alcoholic.

Both of these changes suggest to me that Warner Brothers was trying to play it safe with HOUSE OF WAX. No drugs! And let's make it a period piece so it will be scary!

While the last ten minutes of the new HOUSE OF WAX was definitely interesting visually... I found it to be a dismal mistake otherwise. Price and Atwill are both spinning in their graves.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:23 AM
Evil Dead

I think the re-make turned out to be better than other modern re-makes like Dawn of the Dead and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, in my opinion.

Is it possible, by the way, that the beginning of the movie (teenagers on a road trip to a backwater town) could be some kind of "nod" to Tobe Hooper's Texas Chain Saw Massacre?
Old 08-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Undead

Quote:
Originally posted by no mulier
I think the re-make turned out to be better than other modern re-makes like Dawn of the Dead and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, in my opinion.

Is it possible, by the way, that the beginning of the movie (teenagers on a road trip to a backwater town) could be some kind of "nod" to Tobe Hooper's Texas Chain Saw Massacre?

God loves opinions, but the use of the word remake with HOUSE OF WAX is almost as pathetic a lie as their "reimagining". They ripped-off the title of an old classic... period.

And while I don't mean to offend, because you could be right in that it's a "nod" to TCM; it could also be a "nod" to EVIL DEAD, ALIEN DEAD, CABIN FEVER, WRONG TURN or a million other flicks. Or it could just as easily be lazy screenwriters coupled with a complete lack of originality.