Old 07-14-2017, 09:45 PM
Evil Dead

Can't remember if I mentioned The Thing before in this. It's eligible with the 1951 original, the 1982 remake and 2011 prequel. John Carpenter's 1982 remake is definitely the best and one of my favorite films of any genre, Horror or otherwise. My personal favorite of Carpenter's filmography as well, which is no small feat given his lengthly and mostly excellent body of work.

Also interesting to note Carpenter considers it part of his "Apocalypse Trilogy," which also includes Prince Of Darkness and In The Mouth Of Madness. In any event, The Thing is easily my favorite of these three.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Evil Dead

Annabelle: Creation will be the newest addition to The Conjuring series (with the original two movies as well as the first Annabelle). Early reviews have been very positive and it's being overwhelmingly agreed to be better than the first. I've enjoyed the series so far and look forward to seeing how this one stands up.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Evil Dead

I don't remember if I mentioned them before here, but the Warlock series was another I remembered. I never saw the third but recall liking the first two back in the day, been years since I last saw them. The titular villain is one of the more elegant Horror villains and it's a shame he was recasted for the third film.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:05 PM
Evil Dead

Bringing this back with it now being October and the Halloween/Horror season in full effect.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:56 PM
Evil Dead

Updated list:

Friday The 13th - The Final Chapter
Halloween - 1978 Original
A Nightmare On Elm Street - New Nightmare
Saw - Saw II
Scream - Original
Evil Dead - Evil Dead II
Phantasm - Phantasm II
Alien - Aliens
Predator - Predator 2
Hellraiser - Original
Child's Play - Original
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 2003 Remake
Final Destination - Original
Insidious - Chapter 3
The Conjuring - The Conjuring 2
The Purge - Anarchy
Paranormal Activity - Original
Hannibal Lecter - The Silence Of The Lambs
Puppet Master - Puppet Master 4
Maniac Cop - Maniac Cop 2
Romero's Living Dead - Day Of The Dead (1985)
Return Of The Living Dead - Part II
Poltergeist - Poltergeist II
Jaws - Original
Cube - Original
Tremors - Original
Leprechaun - Original
Blade - Blade II
Wishmaster - Original
Warlock - Undecided between either of the first two
Amityville - Only seen the original, remake and It's About Time
Resident Evil - Seen the first two, need to see the rest to make fair judgment
Old 12-12-2017, 11:05 PM
Evil Dead

I recall in an earlier post I mentioned Jurassic Park and if it counts as Horror. Seeing the trailer for the upcoming new film (Fallen Kingdom) it definitely looks far more Horror-oriented than the prior films. I recall one of the writers even said it's a Horror movie with dinosaurs and that's the vibe I get from the trailers.

In any case, the original film is easily the best by a massive margin. I feel the series declines considerably with each movie after the first, though I do think The Lost World has gotten better with age and despite it's faults is a pretty good movie.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Evil Dead

Insidious: The Last Key is out next weekend. I've enjoyed the series so far and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the third film, which ended up being my favorite. Let's see how this one stacks up.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:14 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Killer View Post
Updated list:

Friday The 13th - The Final Chapter
Halloween - 1978 Original
A Nightmare On Elm Street - New Nightmare
Saw - Saw II
Scream - Original
Evil Dead - Evil Dead II
Phantasm - Phantasm II
Alien - Aliens
Predator - Predator 2
Hellraiser - Original
Child's Play - Original
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 2003 Remake
Final Destination - Original
Insidious - Chapter 3
The Conjuring - The Conjuring 2
The Purge - Anarchy
Paranormal Activity - Original
Hannibal Lecter - The Silence Of The Lambs
Puppet Master - Puppet Master 4
Maniac Cop - Maniac Cop 2
Romero's Living Dead - Day Of The Dead (1985)
Return Of The Living Dead - Part II
Poltergeist - Poltergeist II
Jaws - Original
Cube - Original
Tremors - Original
Leprechaun - Original
Blade - Blade II
Wishmaster - Original
Warlock - Undecided between either of the first two
Amityville - Only seen the original, remake and It's About Time
Resident Evil - Seen the first two, need to see the rest to make fair judgment
Cool list! My list is almost the same as you. I might prefer Alien and Poltergeist, but loved Aliens as well and enjoyed Poltergeist 2.

I was curious about Predator 2. When I saw it (1990-91) on TV/cable it came off to me as a knock off, which doesnt make sense because it had twice the budget. Overall, I can't say that I even liked the film, which is odd for me because I was really impressed with the original, you know... I already liked the theme and all, it was up my alley. Many folks on Horror.com liked it. I wonder what I'm missing.

On Rottentomatoes it carries a Critics Rating of 28% (25 reviews) and 46% Audience Rating from 138,000 ratings. 46% isn't horrible in general, but considering it was an action film for fanboys (so to speak), adding 27 years of cult status, I would expect a higher rating based on that fanboy vote. But I wonder if the 46% is that bump up from a 28% rating?

Anyway, when I see it again, how should I appreciate it? What did you like about it? What are so many folks missing about it? Thanks!

Old 12-31-2017, 09:03 PM
Evil Dead

For me I found Predator 2 simply more entertaining than the original, which is also a film I find tremendously entertaining. But there's other aspects to it as well, such as the darker tone and mood, the city/urban setting, the particular Predator in it and the new Predator weaponry and tech was great. I like how we get more hints about the culture and history of the Predator species without overdoing it, something the more recent Alien films are unfortunately guilty of.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:44 PM
Evil Dead

The new Insidious was pretty good but Chapter 3 is still my favorite. This newest one might be my second favorite though after another watch or two. I've enjoyed the series since the beginning and am definitely down with a fifth movie.