Old 06-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Tonight belongs to HIM

The Doors of the 21st Century

The new lead singer is Ian Astbury (formally of "The Cult"), looks and sounds a bit like Morrison. I really want to see these guys in concert. Its Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger of the original Doors. They also do psychedelic shows and are composing a new album.

This is 100% Credible Site

Audio: http://raymanzarek.com/D21CAudio.html

Photo Gallery: http://raymanzarek.com/D21CPhotos.html

Also check out the Robby Krieger site, and TheDoors.Com for more related info. The Strange Days Tour will be kickass.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Tonight belongs to HIM

Old 06-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Can you dig it ?

It'll never be the same. It would be like Ramones without Joey, Scumfucs without GG (your new avatar- nice !), Misfits without Glen, etc. Besides, you'd think these guys would still have some money leftover from their hey days. These "reunion" tours are all the same- cash in on your legacy. It's even worse that they're using such a Morrison wannabe in his place. Densmore has the right idea by avoiding this. Kudos to him.
CK
Old 06-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Tonight belongs to HIM

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterSadistro
It'll never be the same. It would be like Ramones without Joey, Scumfucs without GG (your new avatar- nice !), Misfits without Glen, etc. Besides, you'd think these guys would still have some money leftover from their hey days. These "reunion" tours are all the same- cash in on your legacy. It's even worse that they're using such a Morrison wannabe in his place. Densmore has the right idea by avoiding this. Kudos to him.
CK
However Densmore did play drums for the Snoop Dog cover of Riders on the Storm live. Which is actually a decent song.

Of course it will never be the same..but look at ACDC, after Bonn Scott died, they got a new lead singer (Brian Johnson) and he can sing basically the exact same as Scott. It would be cool to here some new material IMO.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:59 PM
Can you dig it ?

AC/DC was still on top of their game at the time, HB, and the focus on their sound was/is Angus Young, not Bon Scott. The Doors focus has always been on Jim. Add to that it's been 33 years since their last album and the whole thing stinks of sellout. That's a huge difference than sitting in once in awhile in someone's band to play a cover occasionally. Read Densmore's 'Riders On the Storm' book. This isn't the first time Ray and Robbie wanted to do this. It's only the first time they'll likely get away with it. It's been in court on and off over the years about the name for one thing.
CK
Old 06-14-2005, 02:43 AM
Is Having a Baby!

What about Van Halen...... :(

No, I hate the doors and I hate Van Halen. but I would never say "The Doors focus has always been on Jim". Yes, Jim was the star. But Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger are fucking bad ass musician's. Morrison wouldn't have been anything without them, Jim was just a drunk trying too act like a poet :rolleyes:

With Bush's new retirement plan, I would cash out too. Who knows, it could be good. Save you're money because you'll be fucked if you make it too 60.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Deposable
What about Van Halen...... :(

thats who i was thinking about as i read the thread ..

i disagree about ACDC though ..
Bon Scott was very much the focus when he died .. angus was fun but not the focus ..

ACDC pulled off the impossible by finding a replacement with the same power (albiet subtle differences) and they did it quick and hit right away with a huge commercially successful album.

the doors isnt going to work because of the time factor ..
you cant pick up after leaving off 30 or more years later.
the origional fan base has let it rest. there is enough of a body of classic work to enjoy as it is.

another band that should have stopped (for artistic reasons) but suceeded commercially after a big change was Genesis after Gabriel left.
3 albums later Collins decided they were going to make pop records.

and pink floyd after Waters left ... ugh ,,, a hollow shell of a band .. like a stepford wife .. looks the same - but it lacks a soul.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:49 AM
No charge for awesomeness

Creedence Clearwater Revisited

(3000th post)