Old 01-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Waste Disposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
The Other Side

Definitely low-budget and definitely enjoyable. The ending is a little Scooby Doo and silly, but hats off to the director, writer, and actors for pulling it off. Definitely fun. Loved the concept as well. This is the kind of thing that real indie horror movies should be made off.

3.75-4/5.
is this the one where the guy comes back from the dead as a hell minion?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:53 PM
mostly ghostly?

Ken Russell's The Devils (1971)

This film is so many things. An irreverent, pointed hack-job of historical account (not unlike this year's Inglourious Basterds). A politically-charged drama. An horrific display of primal madness. But in essence it is a mind-blowing monolith of vicious, insane genius. Easily one of the most uncomfortable, disturbing films I've ever seen.
Frightening in its implications, it's sure to move even the most thick-skinned, thick-headed viewer as it locates, then prods, then mutilates the area in which religion, love, madness, corruption, and redemption converge. Intermittently gorgeous and repulsive, but always outrageous, I'd say this film is for everyone, and especially for those with a confused, opaque (or perhaps obscured) worldview. But not everyone would realize that, or even make it through.

The Devils is grotesque and blasphemous, even prurient in its execution, but exalted in its mission.

Last edited by fortunato; 01-03-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:34 PM
No, fuck YOU

"The other" 8/10

Very predictable yet very confusing.

Terrific performances from the entire cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
Comment from IMDB:

"For a movie I haven't seen in 10 or 20 years, and one that I disliked on its initial release, THE OTHER sure has stuck with me. It is a low-budget, low-key retelling of a psychological horror novel by actor-turned-writer Tom Tryon, and it is pretty darned faithful to its source material. The twins playing the murderous kid are terrific, and veteran thesp Uta Hagen is a standout as the grandma. It used to run on TV a lot. Now it is a "lost" classic. See it if you can. There is a cellar sequence, of which I will say no more other than that it is key to the whole plot, that is sure to scare the pants off even the most hardened horror film fan."
What the hell was this guy on about? Didn't notice that scene at all. :mad:

Ps. The scene where the russian woman is forcing the boy to say the name on the grave was sooooo "Turn of the screw".
Old 01-04-2010, 04:40 AM
Bad Natured

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
Ken Russell's The Devils (1971)

This film is so many things. An irreverent, pointed hack-job of historical account (not unlike this year's Inglourious Basterds). A politically-charged drama. An horrific display of primal madness. But in essence it is a mind-blowing monolith of vicious, insane genius. Easily one of the most uncomfortable, disturbing films I've ever seen.
Frightening in its implications, it's sure to move even the most thick-skinned, thick-headed viewer as it locates, then prods, then mutilates the area in which religion, love, madness, corruption, and redemption converge. Intermittently gorgeous and repulsive, but always outrageous, I'd say this film is for everyone, and especially for those with a confused, opaque (or perhaps obscured) worldview. But not everyone would realize that, or even make it through.

The Devils is grotesque and blasphemous, even prurient in its execution, but exalted in its mission.
Sounds awesome. Unfortunately it is not offerred by Netflix nor is it at the local library. i never/rarely rent. Is this one pretty obscure or would it be pretty easy to track down? Late.
d

Fate is my mistress, mother of the cruel abomination that is hope.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:34 AM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
Shaun of the Dead

The Ferrets like it...
Old 01-04-2010, 06:13 AM
Cranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho d View Post
Sounds awesome. Unfortunately it is not offerred by Netflix nor is it at the local library. i never/rarely rent. Is this one pretty obscure or would it be pretty easy to track down? Late.
d
Haha- I'm not surprized it's not offered at Netflix or your local library- it's pretty far out there.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 01-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

I loved this very stylished Brit thriller from the 60's by the guy who directed FRIGHT and STRAIGHT ON TILL MORNING (not to mention The Italian Job).

2 psychos home invade the penthouse of a couple having an affair and turn they life upside down - the dialogue is like a weird absurdist play which recalls the interaction of the droogs in A Clockwork Orange and the acid mad men of Killer's Moon...
Old 01-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

- the wizards of waverly place ... ugh
- the other boleyn girl - wonderful costumes - dull otherwise

- the full length - 'making of' feature on the Frighteners - directors cut.

i remember when the Pioneer Special Edition Laserdisc of this was going for a few hundred $$$

i picked up the DVD for $14.

one of the best making of docs ever.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
The Messenger (2009)

An incredibly powerful story of 2 military men assigned to the thankless job of notifying the next of kin of fallen soldiers. Amazing dialogue, ethical debates, and without a doubt some of the year's best performances (Woody Harrelson is already up for a Golden Globe for his role, and I wouldn't be surprised if he'll be up for the Oscar as well.).

Recommended to anyone looking for an intense, character-driven drama. Fantastic film.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:43 AM
For Vendetta

Went to see Avatar for the third time, with friends.