Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies

Old 06-11-2018, 07:38 AM
Evil Dead

from dusk til dawn

From dusk till dawn is a terrible movie. It's not really a vampire movie at all. The director isn't interested in vampires. He's interested in gunfire.

Have you seen Bordello of Blood? My reaction to that movie was "They've proved that they can make a terrible vampire movie for a fraction of what it cost Quentin Tarantino."

I admit that I liked From dusk till dawn III because of Sonia Braga.

That said, I liked Bride of Chucky (Jennifer Tilly), and I liked Sleepy Hollow, tho a friend of mine said it was "repetitious." Well, it made a promise in the ad, and it kept it. Heads rolled. I am a big Tim burton fan.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:17 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoneus1957 View Post
From dusk till dawn is a terrible movie. It's not really a vampire movie at all. The director isn't interested in vampires. He's interested in gunfire.

Have you seen Bordello of Blood? My reaction to that movie was "They've proved that they can make a terrible vampire movie for a fraction of what it cost Quentin Tarantino."

That said, I liked Bride of Chucky (Jennifer Tilly), and I liked Sleepy Hollow, tho a friend of mine said it was "repetitious." Well, it made a promise in the ad, and it kept it. Heads rolled. I am a big Tim burton fan.
Not sure how well it's held up but I enjoyed it in the 90's. Lot of fun. Btw Robert Rodriguez directed, Tarantino wrote the screenplay.

My pubescent self will always be grateful that it gave me this:
Old 06-16-2018, 07:27 AM
Evil Dead

growing up with horror movies

Time sure makes changes. I was a teenager in the 1970s, and I am pleased that so many of the horror movies that got no respect at the time are now considered classics. I see some movie in my cable listings and think "They give this movie four stars! I never would have expected that."
Old 06-16-2018, 07:34 AM
Evil Dead

Defect in Bram Stoker's Dracula

Keanu Reeves has learned to act a little since "Bill and Ted's excellent adventure" but I still think his performance as Jonathan Harker was pathetic.

One interesting think about Anthony Hopkins's performance is that he tried to talk kind of like Van helsing does in the book. The only other actor, to my knowledge, who tried to do that is Frank Finlay, in the tv movie of Dracula that starred Louis Jourdan

Hee hee! I remember that when Bram Stoker's Dracula came out, some critics praised it for its faithfulness to the book, proving that they had not read the book.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:46 AM
Rotten Stinky Zombie

Quote:

Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd are my two all-time favorite movies by Tim Burton because they aren't just horror, they are horror-fantasy. I especially love the fact that Sweeney Todd is a musical because that makes it an extra unique horror movie. Johnny Depp is a great actor and Christina Ricci in Sleepy Hollow and Helena Bonham Carter in Sweeney Todd gave such excellent performances.

As for Quentin Tarantino... I really don't like any of his movies. I mean there was a time when I liked the Kill Bill movies until I realized just how ridiculous they were.

Oh and Bride of Chucky was great. I loved Jennifer Tilly as Tiffany she added something special to the Child's Play series.

Last edited by LuvablePsycho; 06-16-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:47 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Keanu Reeves has learned to act a little since "Bill and Ted's excellent adventure" but I still think his performance as Jonathan Harker was pathetic.

One interesting think about Anthony Hopkins's performance is that he tried to talk kind of like Van helsing does in the book. The only other actor, to my knowledge, who tried to do that is Frank Finlay, in the tv movie of Dracula that starred Louis Jourdan

Hee hee! I remember that when Bram Stoker's Dracula came out, some critics praised it for its faithfulness to the book, proving that they had not read the book.
Keanu Reeves' acting in Dracula is absolutely atrocious. That guy is really hit or miss, with about a 50% success rate! Thumbsucker was really the first movie that I thought...oh hey, he can act! Just not all the time.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:07 PM
ventricle

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeg Head1 View Post
Keanu Reeves' acting in Dracula is absolutely atrocious. That guy is really hit or miss, with about a 50% success rate! Thumbsucker was really the first movie that I thought...oh hey, he can act! Just not all the time.
Keanu plays Harker very straight-laced, subdued, a model of self-control -- perhaps an architype of the era and setting -- which I thought was, in principle, authentic. Did he lack acting range when it was required? Maybe... but I don't remember being lost as to where Harker was in thought and feeling when I watched the film.

In fact, I found Reeves more memorable and accessible than David Manners was in Dracula (1931) -- but considering my criticism of Manners in my Dracula review, that isn't a ringing endorsement of Reeves -- but does mark a trait of the Harker character himself. Who do we want to play Harker, Chris Tucker?

Last edited by Sculpt; 06-16-2018 at 04:10 PM.