Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 AM
Wicked Witch Of The North

Send a message via MSN to BookZombie Send a message via Yahoo to BookZombie Send a message via Skype™ to BookZombie
I find it interesting that even so early in movie history they still did remakes. But I agree it is a far to overlooked film, and far to many vampire movie fans do not even know it exists, and that is a shame as it is definitely one to give at least one watch.
@}->-If you are ever attacked by vampires, held hostage by aliens, haunted by angry ghosts, put on a zombie's menu, stalked by an undying killer or in other ways find yourself in a horror movie situation, never, ever go near the bathroom!-<-{@
Old 03-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookZombie View Post
I find it interesting that even so early in movie history they still did remakes.
I though people might argue that its from the writren source rather than being remakes but there were close to 10 version of the Hound of the Baskervilles made before 1940. Thats before cinema was 4 decades old..

People moan about remakes - no new ideas etc but its always been the same....Ferretchucker has some quote from my Grandfather bitching about the Universal series in his sig...nothing changes...
Old 03-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
I though people might argue that its from the writren source rather than being remakes but there were close to 10 version of the Hound of the Baskervilles made before 1940. Thats before cinema was 4 decades old..

People moan about remakes - no new ideas etc but its always been the same....Ferretchucker has some quote from my Grandfather bitching about the Universal series in his sig...nothing changes...
It's true that remakes are nothing new, but the sheer volume of them in the past decade is unheard of. The 1980s had the second highest amount of remakes which was less than half of the 2000s remakes.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Scares Little Kids

Let The Right One In

The Swedish movie "Let the Right One In", based on a novel by John Ajvide Lindqvist, was incredible. It's not the scariest movie I've ever seen, but the way he portrays vampires is awesome. It's a different perspective than usual. It's such a beautiful story, and with a very happy ending. His novel was published in 2005, then they made a movie in 2008. Now there is a new English version of the movie called "Let Me In"... it's not a complete slasher film, but if you're looking for an amazing story I highly recomend it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reRRAEVHq8E
Old 03-16-2011, 07:14 PM

Send a message via MSN to BookZombie Send a message via Yahoo to BookZombie Send a message via Skype™ to BookZombie
Well yes Spanish Dracula is more like a side production than a remake, but yes it is the same principle, make something with your language and which fit your culture better than a movie from another nation.

I think that the reason why we see so many remakes now is the economic crisis. After all a old movie already have a following who is likely to see a new version, whatever they like it or not, it is just safer to remake something than to gamble on something new when the money is tight.
@}->-If you are ever attacked by vampires, held hostage by aliens, haunted by angry ghosts, put on a zombie's menu, stalked by an undying killer or in other ways find yourself in a horror movie situation, never, ever go near the bathroom!-<-{@
Old 03-17-2011, 02:03 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWickerFan View Post
It's true that remakes are nothing new, but the sheer volume of them in the past decade is unheard of. The 1980s had the second highest amount of remakes which was less than half of the 2000s remakes.
Its true there is a huge amount of them being made but theres is also incredible increase in horror films being made right now too..Films are much cheaper to make now then they used to be. Hi quality DV is so cheap and the diting process is so much easier compared to film.

It would interesting to compare the amount of horror films made in the 80's compared to the naughties and what perentage are remakes.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:19 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:
Its true there is a huge amount of them being made but theres is also incredible increase in horror films being made right now too..Films are much cheaper to make now then they used to be. Hi quality DV is so cheap and the diting process is so much easier compared to film.

It would interesting to compare the amount of horror films made in the 80's compared to the naughties and what perentage are remakes.
I will try and do that; IMDB is acting up at the moment (apparently there were no horror movies released at these times!!:eek:).
Old 03-17-2011, 05:19 AM

Well what I can say is that horror movies while still seen as a bit of a guilty pleasure is gaining respect. More and more often horror films is at the Oscars. Perhaps there is just more money for monsters in this day and age, both for original films and remakes? Though I still hold that the bad economy that have been the last few years perhaps can explain some of why there are so many remakes.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Whip In My Valise

Quote:

Okay, you're right. The volume of films made in the 2000s also doubled so the ratio of remakes to original remained pretty much the same.

However, I'm still tired of remakes dammit!:p
Old 03-19-2011, 06:38 AM

I am fine with remakes as long as they also make completely new original movies. As long as they make more horror movies I am happy. But I do prefer originals to remakes, unless it is more Dracula movies, you can never have to many Dracula movies. :D